Handcent cannot be set as Default messaging app since 2.2 update

Pidge

Reaction score
I updated firmware on my droid to 2.2.
I HATE it. I've had nothing but problems with lagging and major probs with Handcent not being able to be set as default messaging app.
I even uninstalled Handcent and reinstalled.....it does not bring up that popup window asking what you want set as default when you go to text, the first time you go to use it.

How do I a) get rid of 2.2 crap and go back to 2.1
or b) Fix it so Handcent can actually be default.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you actually cleared the defaults for whatever is your current default messaging app? There's no need to uninstall/reinstall. You can clear defaults for any app.

How do I a) get rid of 2.2 crap and go back to 2.1
or b) Fix it so Handcent can actually be default.
I doubt 2.2 is the issue but how exactly did you update to 2.2?

xxturbowesxx

Reaction score
settings>applications>manage applications>messaging>all>messaging>clear defaults

Then when you open handcent it should ask you which you would like to use as default check the checkbox and click handcent.

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
Yeah, I cleared defaults. Didn't fix it.
It most definitely is 2.2. Worked fine before that, even the day before. My provider's site said there was new firmware and directed me to Motorola's site (I have a Milestone) and I went to the Support - Software Update page and downloaded. Ran it, hooked phone to computer and installed it that way.

It's loading the stock messaging app when I touch the Messaging icon instead of Handcent (which it always loaded right up until I installed 2.2).
Is there something else I can check?
Both "Messaging" and "Handcent SMS" say "No defaults set" under "Launch by default." Did I forget to do something?

Also, whenever I leave the Market my home screen goes blank for 5 to 10 seconds now (since 2.2). Anyone else have that?

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
settings>applications>manage applications>messaging>all>messaging>clear defaults

Then when you open handcent it should ask you which you would like to use as default check the checkbox and click handcent.
I did that. And the popup window to allow you to choose your default messaging app does not come up when I go to text.

bosshog85

Reaction score
I'm also running 2.2 and I got Handcent to become default by pressing the menu button>settings>application settings and click the 2nd option, which will allow you to set handcent as default. Choose the 3rd option, or "all (sms/mms)

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
That's what I have it on right now. No dice. :(

Going to try uninstall/reinstall again.

Edit - Still doesn't prompt me for default messaging app

Last edited:
OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
:biggrin:
Maybe I have to wait for Handcent update, see if that brings up the prompt.

bullswife98

Reaction score
I use Handcent as a default messaging app but I have mine lock in memory with the rom I'm using.

ROOTED: DROID1 v 2.3.4 build
ROM: SIMPLY STUNNING5.4
KERNEL: CHEVYNO1 ULV1.1/OC@1100ghz of Awesomeness
THEME: THEME CHOOSER/EYE KANDI

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Just remove the messaging icon from your desktop and put the Handcent one in its place. That is what I did. No need to worry about which is the default.

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
That's what I've done.
Noticed I only get notifications (with LED light and icon in task bar) of new texts about 50% of time. Ergh. That's after updating Handcent yesterday.

viney8

Reaction score
Did You Ever Figure this Out?

That's what I have it on right now. No dice. :(

Going to try uninstall/reinstall again.

Edit - Still doesn't prompt me for default messaging app

I have this same problem. Did you ever figure this out?

viney8

Reaction score
When I attempt to select text messaging from my favorites list, it automatically prompts me to the stock messaging application. I want this to default to handcent. When I first got the phone it use to prompt me to select a messaging application (stock text messaging or Handcent). Now it just defaults to the stock text messaging application even through I have Handcent set up in the Handcent Application Settings as the default application for both MMS & SMS.

Need help with this?