Had any unknown, unauthorized access to your Gmail recently?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
On April 4, I got a notice in my Gmail that there was access to my account from an unknown IP in a far away state. Changing my password was suggested. Although the original password was quite complex, I changed it and set up two step verification. Inasmuch as Android phones are not set up for two step verification, a sixteen character password was generated for me to use on my phone for gmail access. Then on April 6, my gmail account was accessed by essentially the same IP address (+1), in spite of the two step verification process. So I turned my suspicions to an app in my phone.
Astrid has become my primary suspect, since it has permission to access my Google calendar. No other app has access to any of my Google stuff.
I have deleted Astrid, changed my password, and changed the 16 character code supplied by Google. Time will tell if this does the trick.
Has anyone experienced Gmail access from an unknown source using Astrid or a similar app?
EDIT 4/10/11 If I determine the cause of unknown access to my Gmail account, I'll certainly update it here.

Last edited:

polack

Reaction score
when you went to install astrid didn't it tell you that it needed access to your account? I don't think they will ever do harm to you, they just need to know what tasks you have set up so they can sync up. I know three apps have acccess to my gmail account and i've never had a questionable thing happen. Just cause they are access your account doesn't mean they are doing harm. Astrid helps me in so many ways i would seriously let them spam ten of my friends just so i could still use the app.

nicholb

Reaction score
Two ideas.

First are you sure you don't have any malware on your computer which could be grabbing your password?

Second, could the mystery IP be the one your phone is using? Your provider could possibly be using an IP pool that corresponds to that other state.

mls21

Reaction score
How can you tell? I live in Norther VA (just outside of DC), and have seen Recent Activity in DC and MD - so that makes sense. However, I just saw activity on my account from New York City (and have seen it at least once in the past). Could this be my phone, just the local towers are using an IP normally designated for another region? Or does it mean someone up in NYC is using their phone to try and access my account?

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Every once in a while my ISP redirects my phone connection to NJ and I live in CA.
So I get a message, "was accessed by a device at xx.xx.xx.xx"
Proxies are fun!

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
...First are you sure you don't have any malware on your computer which could be grabbing your password?
Second, could the mystery IP be the one your phone is using? Your provider could possibly be using an IP pool that corresponds to that other state.
Have Norton Internet Security, have run Full System Scan which only found tracking cookies.
I'm in MD, when in western MD in an extended area, I see an IP addy in NY. The suspicious activity is from an IP located in Scottsdale AZ.
The suspicious activity occurred when I was home, has not occurred so far since the latest round of password changes (knock on wood).

Reaction score
This happened to me a month ago (no astrid). I updated and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
20 days later and no further suspicious activity on my account. Fingers crossed.
However, an issue that complicated things was Google's fault. There was a problem with mobile access to Picasa, and it kept asking for a password. Finally when Picasa Tool Pro by Colifer Labs (which I had installed) came out with an upgrade, they stated that the problem is not theirs, it was Google's, and I think it got Google's attention and was fixed.

Last edited:

Jennifre

Reaction score
mobile access using IP address in far-away state accessing gmail in spite of 2-step v

I recently set up 2-step verification because I was seeing tons of access to my gmail from states all over the place. I also changed my password, and it seemed fine, until last night I saw access from a mobile devices in a far away state. Could I have a keylogger on my phone? And if so, how can you go about removing that?

On a computer I always paste any PWs just to avoid keylogger issues; is there a way to do that on my phone?

Other things having my access are only Google Calendar and Google Latitude.

Thanks all for any help you know of; I hope it's easy. I obviously am a tech dork, married to another one. :-\