[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

droidgurl1

Reaction score
@MrSmith I have AmonRa but can't get root with it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
@MrSmith I have AmonRa but can't get root with it.

Are you on GB or ICS? Both require you to install su/superuser in AmonRa, then download superuser(GB) or super su(ICS) from the android market. For ICS I prefer the flashable supersu

droidgurl1

Reaction score
I flashed an ICS RUU. Flashed AmonRa and installed su. I didn't know there was a different su for each firmware. What is this flashable supersu?

droidgurl1

Reaction score
I'm kind of stumped. Load a rooted stock ROM?

That makes two of us. I was thinking about doing that... I'll have to wait until I have some down time to search for one. If that doesn't work, I'm throwing in the proverbial towel.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooted ROMs "always" work. I air quoted always there because for the less than .5% of people that ROM'ing doesn't work for. Anyway, one of the better ICS ROMs is still CleanROM(scottsroms.com). Scott cleaned up stock ICS(no bloat), and everything works(and it's rooted). Give it a look. I'm not 100% up on my Rezound ROMs at this point so anyone else feel free to chime in.

droidgurl1

Reaction score
I'll give it a go today after work and let you know what happens. Thanks for the input!

droidgurl1

Reaction score
Just a quick update... I flashed a stock rooted ROM and gained root. I'm just wondering if I flash another ROM, one that isn't rooted, will I retain root access?

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update... I flashed a stock rooted ROM and gained root. I'm just wondering if I flash another ROM, one that isn't rooted, will I retain root access?

Sorry didn't see your question until now. No, root is per ROM and will be overwritted by the next ROM.

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Hey real quick, Is this write up is still good for everything %100 Stock and OTA ICS. All links within the guide still good??

Does it matter what recovery I download being I'm OTA ICS??

Lastly (I hope) If you had to choose which recovery would you download

Source: [Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor - xda-developers

older version 3.14 recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
md5 915d5e3cb662076f36f3d6e54759e951 recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

Lastest version 3.15 & changelog are here V3.15

The time has come for me to root my Rezound, Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

professorpaddle

Reaction score
So I have 2 rezounds now. My original one is s-off with scotts clean rom. The bluetooth radio died in it so Verizon sent me a new one but accidentally mailed me an htc thunderbolt. I went down to the store and they switched the thunderbolt out for a new rezound so now I have two and the new one has a working bluetooth radio.

Problem is that the new one is running the latest OTA ICS and I thought I would unlock and root it before deciding if I was going to use clean rom, a different one etc... The thing is that I can't get too root. Doing all the steps. Tried flashing SU and installing it from google market. Neither work. At this point I figure I will just use scotts since there were not real big differences between the OTA and his except the bloatware and little tools. So the question I have is does anyone know if there is a new process like SHAK3R is asking about for OTA ICS rezounds, because the old process no likey. I figure I will give this a few days and dig around before flashing Scotts and starting over with that.

garnet&gold

Reaction score
SHAK3R said:
Hey real quick, Is this write up is still good for everything %100 Stock and OTA ICS. All links within the guide still good??

Does it matter what recovery I download being I'm OTA ICS??

Lastly (I hope) If you had to choose which recovery would you download

The time has come for me to root my Rezound, Thanks in advance.

I believe all the links are still good. I would suggest Amon Ra 3.15 as the recovery. I've seen people have problems with cwm on this phone.

garnet&gold

Reaction score
professorpaddle said:
So I have 2 rezounds now. My original one is s-off with scotts clean rom. The bluetooth radio died in it so Verizon sent me a new one but accidentally mailed me an htc thunderbolt. I went down to the store and they switched the thunderbolt out for a new rezound so now I have two and the new one has a working bluetooth radio.

Problem is that the new one is running the latest OTA ICS and I thought I would unlock and root it before deciding if I was going to use clean rom, a different one etc... The thing is that I can't get too root. Doing all the steps. Tried flashing SU and installing it from google market. Neither work. At this point I figure I will just use scotts since there were not real big differences between the OTA and his except the bloatware and little tools. So the question I have is does anyone know if there is a new process like SHAK3R is asking about for OTA ICS rezounds, because the old process no likey. I figure I will give this a few days and dig around before flashing Scotts and starting over with that.

You have to flash the supersu zip to root ics. I think Mr. Smith has a link in the op. The rest of the process to root is the same.