Handcent. . .Reinstallation from Market

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today I was on a phone call and a text came in and locked up Handcent to the point where I needed (or felt that I needed) to uninstall the application, with the hope that I could reinstall and start fresh, but when I went out to the Market the option to install is grayed out and not selectable.

I have sent a message to the developer, but has anyone encountered this, either with Handcent, or any other application that you needed to reinstall?

Any help is appreciated.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I deleted handcent this morning because of too many FCs, trying Chomp instead. I just went to the market and handcent is downloadable for me. Did you try restarting your phone them going back to the market to try again?

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think so - I went into Menu>Applications>Manage Applications and uninstalled the app and the Font Packs that I had installed, so unless I am missing something that should uninstall it.

The app was working great for me up until that time - hoping I can find a way to reinstall it.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AZDroid09, did both a soft restart and even did a battery pull. Can try it again, I will try anything

3turner

Reaction score
This is something I'd like to know also. Not particularly with Handcent, but other Apps that I've uninstalled but cannot reinstall because the install button is grayed out in the Market. I thought that it was the method I had uninstalled, using the marked uninstall button. The only way that I have been able to reinstall Apps are when the developer pushed out an update. Battery pulls and restarts didn't help either. I think there is a file on the phone in the system folders that report to the Market that certain Apps are on the phone when they no longer are.

gentlefury

Reaction score
Handcent has been FCing several times a day for me lately....deleted it yesterday.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok i just did some googling and this is what i came up with that seemed to work with everyone having that problem (and there were lots)

Go to menu, applications, manage applications, open Market app, and select uninstall Market updates. When you start the Market app again you have again accept the terms and it starts clean. Then you can reinstall apps that have trouble or delete through the Market Download area. This technique reopens the options to install a grayed lower menu on the detail area of an app.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, perhaps that is where I am lost - I follow the instructions and scan through my list of applications and do not see any that even have the word Market in the title and none of the icons look like the Android market one.

I appreciate the help, but seem to be one step closer to lost, but still lost. Sorry if I am being dense. . .

bigthinker

Reaction score
I deleted handcent this morning because of too many FCs, trying Chomp instead. I just went to the market and handcent is downloadable for me. Did you try restarting your phone them going back to the market to try again?
I have had and used both...Phone experienced problems with BOTH....So, UN Installed both and will not go back...I know others have had ok or good results with each....Sad to say, I have not...I'm ok with it though!!! :motdroidhoriz:

Lars1

Reaction score
I have had this happen to me before, damn annoying:mad: In the future, only uninstall from the marketplace, not the app manager. It has worked gr8 ever since.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I like Handcent.. hope it doesn't start fudging up on me too...

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To close the loop on this issue - I went to the Market, saw the developer's email address and sent him a message and he was kind enough to send me the apk. I am back up and running with Handcent and it is working fine. Nice to get that kind of responsiveness. Big Handcent fan!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try taking ur droid into the shower with u n give it a good ole scrubbing

that should do the trick

disclaimer: i will not be held responsible for any damage to your device. I will laugh out loud (lol) at you.