[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

hoboX10

Reaction score
View attachment 50607

Thanks so much!!

Everything went very smoothly thanks to your guide, and for all the help with my questions! I learned a lot about my phone now so I'm a lot more comfortable testing things out. I still don't understand why I couldn't root before I installed the ROM though.

Last edited:
OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason I couldn't root the phone with Amon Ra. When I booted into it and did the install su and superuser, it said it successfully finished. After the reboot when I installed SuperSU it kept failing some update. So I installed root checker and says my device isn't properly rooted.

Oh well, I'm just moving on to installing Newt's One XxX.

Congrats. On this problem it could be that you didn't do the second half of installing superuser from the market..??

hoboX10

Reaction score
Congrats. On this problem it could be that you didn't do the second half of installing superuser from the market..??

I did install superSU as you said get that for the rezound, but was I supposed to get superuser also?

The binary update thing failed on superSU

trizzypballr

Reaction score
I read your rom install guide, but what will installing a rom actually do for me? Im sorry this is a total n00b question. Ive already unlocked and rooted and installed the super user app. Is romming something I should be doing? If I decide to rom will I loose all of my apps and be back to stock again, or will I not loose anything?

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I read your rom install guide, but what will installing a rom actually do for me? Im sorry this is a total n00b question. Ive already unlocked and rooted and installed the super user app. Is romming something I should be doing? If I decide to rom will I loose all of my apps and be back to stock again, or will I not loose anything?

A ROM is simply custom system software. Some have features that others and/or stock doesn't. Some are simply rooted versions of the stock ROM. If you're interested take a look at the ROMs we have in the dev section. See if any strike your fancy. You won't lose any apps per se, but you will need to reinstall them.

Calbenzo

Reaction score
Relative Noob here, at least with Android. I used to play around with my BB, but this is the first time with an Android.

Anyway, I have unlocked and rooted, and am trying to install Scott's CleanROM 4.5 from stock GB

According to the instructions:

Method 4: Installation for S-ON Devices on Gingerbread firmware Copy ROM to SD Card AND PH98IMG.zip AND GB Firmware Patch to ROOT of SD Card
Reboot to recovery
wipe data / Factory Reset
Flash ROM
Flash GB Fimrware Patch
Use Developer Menu to reboot to bootloader and flash the boot.img file in the PH98IMG.zip
Reboot

So I put both the GH98IMG.zip and the Firmware patch on the SD card (the top directory which I assume is the ROOT directory.

When I boot into HBOOT, it then automatically finds an update which requires me to install or cancel. I cannot get into Recovery without removing these two files. Anyway, I did install the update, and then reboot, but now it only shows the HTC screen for a couple seconds, goes blank for a second, shows the HTC screen for a second again, and then goes blank with no boot up. Sort of stuck here. I removed the files from the SD card from my other computer, but now it is stuck in this mode.

Does this clean rom need kernals perhaps?

Sorry for the noob questions. :)

Thanks!

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're using AmonRa, try this. Move PH98IMG.zip out of the root of your SD Card. Do the steps up to installing the ROM. After you install the ROM, plug into your PC and mount USB(in AmonRa), and move the PH98IMG.zip back to the root of your SD. Reboot into the bootloader to flash it.

OR

Extract boot.img from PH98IMG.zip, plug into your PC and boot into HBOOT. From there flash the kernel using "fastboot flash boot boot.img" (This would be the easier option in my opinion)

Calbenzo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I extracted the boot.img, and put the file in the platform-tools folder of android-sdk. I removed the PH98IMG zip from the SD card (using my pc) since I cannot get into the HBOOT since the update always trys to run with this PH of Scotts CleanROM.

I made sure HTC Sync is not running, and from the commands in platform-tools directory I entered the command "flashboot flash boot boot.img". At first I just get stuck at <waiting for device>. If I push fastboot in HBOOT, it then looks for the PH file, and then returns to the HBOOT top screen. If I put the "flashboot . . " command back in, then it says that it is sending 'boot', but then just gets stuck here as well?

Thanks,

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to remove PH98IMG.zip from your SD, otherwise you will get stuck with that update.

Calbenzo

Reaction score
Thanks! I did remove the PH from the SD.

I forgot to mention that after it gets stuck in "sending 'boot'" above, after about 5 minutes it says
"FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))"
I am also conversing with the moderator on Scott Roms Forum (although I have only heard from him once last night). He mentioned

"This works if you have done it before because you have another way into recovery. Does not work on first time noob flash. It is not you. Just no way to cover all scenarios. May have Scott add this one. Your first flash do not add PH98IMG to sd card. Just Rom and Old Firmware patch. Flash rom then flash patch back to back. Now pull battery and sd card and add PH file to sd card. Replace sd card and battery and boot into hboot pressing power/volume down at same time. Ph will now do that update. Accept and reboot. Should now boot into rom. Once you have a rom installed you can access recovery or bootloader independently and then can load all files on sd at the same time."

This is a little confusing in that is there two firmware patches? The current one listed on his site for ICS and an "Old Firmware patch".

Perhaps I should just flash one of the other ROMs first that you have listed on the first page of this guide. Sorry for the noobness! :)

Thanks!

jackson__hill

Reaction score
Please help man!!!

Rooting:

For those that don’t know what rooting is, I’ll explain. Rooting allows you to act as the “superuser” on your device. This gives you privilege to do things that the developers didn’t quite intend you to do(but most are really fun). Rooting is a harmless process, and should only take you a few minutes. If you’re jumping in without using my Unlocking guide, then please see the Preparation section above. If you plan on installing a rooted ROM you can skip this section

YOU MUST BE UNLOCKED IN ORDER TO ROOT
First you’ll need to download a custom Recovery call AmonRa. Here’s a link to it: [Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor - xda-developers

I’m using version 3.14 as my example. Copy your newly downloaded recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img file to your AndroidSDK folder above(like you did with Unlock_code.bin).
  • Reboot your phone into HBOOT
  • Make sure your phone is connected to the PC
  • Now open a Command Prompt and issue the following commands:
Code:
 Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
                Fastboot flash recovery ..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
                Fastboot reboot-bootloader
When your phone reboots, choose the “Recovery” option. This will bring you into Amon Ra. Use the volume up/down keys to choose the “Developer Menu”, and press the power button to accept. Now choose the option that says “Install su & superuser” and click the power button. Once this is complete choose return/Reboot now and click the power button. Your phone will reboot normally.

When you’re all back up and running you still need to do one last thing. Head over to the Android Market(Play Store) and download Superuser by Chainsdd. Here’s the web link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ub3NodWZvdS5hbmRyb2lkLnN1Il0.

If you’re on the ICS Leak, you’ll need SuperSU found here: [25.03.2012] SuperSU v0.87 - xda-developers

Congratulations you are now rooted.

WHEN I ENTER THE COMMAND "Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
Fastboot reboot-bootloader"

IT SAYS "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\pass_fir5t>Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> Fastboot flash recovery ..\recovery
-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
'Fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> Fastboot reboot-bootloader"

PLEASE HELP ME MAN

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
WHEN I ENTER THE COMMAND "Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
Fastboot reboot-bootloader"

IT SAYS "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\pass_fir5t>Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> Fastboot flash recovery ..\recovery
-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
'Fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> Fastboot reboot-bootloader"

PLEASE HELP ME MAN

That just means you're not in the right directory / Windows(DOS) isn't seeing the file fastboot.exe. If you have the AndroidSDK installed it may be in a different directory. If you don't have it installed, grab my "mini-sdk" here: http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/android-minisdk.zip and unzip it into that directory.

sstreet3

Reaction score
I have a question. First off I'm running a leaked version of ICS for the Rezound. Can this be unlocked using the method above? If not, does anyone have any instructions? I get as far as it sending the unlock code but it keeps saying 'sending unlock token (0 kb) and it never finishes. Please assist.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a question. First off I'm running a leaked version of ICS for the Rezound. Can this be unlocked using the method above? If not, does anyone have any instructions? I get as far as it sending the unlock code but it keeps saying 'sending unlock token (0 kb) and it never finishes. Please assist.

The unlock procedure is still the same. If you're getting the "sending token" and nothing happens, make sure that HTC sync isn't running on your computer, try rebooting the phone/computer or simply unplug the USB. It's usually one of the aforementioned issues.