Hancent SMS??

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Skizz135, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Skizz135

Skizz135 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

Whats the benefit of Handcent over default messanger? Just a fancy bubble display is that all?

2. raven1911

raven1911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For me its the customization of how I get my notifications, changing the led light color, changing the ringtone of the notification and getting a pop-up window with my sms messages. You can do that bubble thing (I don't, I keep it Android style), but you can also change the text font and the color of the font. I like the ap. Its one of the best IMO.

3. Varking

Varking Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can hit the microphone button on the new keyboard and talk your texts to your phone and it will take what you say and convert it to text, for free. That is the biggest reason I snagged the app.

4. raven1911

raven1911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is something I haven't tried yet with Handcent. Do you need to download anything else besides the regular Handcent app for this to work?

5. Graffin

Graffin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your messages pop up instead of requiring you to go into messenger, which is nice. You can also reply right there without having to open your phone.

Customization is awesome, as well. LED color, text notification tone, everything you might want to change can be done with handcent. It rocks.

6. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The question is why would you keep the bubble unless your conversations are a couple words each. You don't have to keep that in Handcent...I made it default to the Android style. There is just a lot of customization within the text windows and other things like text-to-speech amongst other options.

7. Starsushi

Starsushi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where is this? I'm using handcent and can't find it...

8. NvrEnough

NvrEnough Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is usually on the -pop up- when you receive a message.

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    When the 'pop-up' is displayed there is a microphone icon near the entry field :)

When your replying/sending a message without the pop-up... press Menu, and 'Speak' (with the microphone icon) will be one of the options :)

10. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep flip-flopping between ChompSMS and Handcent. I keep returning to Chomp because I prefer the option to only have the pop-up display if the phone is unlocked. I couldn't find a way to change the setting in Handcent to do this without disabling it all together. I disliked turning my phone on and having an SMS pop-up in my face right away, but I still wanted them.

11. struong57

struong57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone figured out how to use or setup the contact groups on Handcent yet?

12. dannydoes

dannydoes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is in response to how to get the text to speech feature...

Also, when your in a text thread (non pop up), you hit menu>speak.

I like the app too. I don't use the iphone bubbles either. I don't use the pop up box, I find it annoying. Mine is set up to look and act exactly like messenger, but now I have the customization and the voice to text. So now I know by the color of the light if it's an email or a text message.

I got a question though, sometimes, like in the case where you select a contact first then say I want to test message, it'll ask you whether you want to use Handcent or Messenger. If I choose Handcent as the default so the pop up dialogue doesn't come up anymore, how do you change it back to messenger if you so choose?

#12 dannydoes, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
Search tags for this page

why hancent sms sometimes send text message