Hacking/tweaking 3G settings and the radio driver

skruid

Reaction score
I did all of this hack and went from 300kb/s up to 1.5mb/s, so far that is the fastest speed I have had, can defiantly tell a difference

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

oldblackcrow

Reaction score
Finally got all my rooting problems addresses, did the edit and works fantastic. Just curious though, does it work on other phones, like the original Droid? Many thanks to all those who developed and contributed!

D2G rooted.

clockcycle

Reaction score
Where do these parameters come from?

ro.ril.hsxpa=3
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=9

I want to be able to understand what I am configuring before just entering some random parameters. Where do these parameters come from? What device was this for originally? Aren't those settings beyond the D2G capabilities?

According to Motorola's specs, the D2G is capable of;

source: DROID 2 GLOBAL by MOTOROLA - Android Business Mobile Smartphone - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
WCDMA 850/1900/2100, CDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA 10.2 Mbps (Category 9/10), CDMA EV-DO Release A, EDGE Class 12, GPRS Class 12, HSUPA 1.8 Mbps

The first setting for (ro.ril.hsxpa) only has 3 options, 0,1 & 2, what/where does "3" set to?

HSDPA is category 9/10, yet here we're setting it to 28? And HSUPA is 1.8 Mbps, which is around category 3, why suggest setting to 9?

Anyone have links to sources showing the capabilities of the D2G and of each target carrier, in my case I would like those for AT&T/Straight Talk?

Thanks,

-CC

P.S. sorry if it sounds like weird questions, again I am just try to understand, in order to tweak the settings correctly.

Last edited:

sabiduria

Reaction score
Wondering?

The 3G tweak is as follows:
Open root explorer (or whices) and navigate to /data, long click local.prop and scroll down to open in text editor. at the end of local.prop add the following lines and an extra empty line at the end, then reboot. voila you should have a more consistent, less laggy 3G connection.

/edit You can find a scripted 3G tweak in zeppelin's newst verion of supercharger. Be warned though as this may not work at all or it may softbrick all wireless connections
the code is (much thanks goes out to Zeppelinrox)
ro.ril.hsxpa=3
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=9

again, save this at the end of build.prop WITH an extra empty line at the end, reboot and you're done. you may notice overall smoother download speeds, higher upload, and faster ping-pong roundtrips.

Now for the fun part! you can try this at your own risk, I have had no problems in the execution of this hack. Much thanks goes out to monks700 for helping me figure things out.

The Radiocomm radio driver Throttle Remover hack!

Okay so this should be relatively straightforward.
Radiocomm will run on W7 32-bit (also 64 bit. ignore any warnings/errors).
You need version 11.11.7 (download link is at the bottom of this post)
. The MA should be set to common->MDM 6x00,
Under the menu Settings->USB you should select PST driver.
Plug in the phone and put it in PC mode.
Radio detection should turn from red to green, A few motorola drivers may install.
Then use the arrow buttons at the middle right of the screen to scroll to the P2K 4 tab.
In the STElem / RDELEM box you will see a few text fields:

change element id to 01C2
record to 0001
offset is unchanged and
length to 0001
Data is 01
Press STELEM (one of the buttons in the box). The text box at the upper middle of Radiocomm will change to green and tell you that things were successful (if you scroll down a bit, that is) Go ahead and reboot your phone, it should be all set.

And thats all. I personally have noticed a definite increase and sustained rate of download speeds when in a high speed 3G area versus having the speeds jump around often

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7632904/RadioComm_v11.11.7_Install.msi, courtesy of pilonull - Works with 64 bit windows 7!

In Radiocomm, are you using HEX or DEC?

sacred_in

Reaction score
so far the first part works great, however the seccond part (with Radiocomm) will it work with win 7 x64?

Edit--
this brought my signal strength from (-95dBm) - (-93dBm) to (-90dBm) - (-88dBm)
this is just off of the first "hack"

I am not sure.. but I think if the manufacturer/provider has put restrictions on the signals then there must be some reason behind it. We must consider the health factor due to the increased radiations from the increased signals.... I don't want to scare but felt to highlight it ....

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
You felt the need to highlight something that is of no concern. Makes sense.

All transceivers are hardware-limited in their output power, and the first part of this so-called “hack” (which is more like driver tuning) doesn't affect the output power of the transceiver. It just configures the device to use more HSPA/GPRS channels and such.

It does not affect anything related to the CDMA part of the transceiver. At all. It's purely GSM-related.

The second part (involving Radiocomm) I have no clue about.

3kakr4

Reaction score
Based on this: change element id to 01C2

I'd say hex :)

fyi all - both the local.prop and radiocomm settings worked on the Droid Pro.

Second that. And by "second that" i mean "doing this hasn't horribly ruined my newly rooted droid pro that i finally got around to doing all the research on and that makes me happy." at the very least, i have noticed google gives me my search results a lot faster. :)

Btw ngtwolf: thanks for all your hard work troubleshooting the Pros. not a ton of interest in them like in the latest and greatest (read, biggest. lol) phones anymore, but those of us that still use them, appreciate it.

powtow

Reaction score
the first part works like a charm..!
i live in a remote random country with sucks internet connection, and this boost my 3G signal from 1 bar (out of 4) to 4 bar (out of 5) dancedroid
dancingDroid.gif

BUT....when i'm actively using 3G, my phone feels like cooking my hand...literally...and even after active usage, it stays more than just ordinary warm...
is this normal..? i don't think so...any insights?
i'm preparing to undo the changes...it's nonsense watching streaming video with medium-well-done hand...
besides, it's my primary (and ONLY) device, so i can't risk burning it...