Handcent not showing Contact Names

Droidphoner

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted, but I've looked all over the internets and found no answers, only a handful of people with the same problem.
Whenever I try and use Handcent, I recieve a text from someone in my contacts, but instead of saying their name, it simply shows the number. I haven't synced my contacts list with Facebook or anything, so I doubt that's got anything to do with it.
Anyone know why this is or how to fix it? I'm currently stuck using the default messenger, and its terribly boring in comparison.
Thanks in advance

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Handcent? I know this seems like a pain but it may work. Your Handcent should display the names.... mine always has.

mrnelson86

Reaction score
It may sound silly, but are the numbers in your contacts under "mobile" or "home"? I had this issue when I facebook sync'd that they were under "home" which makes text messaging services only show the phone number because they don't think you should be texting a land line...

Stigy

Reaction score
Also do they disappear for a while in Handcent and then come back or do they ALWAYS not show up when receiving a text message?

OP
D

Droidphoner

Reaction score
Wow... I guess I wasted yall's time actually haha. Turns out, I had a couple numbers saved twice, one with the name, and one without. So whenever I received a text from that person, it would just use the one without the name. Sorry guys, I feel kinda dumb. But Flipback, try making sure you're Contacts is crisp and correct, because that appears to be the common problem. Either make sure you don't have a "mobile" number saved as "home" or that you aren't trying to text a number that you have saved twice.
Again, sorry for being dumb and thanks for the help guys.

xlapus

Reaction score
I'm not having quite the same problem, but I Handcent only seems to be showing a handful of my contacts.

I've tried looking for a Sync Contacts option in the Handcent app itself, but I have't found it.

I think it's only showing contacts I've manually entered, and nothing from Facebook, which is why I was looking for the Sync w/ FB option.

ManBearSquid

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. Some of my contacts get the name/pic treatment and others don't.

My contacts list is clean, one entry per number, mobile devices set as Mobile, not Home or anything else. Most of my contacts were entered only as a name, which then synced with Facebook, then had a phone number added if it wasn't provided by FB.

I'd love to use Handcent, but this problem is a dealbreaker. I've gotta know who I'm talking to without memorizing everyone's phone number.

maddogz

Reaction score
Same Problem, Easy Solution

So, I cleared the cache of my contact storage and lost all my contact names in handcent, instead just numbers were showing...

Now, all my contacs are synced via google... so, i went to accounts and sync in the main menu settings, went to my google account, unchecked sync contacts, synced, then re-checked sync and re-synced...

Voila! It worked, all my names reappeared in handcent! So, maybe give that a shot...? Hope this helps for someone...