Handcent ICS question

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that the number of new messages doesn't show up in the notification even if that option is selected? It hasn't worked a single time that I've seen. Wanted to know if it worked for anyone else.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Mine has worked every single time. If anything it's been running smoother since the latest update.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Really? You still see the red dot with the number on the notification bar? I thought maybe it broke with ICS and they never fixed it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh that number, now I do remember that number, you're right it has gone away. To be honest I text so much I completely ignore the notification other than what Lightflow shows me. Now that you mention it that unread notification count has gone away..

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
What do you mean? Doesn't Lightflow just blink the light? Or am I missing some other feature?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
The same holds true for GoSMS. There is no longer a red notification badge in the status bar with the notification icon to tell you how many unread texts you have. ICS must have broke this feature for some reason, across the board.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What do you mean? Doesn't Lightflow just blink the light? Or am I missing some other feature?
Yes Lightflow just blinks the light, but that's what I use for my notification. I don't even really pay attention to my notification bar anymore tbh, I got a specific notification set for any of my apps that need it

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
handcent just got an update, don't know if it fixed the problem though

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I switched to SMSPopup when handcent was glitching when I first got the Nexus and I love it.

Like Dezy said, I just have different colors for different notifications using lightflow. So when I see it blink I know whether it's an email/text/missed call ect...

What I like about SMSpopup is that when you get a text, it pops it up on the home screen in a box where you can either close, delete, or reply directly from the pop up. It just got updated as well and gave it a more ICS color scheme. I love it's functionality and coupled with lightflow it's perfect for managing texts.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I had to dump Handcent and switched to ChompSMS. Chomp seems rock solid so far. Only thing I miss from Hancent is allowed you to select MP3's when your alarm goes off (why that's not in stock Android I will never know).

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I switched to SMSPopup when handcent was glitching when I first got the Nexus and I love it.

Like Dezy said, I just have different colors for different notifications using lightflow. So when I see it blink I know whether it's an email/text/missed call ect...

What I like about SMSpopup is that when you get a text, it pops it up on the home screen in a box where you can either close, delete, or reply directly from the pop up. It just got updated as well and gave it a more ICS color scheme. I love it's functionality and coupled with lightflow it's perfect for managing texts.
Just checked it out on APlay and installed it-Thakz Liderc

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Found a link online that says to put a copy of the MP3 in the alarms folder. Did the trick so I can wake up to music again ;)

r314bd

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that the number of new messages doesn't show up in the notification even if that option is selected? It hasn't worked a single time that I've seen.
I'm having this exact same problem on my Motorola Droid 4. Ever since I upgraded to ICS, the number of new messages doesn't show up on the status bar icon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm having this exact same problem on my Motorola Droid 4. Ever since I upgraded to ICS, the number of new messages doesn't show up on the status bar icon.
Yeah the number thing doesn't work on ICS for some reason. You would think that would've changed with the 5 or 6 updates since it came out