Handcent SMS a problem for Moto Droid?

leland

Reaction score
I have been having issues with handcent. Lots of lag, need to force close. It's not just handcent, but I text more than anything so I notice it there most.

I have a stock, rooted froyo phone. I'm debating a factory reset versus loading up a new kernel / rom.

Bdog

Reaction score
If Handcent is giving you trouble, I think ChompSMS is a good alternative. They both have that iPhone text bubble look that I absolutely hate

OP
Y

yago20

Reaction score
So I just got back from the Verizon service center in my area, again because the phone is still freezing up and restarting. I told the gentleman behind the counter about my previous service attempt. Again I was asked if I was using a virus program, which I am not. This time I was informed that my phone is freezing and having problems not because of software on my phone (since I deleted almost everything off of it) but because I am NOT USING ADVANCED TASK KILLER!!! The service guy said my phone is locking up because it is running out of memory. He said Android software does manage the memory, but doesn't do a good enough job. Now I'm stuck with advanced task killer and memory booster lite until it freezes again. I wish there was another service center near me.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you called a corporate number, because this sounds borderline ridiculous ?

velocity92c

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, if you don't root/mod your phone why on earth would you NOT want a D2 replacement? It's basically the same phone with a better keyboard and double the speed (essentially).

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of people don't like the MotoBlur experience and giving up the Vanilla Android just isn't worth it, although the D2 keyboard is quite an upgrade

hapster

Reaction score
I've used handcent since I got my Droid in March. I seriously doubt it being the cause of your probs. The dev is very good at keeping it updated, too.

Sent from my Moto Droid

OP
Y

yago20

Reaction score
I like my phone and don't really care about the upgrade even though I am not rooted. I would accept a replacement original moto droid if they would do it, but these guys won't offer a replacement phone as a solution. To update everyone since this morning, my phone just froze again. My wife will be in the area of the service center tonight, so she is taking it with her and demanding a new phone. At this point they will give me a replacement phone, or I just won't pay my bill since the phone I have (that is still under warranty) doesn't work and they won't fix it.

OP
Y

yago20

Reaction score
I like my phone and don't really care about the upgrade even though I am not rooted. I would accept a replacement original moto droid if they would do it, but these guys won't offer a replacement phone as a solution. To update everyone since this morning, my phone just froze again. My wife will be in the area of the service center tonight, so she is taking it with her and demanding a new phone. At this point they will give me a replacement phone, or I just won't pay my bill since the phone I have (that is still under warranty) doesn't work and they won't fix it.

EDIT: My wife was able to get me a new phone on order. Should be here Wednesday. I didn't get much of the conversation but she did mention that she was dealing with the same guy I talked to earlier. Another Verizon employee was questioning why this guy recommended that I use Advanced Task Killer though. Hopefully the new phone won't have these problems.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
A lot of people don't like the MotoBlur experience and giving up the Vanilla Android just isn't worth it, although the D2 keyboard is quite an upgrade

I agree tparker.. I use the D2 keyboard on my D1. I know it jacks up the slide out keyboard (used to anyways, maybe fixed I don't know) but since the only button I ever use on the slide out is X and it does just fine, I don't care. LOVE LOVE the D2 on screen keyboard!!

OP
Y

yago20

Reaction score
Well, I just got my new phone (a refurbed Droid 1) and I was happy until I got home. The replacement phone will not turn on WiFi. By not turn on I mean I can turn it on, it will search for networks and then give me an error that says "unable to search for networks". It then either force closes or turns off WiFi. I really don't want to go back to that Verizon Service Center again...

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
It's on my phone and I have not had an issue with this program at all. VZ CSR are bad answering questions, last week I when to VZ to buy a case for my father in law and I overhear a lady asking questions about the battery issue that she was having with her Droid but they could not help her. They asked her to buy a new battery to resolve her issue. She was mad because the phone was only a month and half old, however I recommended her to this site for further information. My point is that you can find must of the information that you need in this site or internet. VZ CSR needs more training to accommodate their customers.

Dj blare

Reaction score
Well i dont deal with ppl i just call vzw. I had the same issue with my battery and the guy just asked a few questions (you know the kind of Q's they use to know if i even know how to use a phone lol) and they sent me a new phone. And if you go to a customer service you mite get lucky and find a guy that loves helping and actually knows about the phones or some unhappy employee that hates his job and dealing with ppl.