handcent = slow dx

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
Ok so I have uninstalled handcent deleted all handcent threads and also did a battery pull but my droid still runs kinda slow

I read on other threads that when people got new droids or updated their software to the new version that the droid lacked, but then got better in a day or so.

Handcent is the only app that I have installed ( I re-installed it as it was still running slow after the unistallation f hancent).

I have no games installed and really only use my phone (so far) for some texting and a few phones a day.

Any help to speed it up????

Also phone is stock (unrooted)

rayne58

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and I was constantly floating at like 35mb...I was always thinking of rooting but I was just hesitant I decided to say screw it lol nd rooted with z4root installed auto memory manager set it to aggressive speed problems solved

I then went on to flashing roms lol me personally I suggest apex :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Rocko

Reaction score
Have you cleared the phones Cache? Power off, Hold in power and home button until icon appears on screen. Hit search button, then use volume to move to Clear Cache partition, then hit camera button. Then reboot system when done. Try this and report back.

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
Clearing the cache seems to have made a little difference but not much. The auto rotate in handcent is still kinda slow.. like I said mabe I am just being too picky about this but the phone was so fasst right out of the box

COuld it have anything to do with sync-ing to my face book account???

I have turned off the "news update" and force stopped some of the verizon instaled applications that I figure I wont really use

Does the phone need a few hours or a day after clearing the cache to speed up??

Rocko

Reaction score
No. Might just be handcent on your phone. You could try a master reset, but this will wipe your entire phone, then add back handcent and try that. I uninstalled it becuase it was a bit laggy and the auto rotate on the quick reply worked only half the time. It does have a lot of cool features though.

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
I just noticed that my dx has version .151 so I am downloading version .350

I dont know if that wil make any ifference or not but I have read that I ca root using Z4root once I have have version .350

I am still hesitant about rooting but I am leaning more and more towards rooting it. If I do decide to root it looks like I will be able to delete some of the verizon installed apps suchs as the blockbuster app and others. I do not use these apps nor do I intend to. By deleteing some of these apps will that help speed my phone up??

My only concern with doing so is that not knowing how these apps may interact and I am afraid that deleting any verizon installed apps may cause problems somewhere else.

Any advice from experienced "rooters" is appriciated. Please let me know what apps are pretty safe to delete or if it even makes much of a difference at all if these apps are already force stopped

Rocko

Reaction score
I would try to figure out for sure it's the apps slowing down your phone, or the phone itself before you root. If it's the phone itself, a master reset will tell you. If it is the phone, exchange it as it's defective.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd do some research into what's slowing down your phone as well.

Handcent isn't the cause... way too many users without any issues. It's a solid app that's been around for a long time.

I didn't see if you answered earlier in the thread.... do you have a task killer (Advanced Task Killer or something similar) or an anti-virus installed? I know you stated you hadn't installed anything other than Handcent, but the VZW rep may have installed one of those crap apps. They WILL slow your device down.

Did you disable the notifications and auto-retrieve from the stock messaging app?

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
To answere your question... no I have no anti-virus or task killers installed.. I got the phones from a rep over the phone and no rep has touched the phone so I don't think that one of those has been installed

I may have disabled notifications but am not compeletly sure

Rocko

Reaction score
Master reset after backing up your contacts, etc.

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score

Sorry I'm a total noob and really don't want to mess up my phone Can I just use the "back up" that comes on the phone to back up my contacts?

Now: how to master reset???

Thanks in advance for the help here.

Rocko

Reaction score

Sorry I'm a total noob and really don't want to mess up my phone Can I just use the "back up" that comes on the phone to back up my contacts?

Now: how to master reset???

Thanks in advance for the help here.

Yes, the backup assistant will work. Run it before you master reset.

To complete a Factory Data Reset:

1. From any homescreen of your phone, tap the Menu hard key.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll down and tap Privacy.
  4. Scroll down and tap Factory Data Reset.
  5. Tap Reset Phone, confirm to execute.

It may take from 5 to 45 minutes for your handset to power back on and get to the initial Android welcome screen.

You will need to enter your google email and other email settings after.

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
tried the master reset and really no luck..... starting to lean towards z4root and using launcher pro.... still doing some more searching on these