Handcent on Charge?

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by ripstar42, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ripstar42

ripstar42 New Member

I know it is missing from the market, so I downloaded straight from the site. How do I replace the stock messaging with handcent and how do I replace the tray icon with something else?

Thanks
  2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

What do you mean "Replace stock messing"? I can not remember the original look of the phone, but to replace the stock shortcut in the dock, just hold it for a second or so and a screen will pop up where you can change the app that is launched and then the icon.

I use Launcher Pro and have the docked icons on the side of the phone. The above procedure is how I change the programs in that dock. It originally had the stock message app in that dock and I replaced it to open Handcent and I chose the Handcent icon to replace the stock messaging icon.

A word of caution is to not freeze or delete the stock messaging app. I did that on my Droid 2 and lost MMS in Handcent.
    I think last night I saw in Handcent settings an setting to make Handcent the default messaging app which I had checked some time in the past. I believe that stops the phone from asking which texting app to use when you want to text from an email or while in some other app.

Hope this helps.

PS I had to download Handcent directly also.
  3. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

Hey, I just found this in another thread.
    "If you mean the four apps at the bottom, those are editable and you can choose which apps are there. Open Applications, then hit the little gear icon in the top left, then long press and drag whichever app you'd like onto the bar at the bottom (I started using Handcent instead of the default Android Messaging - so this is where I did that)."

It is post 4 in this thread.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-charge-faq/169492-any-way-change-defualt-apps-app-bin-home-screen.html

I
    used Homeswitcher to launch the stock "home" and sure enough, you hit the Applications button next to the Message button in the dock and open up your app drawer and at the top is where the option is with the gear.
  4. ripstar42

ripstar42 New Member

Thanks! clicking the little gear icon took care of it!

Now how to figure out how to get a notification light!
Search tags for this page

handcent not compatible with droid charge