Handcent issues

ejbaca03

Reaction score
I updated Handcent last night and also got the much awaited OS update and now I cannot get my photos to show on Handcent for my contacts. Does anybody have any suggestions to remedy this. Also now when you send a new text message using Handcent, typing the name does not work, you have to enter the phone number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I updated Handcent last night and also got the much awaited OS update and now I cannot get my photos to show on Handcent for my contacts. Does anybody have any suggestions to remedy this. Also now when you send a new text message using Handcent, typing the name does not work, you have to enter the phone number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Were they on there before due to facebook sync?

OP
ejbaca03

ejbaca03

Reaction score
Yes, they were there before.

OP
ejbaca03

ejbaca03

Reaction score
Would there be a way to go back to a previous version?

JayMonster

Reaction score
I just ran the latest update of Handcent 2.9.20 (which oddly enough one of the fixes was improved service for Droid), and so far all my contacts are still showing the Facebook photos.

OP
ejbaca03

ejbaca03

Reaction score
I don't have or use a Facebook account. I just setup my contact with photos and it was using those contacts in Handcent.

bigthinker

Reaction score
I chose to take the Handcent app off the phone for the time being due to issues like this....

JayMonster

Reaction score
I don't have or use a Facebook account. I just setup my contact with photos and it was using those contacts in Handcent.

Opps, sorry about that... I know some had problems with the Facebook pictures, but this is a first hearing about local pictures not working. That is also working on my version of Handcent (2.9.20). What image size are you using for are you using for your thumbnails, small or large?

Also, I tried entering by name in Handcent, and that is working as well. I might suggest that if you have having that many problems, you may wish to uninstall and reinstall Handcent, because obviously something is not working correctly. If that doesn't help then you may wish to log it with Handcent (handcent.com • Index page

OP
ejbaca03

ejbaca03

Reaction score
There was a new update this morning that seems to have fixed my problem. I had already uninstalled and reinstalled 2.9.20. I was almost to give up on it until trying the update this morning. All is good now.

zegolf

Reaction score
When all else fails, uninstall and reinstall, or just do a hard reset. (CTRL+SHFT+DEL or battery pull). This seems to fix the majority of issues with 3rd party apps. I'm actually suprised more apps don't require a reboot, even if it's just a soft reboot.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent has been receiving multiple messages..... well in that case now that I think of it it's not actually Handcent...

if I'm receiving 4 or 5 of the same text when only one was sent where's the root of my problem? Network? App?

jdubbs23

Reaction score
I've done the uninstall/reinstall on numerous occasions after updates and still have the facebook picture syncing problem.

There was only 1 update about 2 or 3 updates ago when my pictures were showing up. Then one day it was just broken despite not having updated at all. The last few subsequent updates have not fixed it for me.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
more than likely the network Martin. It happens. Should remedy itself shortly

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
more than likely the network Martin. It happens. Should remedy itself shortly

Thanks CK. What I was figuring but wanted to double check since I did update manually.

Probably doesn't help the massive snow storm we're having right now :(

jthompsn

Reaction score
Do you have to delete the stock droid messenger in order to eliminate duplicates. I installed handcent and now I get two messages one from messenger and one from handcent. Or is there a way to make one the default? Thanks