Handbrake settings for Droid

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but about how long did it take using the methods above? I went Iphone + Ipod touch preset, then changed resolution to 720x480 and that's prett much it. For a 2 hour movie, it's telling me it's gonna take about 3.5 hours to encode. I've used handbrake a ton for my ipod touch, but mostly for tv shows, and it's been about 1to1 ratio for encoding, e.g. a 60 minute episode takes a little less than 60 minutes to encode, so this seems excessive.

That would depend on how fast your computer's processor is.

D

dvdcatalyst

The bigger screen size is what makes it take longer. You are dealing with a bit more than double the amount of pixels compared to the 480x320 iPhone resolution.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the quick replies. I was just about to post that I know the change in resolution and the fact that I'm doing it on a laptop would make it slower, but I was just wondering if it would be that slow. I guess I gotta find a good medium where it won't take all night to burn a DVD. Then again, if it looks as good as some of those trailers that you posted, it'll be worth it.

D

dvdcatalyst

Cool, thanks for the quick replies. I was just about to post that I know the change in resolution and the fact that I'm doing it on a laptop would make it slower, but I was just wondering if it would be that slow. I guess I gotta find a good medium where it won't take all night to burn a DVD. Then again, if it looks as good as some of those trailers that you posted, it'll be worth it.

Thanks, but the trailers are not done with Handbrake :)

Those are done with a different program (my own)
I wont go into too much details, but on my core2duo laptop, converting the trailers (720p Quicktime source) it runs at about 1.3x real-time, so 1 hour of video would take about 45 minutes. The trailers are done at 854x480 (full Droid res) at 1500kbps/160kbps. If you go a bit lower (those are the max settings the Droid can handle) it will be faster.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Yeah, since I had used Handbrake in the past and it's free I was gonna give it a few tries tonight. If I got tired of dealing it, I figured the price for DVDCatalyst isn't too shabby and I'd just get that, haha.

JamesX

Reaction score
Iphone standard setting takes i7 950 with 6 gigs of DDR3-2000 Ram 10-15 minutes to encode.

D

dvdcatalyst

Yeah, since I had used Handbrake in the past and it's free I was gonna give it a few tries tonight. If I got tired of dealing it, I figured the price for DVDCatalyst isn't too shabby and I'd just get that, haha.

what are the specs of your system?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Iphone standard setting takes i7 950 with 6 gigs of DDR3-2000 Ram 10-15 minutes to encode.

The RAM doesn't have much to do with how fast it take's the computer to encode a video. It's more about the processor.

Houndstooth

Reaction score

what are the specs of your system?

My system tab tells me I have an Intel Core2 CPU T7200 @ 2.0ghz with 2gigs of RAM, but I don't know the RAM speed. It's a Thinkpad I got a few years ago.

D

dvdcatalyst

My system tab tells me I have an Intel Core2 CPU T7200 @ 2.0ghz with 2gigs of RAM, but I don't know the RAM speed. It's a Thinkpad I got a few years ago.

Pretty close to mine. I'm running a Dell e1705 with a T7400 CPU (2.16Ghz, upgraded from a 1.83Ghz Core1Duo) and 2GB of memory, running win7 64bit. It's due for a wipe though.

For comparison, the same trailer using the iPhone profile (not Handbrake :)) converts at 2.4x realtime.