Handcent SMS a problem for Moto Droid?

yago20

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my Moto Droid freezing, shutting down and restarting since the Froyo push. I have since deleted all programs except those that I have had since about day 1 with the phone. My phone is stock, and never been rooted. I took it too the Verizon Wireless store today after it froze and restarted again. The guy who looked at it said he changed a few settings, but didn't see anything that would cause this problem. He said if it does it again, to remove Handcent. If it does it after that, they will exchange my phone. I asked him about his recommendation to remove Handcent, and he said he's seen it cause a lot of problems on this phone. Anyone else here of Handcent causing problems? I've been through this forum for a while and read the new threads on a daily basis. I searched "handcent" and didn't come up with anything like this. For now I have removed Handcent, but I can't stand the stock messenger. Anyone else have this problem or should I get a second opinion?

Thanks!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should get a second phone, under warranty...it is unfortunate but not all VZW employees have valid information, as far as Handcent causing your problems, that sounds ridiculous to me

I have never had an issue with Handcent

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I highly doubt handcent is the issue. The VZW guy is clueless.

mikespe

Reaction score
If you read the comments section there have been many problems with Handsent since the Froyo update. It's getting better with the last update. I waited until today to update Handsent because of the problems people were having. I haven't received any texts since I updated but I am keeping an eye on it

OP
Y

yago20

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I am going to put up with this for the rest of the weekend. Once it restarts again I'll take it back for the exchange. Hope I don't end up with a Droid 2 though because I do love this phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been using Handcent since last November when I picked up my D1.

As for the VZW rep.... clueless in this instance.

xpezdj

Reaction score
I've been using handcent for a longgg time. Zero problems here. Just recently re-rooted aswell and still running smoooth.

Dj blare

Reaction score
I have had some issues with my phone since froyo it became really slow but only happens sometimes elike just now im typing and it takes like two orthree seconds for the words to appear so i now wonder if it isnt handcent also ill uninstall it and see wat happens has anyone had speed issues with since froyo?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had some issues with my phone since froyo it became really slow but only happens sometimes elike just now im typing and it takes like two orthree seconds for the words to appear so i now wonder if it isnt handcent also ill uninstall it and see wat happens has anyone had speed issues with since froyo?
I doubt it's Handcent. Most likely Froyo is the culprit as other users have seen issues after updating.

OP
Y

yago20

Reaction score
I doubt it's Handcent. Most likely Froyo is the culprit as other users have seen issues after updating.

I agree DJ - My phone is horribly slow without Handcent. I would leave Handcent on. I only took it off of my phone so that when I take it back to Verizon I can say I did everything they asked me to and I'm still having the problem.

northwestyew

Reaction score
i swear by handcent its been running so smoothly ive deleted the stock messager

Riley

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with handcent in that I'll get 3 of the same message in a row from certain contacts. Is that handcent or verizon I wonder?

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
I had similar problem with program and I resolved by going to setting and taking my notification off from the phone because handcent sms has its own. Just try that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk