Had a MAJOR scare - Water Damage

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by Fault, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So me and my girl were laying in her bed today, watching some tv. She likes to lay weird in her bed sometimes, so her feet were where her head should normally be. When adjusting herself, she knocked over an entire cup full of cranberry juice. It spilled everywhere, but luckily, my $2000 lap top, my $120 motorcycle jacket, my gf's $300 purse, her $250 ipod, and my girls taxs that I had just completed; were all fine. The issue was, my phone, was in the center of the blast zone. I quickly moved everything out of the way, and disassembled my phone as quickly as possible. I cleaned off all the liquid I could, and then worked on cleaning the mess. My phone screen was on, and everything looked fine, but cleaned it out to be safe. After cleaning up the floor, I put the phone back together, and noticed the first problem. My phone was saying I had headphones plugged in, when I certainly didnt. Tried plugging and unplugging my headphones, nothing changed. While doing this, I got a phonecall, and luckily with headphones I could hear the caller, but they couldnt hear me.

Now Im a person who is very very slow to anger. I rarely get mad, especially when my girl is crying her eyes out cause she feels absolutly terrible. So I took apart the phone again, tried drying it out again, took some paper towel and some condensed air and tried to clean it out. I HIGHLY dont suggest using condensed air, because if it fires some of the liquid nitrous out, then you are doing a lot of counter productive work. I calmed my girl down, assesed any other damage to the other stuff in the room, and then waited a minute. While my girl was in the bathroom, I hoped on this site to get any advice, and saw something about putting it in a bag of rice. Made sense, so filled a ziplock with rice, shoved the phone in, made sure there was some rice in the headphone jack, and then watched tv, I knew there was nothing else to do at the moment. Then I began to consider my options, whether I wanted to get a new phone, another used droid, or what if I couldnt get this to work. Started considering like, well I could get the droid x, but the locked bootloader would piss me off; the htc incredible, but there isnt that great of rom support; then remembered that liquid has a thunderbolt rom out. Started to consider it, but remembered my contract isnt up till NEXT year, so it would cost me a TON retail. So decided Id have to get a used droid, but my big fear was it being stolen, so I couldnt use the phone.

Drove home, phone in bag. Kinda started to freak out, because I realized no matter what, I drive about 80 miles a day, and just the other day I had a tire blow on the highway. Luckly in michigan we have a courtesy patrol that if you call will help you by turning on sirens so people see you, and will help you with your car, free of charge. If something like that happened and I didnt have my phone to call, Im certain id be dead, because if anyone is from michigan you know how crazy I-75 at 8 mile is at rushhour.

Took the phone out of the bag, and cleared out all the rice. REALLY hard to get it out of the headphone jack, because one piece of rice had broken apart, so had to "scoop" it out with a paper clip.

Booted up the phone, moment of truth. After it FINNALY loaded, checked and saw, NO HEADPHONE ICON!!!! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid Very exciting. So one problem down. Now for the microphone. I went upstairs, grabbed my brothers phone, and made the call. Said hello, and sure enough, crystal clear, I COULD HEAR MYSELF!!!! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

In the end, it all worked out.

So what did I learn?
    -keep your phone away from any possible falling drinks
    -when your phone gets wet, take it apart immediately
    -dont use compressed air
    -rice is a great way to get moisture out of your phone
    -my gf makes messes

Thought id share my craziness, thanks for reading!

2. jeffly777

jeffly777 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While I feel for you, for some reason your story of cell phone moisture wackiness really made my night. For all that happens, at least I'm not making a long freeway drive with a bag of rice hiding a phone.

Thank you.

Thunderstruck

3. iNfAMOUS702

iNfAMOUS702 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having my own misfortunes ATM =\ ....I accidentally unrooted my Droid X running GB...then while flashing a new ROM for my tbolt it gets stuck in the boot animation so I battery pull and reboot only to find out I'm now back to stock EVERYTHING :( ...no biggie right?? Lemme re-root using adb....oh but wait.....NOW MY EFFIN LAPTOP WON'T BOOT UP!! -_-

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

4. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad someone else is enjoying my happiness too

5. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DON'T have your phone plugged in when you startup your laptop is my only suggestion. Whenever I plug in my phone ahead of time, my laptop will not boot up! Oh well :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. sarreq

sarreq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you might want top get yourself a bottle of 92% rubbing alcohol andgiver your phone a soak. sugar and juice acid can do a number on electronics even off they're dried up. just put the phone in something slightly larger than it is, cover it in the alcohol, put a lid on it, let it sit overnight, then redo the rice.

7. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea that's cause ur comp is trying to boot off ur phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. phreek

phreek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow man! congrats on saving your phone, i recommend the bag of rice trick to everybody when i hear stuff like this happen.

9. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Worked like a charm. Told 4 people at work about it so they could give it a try

10. jengas kahn

jengas kahn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i was expecting this to be a story about an std scare.

then i thought you were reporting water damage here because it's the liquid subforum.

really took me for a loop, YANOWHUDUMSAYIN?

Search tags for this page

blinking headphones on droid incredible

blinking headset icon htc incredible

damage symbol icon android headphone

droid incredible headset blinking

headphone symbol water damage
htc incredible headset icon
i spilt liquid on s3 now it says headphones are on
phone got wet headphone icon is on
phone wet android headphone icon
spilled water on phone and headphone icon shows