Hacked?? help, Please

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Siouxsie, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hello,
    Not sure if this is even the right place to post but I believe my phone was hacked and would like help with how to verify this.
    Boss, her family, and friends of hers have keyed my car and other childish things but now messing with phone, network, and personal records.
    Can anyone help me find out if they did gain access? Phone is Verizon HTC One M8, was rooted with S-off, unlocked bootloader, stock rom. I have done a reset via TWRP. Have not completed rooting with SuperSU, don't even know if I should.
    Stupid question but is it better to get a new phone, get a new sim, or neither?

Thank you in advance for ANY help.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

2. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Did the physically have access to your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,731
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    If you think they hacked your G Mail account and are using apps in your name (not sure how you believe you were hacked) why not change your G Mail password on a laptop. Your phone will prompt you to change it shortly after that. Then there is no way they can access your G Mail, Google Drive files, Google Photos, or download apps and pretend to be you. Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Did we read the same post? I didn't see anything about Gmail.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,731
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Just a suggestion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Without unsupervised, physical access to the device, you'd need the person's Google account to push apps from the web version of the Play Store.

If that was the case, they'd still likely need physical access to start the malicious app or you'd have a notification that an app was installed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Android device manager will show all the logins and devices. Anything out of the ordinary?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Not that I can ever remember.
    Back in February was asked specifically to open an mms. Then early last month was asked by owner's son what provider and phone I have. During the following week was texted a few times by boss insisting I repsonse via text and she sent several mms. Then one morning had another employee send an mms which I did open thinking nothing of it.
    On that day when using camera, phone froze. Couldn't get out of camera without turning phon back on. When using browser was redirected to odd sites. So I tried to backup what things I thought I needed and reset via TWRP.
    Have since installed a different browser, Protonmail(have deleted that one aleady) and different messaging app.
    Today while trying to look something up got a message that my specific phone was infected with Four viruses that needed to be cleaned or sim and phone would be irreparably damaged. It showed a specific app from playstore. I backed out and ran 4 or 5 different anti-virus apps(only one at a time was enabled on device).
    NONE showed any viruses. This is 2nd time in 4 weeks this has occurred.
    So, am I just going crazy or is my phone "haunted" lol.
    And what should I do next?

Oh, and they did have one of my gmail accounts on the company calendar but not the one used for this device.

9. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Those "your PC/phone is infected" popups don't mean anything. They are injected ads trying you to click a link or buy something. Your phone doesn't have any viruses.

Is this a company phone? Why would you be asked to show text messages?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Sounds more like a case of just pops ups/ads. Bloatware so to speak.

As for your camera issue, try clearing the cache of it and see if that helps.

As for the activity of your employer and their family, that's an odd situation to be in. Even if they are your boss they have no right to demand access to your personal device or demand that you accept an mms or whatever it may be that was sent by them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Member

Ratings:
    +9

THANK you I love you guys!!!!!!!!! Sorry if my wording was confusing. I don't have o show text messages. I was told to reply via text several times. I did not understand why. Nor why the insistance on opening mms. She was very pleased once I opened the one mms from the tech before all the weird phone stuff began.

Ok, so dumb question #2...Is DuckDuckGo a "safe" browser? Or better alternative?

It is not a company phone. But it was established beginning of the year that I use mine to communicate with technician. We send job info back and forth and had been ongoing joke between tech and I sending mms to represent our day.

Have Never had this before and after all the weird questions, text/calls from odd numbers at the exact same time everyday when I get home, car keying(ONLY while at work) and resetting office equipment settings on weekends to make Monday's "fun" I looked into the phone thing and ran across some videos and post that said it is possible to access cell phones without having physical access.

12. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Never heard of DuckDuckGo. I personally stick to more well known companies and would recommend; Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. for browsers

In order to gain remote access to your phone without physically accessing it would take quite a bit, I don't know to what extent, but the person would have to be very knowledgeable about hacking (And even then would they put that much effort into hacking into an everyday person? Let alone a prank). People panic when they see anything involving hacking which is why adware use it as a scare tactic to download and have their trojan/virus install on devices.

Car keying isn't funny and its intent was never to be funny, I'd be pretty furious if someone did that to me. And if I knew the culprit I'd definitely confront them about it and have them pay for any damages, that's property damage, plain and simple.

If all this is part of an ongoing joke on you then your employer has a couple of screws loose...

#12 dezymond, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1