[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Hey Mr. Smith thanks for everyting so far I'm sure we all have been testing your patience, lol.

I think I overcame my issue of "waiting for device" After I booted in HBoot I had to click the Fastboot option. Once I did that it recognized it immediately in the command prompt. I know your directions are pretty direct but that that option isn't in your guide. I was trying to run the commands right when the phone booted up.

Now I say "I think" because I don't think its rooted. How can I check?? I've downloaded some apps that need root (mainly tethering apps) and they aren't working.

Is there anyting else I need to do?? Oh and I'm not sure how the the total process takes to install but it was really quick.

Thanks

Mike

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Well I'm definitely not rooted and have no idea why. I did exactly what I was guided to do and everything took.

Can anything bad happen if I do the process over again?

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Wanted to take this time to thank Mr. Smith. This guy knows what he's talking about. Thanks for the guide and all of your help.

Finally rooted now I just need to find a good, stable tethering app.

rrweather

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am just diving into the world of trying to Root My Rezound. I successfully made it through the unlocking process. I am now getting stuck with the rooting process. I have downloaded Amon Ra style vigor (v 3.15). It is located in my platform-tools folder. I am on a mac, which I believe makes things slightly different from what I am reading in the guide. I am able to reboot my phone into HBOOT. It is connected to my mac. I can use terminal to get into the platform-tools folder. When I give the command to "Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img" (No " used in actual command) I get the message "cannot load 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gmn.img'" I have read through the entire thread looking for an answer. Perhaps I missed it. I'm not sure if that message is from me not entering the correct command or from some other problem. Just to be certain, the command line on a mac would be "./Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gmn.img" (Again, no quotes used in actual command).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I am away from home and have no access to a windows computer. I was hoping to be able to do everything from the mac. Thanks for any help and thanks to Mr. Smith for the guide--it is awesome.

watt

Reaction score
I have question on flashing the rezound_AndroidPolice_4.03.605.2_PH98IMG.img to my rezound.
I picked up a rezound from ebay and it has no micro sd card. I tried to put my micro sd card from my evo 4g and it messed it up plus the slot seem to be messed up.
I was able to unlock and root but is now trying to up date to the lastest stock. I have 2.3.4 now. I have tried copying to zip to the folder call ex-internal sd and in recovery install from zip. I named the zip -PH98IMG.zip is how it showed in the external sd card folder.
I tried the hanson2000 auto tool and Mrsmith's commands but none will work for me. Do I have to wait til I get the rezound up and running on straight talk before I can update.

When I get get off work later. I am going to try and get the straight talk working, when I get home.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am just diving into the world of trying to Root My Rezound. I successfully made it through the unlocking process. I am now getting stuck with the rooting process. I have downloaded Amon Ra style vigor (v 3.15). It is located in my platform-tools folder. I am on a mac, which I believe makes things slightly different from what I am reading in the guide. I am able to reboot my phone into HBOOT. It is connected to my mac. I can use terminal to get into the platform-tools folder. When I give the command to "Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img" (No " used in actual command) I get the message "cannot load 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gmn.img'" I have read through the entire thread looking for an answer. Perhaps I missed it. I'm not sure if that message is from me not entering the correct command or from some other problem. Just to be certain, the command line on a mac would be "./Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gmn.img" (Again, no quotes used in actual command).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I am away from home and have no access to a windows computer. I was hoping to be able to do everything from the mac. Thanks for any help and thanks to Mr. Smith for the guide--it is awesome.

You can do everything from a Mac. For the most part the commands are the same. Load the Mac version of the Android SDK and JDK. The commands will need to be tweaked a bit. Such as fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin stays the same. fastboot flash recovery c:\android\recovery.img would change to fastboot flash recovery /somepartition/recovery.img. Not much difference but if you want, start a thread and we'll completely go over it.

I have question on flashing the rezound_AndroidPolice_4.03.605.2_PH98IMG.img to my rezound.
I picked up a rezound from ebay and it has no micro sd card. I tried to put my micro sd card from my evo 4g and it messed it up plus the slot seem to be messed up.
I was able to unlock and root but is now trying to up date to the lastest stock. I have 2.3.4 now. I have tried copying to zip to the folder call ex-internal sd and in recovery install from zip. I named the zip -PH98IMG.zip is how it showed in the external sd card folder.
I tried the hanson2000 auto tool and Mrsmith's commands but none will work for me. Do I have to wait til I get the rezound up and running on straight talk before I can update.

When I get get off work later. I am going to try and get the straight talk working, when I get home.

First make sure you're on the latest OTA 3.14.605.12. Then you can go to 4.03.605.2 . DO NOT GO DIRECTLY TO 4.03.605.2 IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE FINAL OTA.

You need to re-lock the phone before running the RUU. I believe Hansoo's tool has it already but the command line is "fastboot oem lock" to relock, then flash the RUU and you will need to unlock/re-install AmonRa.

watt

Reaction score
You can do everything from a Mac. For the most part the commands are the same. Load the Mac version of the Android SDK and JDK. The commands will need to be tweaked a bit. Such as fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin stays the same. fastboot flash recovery c:\android\recovery.img would change to fastboot flash recovery /somepartition/recovery.img. Not much difference but if you want, start a thread and we'll completely go over it.

well, I was wrong. The bloatware app still states tht I am not rooted.
I did everything over again. ran the Amon Ra and installedthe su and then superuser from market.

First make sure you're on the latest OTA 3.14.605.12. Then you can go to 4.03.605.2 . DO NOT GO DIRECTLY TO 4.03.605.2 IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE FINAL OTA.

You need to re-lock the phone before running the RUU. I believe Hansoo's tool has it already but the command line is "fastboot oem lock" to relock, then flash the RUU and you will need to unlock/re-install AmonRa.

I was able to get it rooted and boatware app working.

I have a problem of the app, bloatwsre stating that I am not rooted.

Thanks MrSmith, I am unlocked and rooted with 4.03.605.2. Now I got to get it working on straight talk with Verizon towers. I hope it just the esn I was using with my evo 4g is bad.
But I can get date but no voice on the evo, I just don't want to use at&t gsm towers.

Last edited:

watt

Reaction score
Thanks to MrSmith for guide and others

I am now unlocked and have Newts OnE XxX RLS 5.0.8 *Global*[Sense 4.1] installed, so I am rooted too.

Thanks to all. Now I got to get this thing working on straight talk Verizon towers.

I am now flashed , rooted and working on Verizon tower with Straight Talk.
Thanks to all.

Last edited:

lyons1005

Reaction score
Mr. Smith,
Thanks for the awesome guide, sadly I am still stuck. I recently got a used HTC Rezound on eBay, and have been stuck trying to unlock it. I think the phone was previously unlocked, it say "RELOCKED" at the top of the screen in HBOOT. It also has been updated with what I believe is the ICS OTA update. I'm not sure if info helps or changes what I need to do, but basically here what happens when I try to unlock. On 2 windows PCs (1 running windows xp and the other windows 7), when I try run the "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" command I just get "< waiting for device >". I believe this is from the PC not finding the phone (the phone says FASTBOOT USB), but I'm not sure how to fix it. When I try to use my mac, the computer finds and loads the phone, but it tells me that the command cannot be found.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
It should say fastboot usb. That means it's connected. Are you in the right directory where fastboot.exe is located?

lyons1005

Reaction score
I'd say I get the "FASTBOOT USB" about 50% of the time. Sometimes it will just say "FASTBOOT" and then if I use the volume buttons to scroll up or down, it will then update to "FASTBOOT USB". But, yes I am sure I am in the right directory when I enter the command, and I have tried entering the command while "FASTBOOT USB" is displayed, always getting the <>. I also have USB Debugging turned on. I think part of the problem might be that when I tried installing the HTC Sync the driver install failed.
I am going to wait till I get home to my mac and try again there, the usb connection seems more reliable than my old work PC or my girlfriend's cheap laptop (I'm pretty sure the usb ports on it are flaky).
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I recall when I unlocked my first rezound I was having flaky usb issues as well. I remember having to power down my pc and rebooting to fix the issues that I was having.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Command not found means that you're not entering the command in the right place. If you're on a Mac(and you may want to go over to the Mac thread) you should change directory to wherever you downloaded the android SDK . So if your androidSDK is in /home/you/AndroidSDk you should do this "cd /home/you/AndroidSDK/platform-tools" That will change you to the proper directory, then you can issue your fastboot command.

If you're continuing on a PC, the same thing holds true but you do need to install the HTC USB drivers AND make sure that HTC sync is NOT running on the PC. For example, if your AndroidSDK is in c:\program files (x86)\androidSDK then you should open a command prompt and do this
Code:
cd "\program files (x86)\androidSDK"
(You will need the quotes in this example)