Handcent problem

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Good point. I didn't think of it that way. I had the mind set that running 2 apps that do almost the same thing would be wasting memory.

Well it would be difficult, even with root access, to remove the native messaging component, since it is integrated into the Android OS.

You have to remember that that native messaging is a component of the OS, not an independent app. If we remove it, chances are high that the OS would be unstable.

I highly doubt that the native messaging component uses a large amount of space. I suspect the messages themselves to consume a considerable more amount than that actual messaging component. You know how quick 100+ messages (god forbid picture/video ones) can fill up some space.

I also think that you guys shouldn't worry about that. It would honestly not make much of a difference in space if it was there or not. Don't get too paranoid about such a small issue.

I think the bigger picture is why don't we have handcent quality messaging built into the native messaging component?

Either way, who is going to let this stop them from using handcent? :D Such a great app.

94DCTeg

Reaction score
I DL the handcent and for some reason not all my contacts are showing up in handcent unlike the standard messaging client, is there any way to fix that ??, I can go into my regular messaging client and see there FB pictures and my full contact list with the regular messaging client. how do I sync all all my contacts to show in handcent messaging

Thank you

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
LOL. Out do realize handcent doesn't have a contact list right? That's just people you have exchanged messages with. You have to use the phones contact list to see all your contacts. It would be hard to find messages if it listed every contact on that window.

94DCTeg

Reaction score
LOL. Out do realize handcent doesn't have a contact list right? That's just people you have exchanged messages with. You have to use the phones contact list to see all your contacts. It would be hard to find messages if it listed every contact on that window.

yes my bad I do appoligize.

Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone else have their Handcent notification set to Vibrate 'only when volume set to vibrate"? Reason I'm asking is because my phone is on Ring & vib for calls and I've got the native messaging disable but my phone does not vibrate when receiving texts. Any ideas?

antgash

Reaction score
about 5 minutes ago handcent force closed, and then all of my sms were deleted with it. that's the second time that's happened in the past 2 weeks. uninstalled.
i personally find the customization options with sms popup much better. you can personalize the notification tones for individual contacts. as well as change the color & frequency of the LED and vibration. the frequent crashes of handcent weren't that big of a deal, but erasing ALL of my sms... unforgivable.

mrpbjnance

Reaction score
Does SMS Popup work for Droid.
I dowloaded it I can set settings but I may be clueless but I cant send a text What am I doing wrong all I see is the settings window

antgash

Reaction score
yea, i use sms popup on my droid. it's not a replacement for your messaging app. it just acts as a notification service for incoming messages. you just mess with its settings and then go on using your messaging app (just make sure to disable notifications in the messaging app). and like i said, it lets you change the tones for texts by contact, and change the LED color, and gives you a popup notification.

kman79

Reaction score
Was wondering if someone could help me out

I'm still receiving native android app notification icon in the status bar; I think there are two native notification icons, one is the Black Icon and the other is a Postcard looking icon. I DO have all notifications unchecked on the native messaging app, and i still get the postcard looking icon on my status bar everytime I get a Text along with the Handcent Icon.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated, thank you

kman79

Reaction score
The above problem is solved.

Basically, I have beautiful widgets installed, and within it, is an app called Beautiful SMS, well that has notification options that had to be turned off also....just an FYI just in case someone else had issues, sorry.

katg

Reaction score
Go into the settings for the Default Messenger service. Turn off notifications. Keep them on in Handcent application.
I have unchecked notifications with the droid messaging system. Yet I still get double notifications for both the standard and handcent. And I have powered off and on to restart the phone. Suggestions?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Go into the settings for the Default Messenger service. Turn off notifications. Keep them on in Handcent application.
I have unchecked notifications with the droid messaging system. Yet I still get double notifications for both the standard and handcent. And I have powered off and on to restart the phone. Suggestions?

Did you uncheck everything in the stock messaging app?

katg

Reaction score
did you uncheck everything?

Yes.. as far as I can see everything is unchecked!

nair

Reaction score
Firstly please forgive me I am a mechanical moron.
I have searched for past hour looking for help but cannot find it.
I downloaded handcent also because I want the option of blocking someone.
When I long hold the thread I do not get a block option.
I get......
lock message
call
forward
copy
add to quick text
" " " on line
delete message
speak text
view message details.

How do I get up the box to block someone.

katg

Reaction score
blocking someone

When you have someone who text you. And you don't want to receive notifications from them any more. When in your message list you hold down that persons name in the list (of the thread) and a box will pop up. Scroll down it and you will see BLACKLIST. This makes it so you receive no notifications from that person. They will text you, but you never receive it, unless you take them off the list.

Hope this helps.