Handbrake settings for Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by docbest74, Dec 25, 2009.

1. docbest74

docbest74 New Member

So I used handbrake to format the movies from DVD to put on my blackberry storm. Now that I have left the BB world to droid I am wondering if anybody knows what the best settings on handbrake may be to have the best picture. I did transfer one over and it just doesn't fit the screen as well. So any advice would be great
  2. mynameiserich

mynameiserich New Member

I do iphone/ipod touch and it works great
  3. jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr New Member

DVD catalyst is the best for droid in my opinion. Try tools4movies.com I have 8 movies on my droid and they look great and sync great.
  4. ImBILLS

ImBILLS New Member

Also try double twist.
  5. bllarkin

bllarkin New Member

In Handbrake, I used the iPhone/iPod Touch as a base, then turned up the picture settings for a higher resolution and set the audio to stereo. Works great.
  6. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

can i use HB to convert AVI/MPG files to mp4 files to put on Droid? and or take a store bought dvd and convert it to put on the droid?

thanks
  7. bllarkin

bllarkin New Member

To convert DVDs, I use a 2 step process. MacTheRipper to rip the raw DVD files to my hard drive, then Handbrake to compress it into and M4V file for my Droid.
  8. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

There are quite a few posts regarding Handbrake and other solutions mentioned on this forum already, have a look through some of the posts here
    Droid Audio / Video - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    Also a search for "handbrake" here will bring up a lot of useful information.

Also, if your blackberry files are mp4 (H264/AVC formatted) they should play on the Droid as well :)
  9. Scottyrocket

Scottyrocket New Member

I have a video that is about 10 minutes long that I used HB for to put on an iPod Touch. I mounted my Droind to the Mac and dragged the video from from my iTunes folder and it transferred just fine. When I tried to play the video on the Droid, I got sound but no picture. I also had a problem that I mentioned to ViperBoy in another thread where I shot camera video and and the picture would freeze after a second or so but the sound would play all the way to the end of the clip. Not sure what I have going on here. Any ideas would be awesome...
  10. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...problems-playing-video-mp4-m4v.html#post79702
  11. lemodular

lemodular New Member

This is the best method using Handbrake. Set picture size 848x480 to utilize the Droid's awesome resolution. Codec should H.264 and bitrate should be around 700-1000. Anyone just using the iPod setting is missing out on all the Droid screen's glory. The encode achieved from Handbrake is awesome, I have tried MANY others, simpler, quicker, etc., etc. but for for the Droid, I like Handbrake.
  12. whopua

whopua New Member

I keep getting an error "No title(s) found. Your source may be copy protected...etc" with Handbrake. What do i need to get this movie onto my computer for conversion. What's a good ripper software with no strings attached?
  13. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I've never tried "mac the ripper" as suggested "looks like is for a Mac", but I do know "magic dvd ripper" works good. PM me if you like it and want to use it.
  14. transfigure

transfigure New Member

I struggled a bit with the Handbrake settings, and this is what I found for version 0.9.4, which is the latest version as of the time of this post.

In the Presets window, select iPod Legacy. Then, at the top of the window, click on Picture Settings. Increase the width to 720. This is the native width of DVD video. The height will read 400. That's fine. Leave it set at Anamorphic: None. If you turn on Anamorphic, you'll end up with video that looks distorted on the Droid. Don't touch any other settings - just name the video and click start. It will automatically fill the screen of the Droid and the quality is good.

Enjoy!
  15. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but about how long did it take using the methods above? I went Iphone + Ipod touch preset, then changed resolution to 720x480 and that's prett much it. For a 2 hour movie, it's telling me it's gonna take about 3.5 hours to encode. I've used handbrake a ton for my ipod touch, but mostly for tv shows, and it's been about 1to1 ratio for encoding, e.g. a 60 minute episode takes a little less than 60 minutes to encode, so this seems excessive.
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

That would depend on how fast your computer's processor is.
  17. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

The bigger screen size is what makes it take longer. You are dealing with a bit more than double the amount of pixels compared to the 480x320 iPhone resolution.
  18. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

Cool, thanks for the quick replies. I was just about to post that I know the change in resolution and the fact that I'm doing it on a laptop would make it slower, but I was just wondering if it would be that slow. I guess I gotta find a good medium where it won't take all night to burn a DVD. Then again, if it looks as good as some of those trailers that you posted, it'll be worth it.
  19. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Thanks, but the trailers are not done with Handbrake :)

Those are done with a different program (my own)
    I wont go into too much details, but on my core2duo laptop, converting the trailers (720p Quicktime source) it runs at about 1.3x real-time, so 1 hour of video would take about 45 minutes. The trailers are done at 854x480 (full Droid res) at 1500kbps/160kbps. If you go a bit lower (those are the max settings the Droid can handle) it will be faster.
  20. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

Yeah, since I had used Handbrake in the past and it's free I was gonna give it a few tries tonight. If I got tired of dealing it, I figured the price for DVDCatalyst isn't too shabby and I'd just get that, haha.
Search tags for this page
best handbrake settings for droid
format handbrake droid x
handbrake and android 2.2

handbrake droid

handbrake for droid
handbrake settings driod razr
handbrake settings for android

handbrake settings for droid

handbrake settings for droid x
handbrake settings for htc dna
play video on droid mini with handbrake