hacking new droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JP5676, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JP5676

JP5676 New Member

hey everyone im new to hacking , and im def not a computer wiz.
    i have already downloaded the OTA update and just today learned of how i can mod my phone,
    i want to no if this is possible with the new update or not
    if so what do i need to do to hack ive looked at the videos and on the forum but am having a hard time finding a place with reliable links for me to get the necessary downloads for my pc
    please help
  2. bitter

bitter New Member

No. Rooting with stock 2.1 is not possible. You'll have to get a 2.1 ROM if you want it.
  3. JP5676

JP5676 New Member

im sorry im new to this what exactly does that mean, and what would that entail?
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

5. JP5676

JP5676 New Member

ok thank you very much, now when i do this am i going to loose contacts and pics and vids and such?
  6. ClaudioKilgannon

ClaudioKilgannon New Member

Contacts, no they are tied to your Google account, pics and vids yes if they are not saved to your SD card, so back them up first.
  7. hipkik

hipkik New Member

One tip that alot for get...Read and Reread the tutorial over, familiarize yourself with the terms used in it, and most importantly download ALL the files needed FIRST..

Happy hacking, and don't forget to use the handy yet tedious search first
  8. JP5676

JP5676 New Member

when it talks about nandroid back ups is that like a o crap i screwed up type back up?
    and what r the chances of me bricking my phone?
    and how do i get all the downloads on my pc where do i find them
  9. gavron

gavron New Member

Sir, you need to read the FAQs, the tutorials, and the links already posted. Your questions are answered there.

E
  10. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

Ok, I will answer because youre new, but TIP:: Forums = SEARCH FIRST lol

Nandroid Backup = Entire phone (/system, /data, etc) backed up to your sdcard. Very handy recovery tool if you screw something up

Chances = .001% chance bricking during flash of SBF to 2.0.1 **Note: Have not seen a case of this, but it IS theoretically possible, as you are flashing (overwriting) the radio of the phone. This will only fail if DURING the flash of the radio portion something happens to your phone, computer, electricity, USB cord, etc. If you get past the SBF flash, you will not "brick" it per se, but you might run into bootloops, or frozen M logo, etc. These are recoverable!!!!

The downloads to root? Theres only one, its the update.zip that should be in the tutorial posted earlier. after that, you will need a recovery image, which should be in the tutorial. Once you have those two, all you need is whatever you want (Ex: custom roms, apps, removing of /system apps, theming, etc.)

This should answer your questions. If you have anymore, search forums first, or shoot me a PM. I'll answer quickly, I'm a Droid hack junky lol
  11. voydas

voydas New Member

I would suggest you not root.. and if you really want to read, read, read, read. There is all the information you need here, you've just got to wade through it all. It's not that difficult if you have a little bit of computer skills but judging from what you said in your posts you're going to need your hand held through it all.

Some people here may be kind enough to hold your hand through it all, though. But I would advise against rooting your phone until you understand what you're doing throughout each step of the process.
  12. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I agree, not to sound like a pompous asshole but I dont understand why people that have no computer skills attempt to root their droid. I dont look down on those people for wanting to learn but at least learn about what youre going to do before you do it.

If I was going to rebuild an engine I wouldn't rip the engine out and then expect people to help me rebuild it, I would learn about how it works first and then do it!