Had my Driod for about 2 weeks, stll tryin to get used to the physical keyboard...

brian67t

Reaction score
Ok, I am a recent convert from the RIM BB world. So far I like this phone a lot, but I am still fighting my carry-over habits from my BB. One of the features of the RIM products was the long-press for CAP letters while composing email /xtx'ing etc. This devise gives me all kinds of funky character choices when I long press a letter. I have NO use for any of those special characters, and I cannot tell you how many times I have had to close that option menu while trying to send a SMS/email. Is there anyway, software, settings etc to disable these "chicken scratch" letter options and maybe even force a CAP as a result of long-press? I'm not trying to turn my droid into a BB; that would be like casterating a Kentuckey Durby Champion race-horse! I just want to intigrate one of the most useful BB keyboard features into the only weakenss that the driod has shown thus far, the keyboard.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, I am a recent convert from the RIM BB world. So far I like this phone a lot, but I am still fighting my carry-over habits from my BB. One of the features of the RIM products was the long-press for CAP letters while composing email /xtx'ing etc. This devise gives me all kinds of funky character choices when I long press a letter. I have NO use for any of those special characters, and I cannot tell you how many times I have had to close that option menu while trying to send a SMS/email. Is there anyway, software, settings etc to disable these "chicken scratch" letter options and maybe even force a CAP as a result of long-press? I'm not trying to turn my droid into a BB; that would be like casterating a Kentuckey Durby Champion race-horse! I just want to intigrate one of the most useful BB keyboard features into the only weakenss that the driod has shown thus far, the keyboard.

Welcome, brian67t! Glad you've decided to join us! You'll find that everyone on the forum is here to help and to learn. So jump right in and make yourself at home!

The physical keyboard takes some getting used to. Personally I prefer the onscreen keyboard, and now with the 2.1 OTA, I use speech to text a lot instead of typing anything. Have you tried that yet?

Hope you enjoy your time here and if you get stuck or need some help, don't be afraid to ask!

:welcome:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Nope, it's not a blackberry and you can't make it act like a blackberry. I think that was one of my first issues too but I didn't have a hard time getting over it.

I also don't use the physical keyboard. I use the virtual keyboard because it's faster (for me) and it gives word suggestions.

mjs31

Reaction score

Hi. I don't think so. I assume you are talking about the physical keyboard? I don't use it at all, but I don't think there is this option. If you ever get into using the virtual keyboard I recommend trying smart keyboard. You can set a swype motion to basically act like you hit the shift key. This is super quick way to capitalize your next letter.

Good luck to you.

Mike

Xaneth

Reaction score
i'm also blackberry convert. i to miss the long press for caps. much like vlingo for blackberry android 2.1 has speech to text built right in. so far i'm enjoying the android much more because it's like having a laptop computer on my hip. i can vpn into the office and remote control servers throughout the organization both windows and linux.

as you probably already know android support push email and more than 1 exchange or gmail account. blackberries will still have a place in the office there's no doubt about that. the security of the blackberry device is not matched by any other device currently on the market. with a blackberry enterprise server i can remotely brick blackberry devices. i understand this functionality may come to android in the near future.

by the way i spoke this entire post , speech to text.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
brian67t

brian67t

Reaction score
Well, at least I know I'm not the only one that misses that feature. I guess I was just hopeing that one of you Linux guru's out there missd that feature as much as I do and had maybe done something about it by writing an app that offered that option. Maybe that'll be my inspiration to sit down and start learning to write code myself. (LOL, my dad's been doing that for IBM for like 27 years, but I have always been too lazy to learn.)

I do use speech-to-text. And have had pretty decent luck with it. There's no punctuation or even a single CAP letter as the 1st letter of a new phrase, but It does Pretty<> decent with anything that's not a proper name, or Acronym. I guess I'll try the virtul keyboard too, I just probably need to get used to that as well.
As for "push" email, as close as I can get to that is the gmail account and keeping "gtalk" turned on. But it does get the job done I suppose, as long as I have fdw rules set-up on my email client to auto fdw to my gmail accnt.

I definately like my droid! It is a much more fully functional device than a BB, so I dont see myself going back to RIM just for a keyboard function.

BTW, great forum, friendly people, great subject device and outstanding pool of "think tanks". I'm sure I'll get so much more out of my droid now that I know where to look for the information.
Brian