GVoice + Gizmo + SipDroid

Guurzak

Reaction score
OK, I have this generally working now, and I can successfully make VOIP WiFi calls for free by using the Google Voice web interface to call my Gizmo account and my intended call-ee. Yay!

I'm stuck on the next step, though, which is to use the Google Voice app to initiate VOIP calls from the phone, rather than using the web interface to have Google's servers initiate the call. Has anyone had any success with making VOIP calls from the GV app?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
OK, I have this generally working now, and I can successfully make VOIP WiFi calls for free by using the Google Voice web interface to call my Gizmo account and my intended call-ee. Yay!

I'm stuck on the next step, though, which is to use the Google Voice app to initiate VOIP calls from the phone, rather than using the web interface to have Google's servers initiate the call. Has anyone had any success with making VOIP calls from the GV app?

Did you ever get this to work from the droid? I am waiting for Gizmo5 to open up invites/signups so I can test this too. Have you tried using the setting that says to make your google voice number the default for all calls? Otherwise we will have to wait for a Gizmo app on Android which may be in development.

Shadowtech

Reaction score
I have this set up.. however I can only get 1 way calls. Either the person can't hear me or I can't hear them.. never both at the same time.

Ferradinho

Reaction score
I have this setup running on my droid. I purchased some gizmo5 credits and would rather pay one penny per minute than use the GV web interface. When I call out with SIPDroid the caller id shows up as my GV number too even though it calls through Gizmo5.
I was messing around with the settings and you can set it to always call out with SIPDroid or only if you add + at the end of the number it will use it to dial out. You could even go in and edit your non-verizon contacts and add + at the end of the number (ex. 206-555-1234+) so SIPDroid automatically calls certain contacts instead of using your minutes.
Call quality has been great over 3g even while driving down the freeway. I am pretty impressed with SIPDroid, it is much better than the other options I tried like fring. I just wish I could get a data-only plan now...

Last edited: