GVMyNumber Question

GadgetRick

Reaction score
So I downloaded this to be able to continue making free calls using GV but how do I install it? Can't find any instructions.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
you should have downloaded an .apk file. just open with a file explorer like astro or even root explorer and you'll be given the option to install

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
...and if you haven't already, you'll need to go to Settings->Applications and check Unknown sources.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
...and if you haven't already, you'll need to go to Settings->Applications and check Unknown sources.

Good point. Already had that checked for something else I had installed. Thanks for the headsup!

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Ok, got it installed (thanks) but can't seem to get it to work. Dials the numbers and I hear the, "To access..." message (or part of that), then it seems to try to go into the VM. But it doesn't dial.

Don't see anything in the instructions about this either. Anyone else see this?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you sure you have google voice and the settings of the gvmynmber app set up correctly?

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
are you sure you have google voice and the settings of the gvmynmber app set up correctly?

No. There is no good explanation as to how to do it though. I'm sure that's my problem. I put the GV# in gvmynumber. I've tried with/without a pin. Don't know what I need to change in GV--if anything.

searayman

Reaction score
Why not just use the official google voice app. What does this do differently?

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Why not just use the official google voice app. What does this do differently?

Since they updated it recently, it rolls through access numbers. Because of this, you can't just put your access number in your Friends and Family which means you can't use GV to make free calls. This allows you to (essentially) do this in a slightly different way.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
For GVMyNumber, go to settings and make sure you put in your GV number, and if you use a pin fill that in as well. For Pause after initial dial I put 6 seconds, it's usually enough.

In Google Voice app, set it so that it asks you everytime you make a call, unless you want to use your GV number all the time in which case you can select that option. That's it. When you dial a number you'll see a little message that says using gvmynumber or something like that. Just let it go through its motions and it'll connect you afterward.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
For GVMyNumber, go to settings and make sure you put in your GV number, and if you use a pin fill that in as well. For Pause after initial dial I put 6 seconds, it's usually enough.

In Google Voice app, set it so that it asks you everytime you make a call, unless you want to use your GV number all the time in which case you can select that option. That's it. When you dial a number you'll see a little message that says using gvmynumber or something like that. Just let it go through its motions and it'll connect you afterward.

That's exactly what I did--although I think I set the pause to 4 (?) seconds. But it seems like it's trying to get into my voicemail and doesn't dial out from there.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
do you have unread voicemails in your gv box? sometimes that messes it up...