Handcent setup help ! - still being charged for text messages ??

ontop

Reaction score
I am newbie so be easy...
I bought a Samsung with android Froyo on it.

I want to use WIFI and 3g for text messaging, to omit my carriers per text charges with default texting app.

HOw can I do this?
I installed HANDCENT and turned off NOTIFICATIONS on the default app.

Then I did test text back and forth and I got charged still from carrier when I checked the carrier's website.

What do i need to do to setup HANDCENT after downloading and installing? Is there a step by step or video to show this? What am I missing?

(I've spent 4 hours on setup and am tired)

Thanks in advance.

(PS I am also playing with textplus now to see if that is better.)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Ok, so text messaging apps like Handcent, Go SMS, Chomp SMS, etc. are only replacement apps for your stock text messaging app. It will not keep you from being charged for texting. I'm not even sure if you can send texts through WiFi with a standard text message app. The only way is to not text at all.

With that being said, Textplus is the ONLY way that you can text with WiFi and not be charged for it. It's a free app with free texting over WiFi.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

Last edited:

chrisnelson24

Reaction score
Handcent is an sms service that uses your stock messging and pretty much lets 3rd party apps intrcept it. If youre looking for an app that just sends/receives text using ONLY data and not a texting plan, there are a few but i use heywire. Only bad thing about that is they issue u one of their phone numbers. But you dont need a texting plan, just a data plan :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums