[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

garnet&gold

Reaction score
Unlocking:

The unlocking process is fully detailed on HTCDev.com, however it never hurts to have additional information on hand. Warning that unlocking the Phone will result in a factory reset. Backup your data!

Sorry if this is a goofy question but I'm a bit confused. Is it possible to back up data without already being rooted? I thought I read it was no longer possible.

Thanks

pbickel

Reaction score
I have got to the beginning of rooting and installing Amon Ra but whenever I type the command in the command prompt just says waiting for device and absolutely nothing happens

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Usually that happens when either HTC sync is running on your pc or the drivers aren't installed properly. I suggest unplugging your phone, and rebooting your pc.. That should get you going again.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

pbickel

Reaction score
Usually that happens when either HTC sync is running on your pc or the drivers aren't installed properly. I suggest unplugging your phone, and rebooting your pc.. That should get you going again.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Still says waiting for device whenever I type in: "Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img" it replies with tthe line: "< waiting for device >" and neither my phone or command prompt so anything.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you in HBOOT? If not reboot into HBOOT(power down, then power on holding power + volume down) then do your fastboot command.

SuperDink

Reaction score
Mr Smith,

Great guide! I just got my Rezound yesterday to replace a broken Thunderbolt. I want to root the phone but I am hesitant because of the unlock proceedure through the HTC dev site. Once registered with them you need to get the identifying token from the phone and give that to them. Does this mean that the phone is now labelled as unlocked, rooted, voided, ect? I think the answer is yes, but just want to verify. I may need to wait for a while to root just to make sure that there are no problems with the phone that may need a warranty. Or can I root and if there is any problem, put it back to stock later? THanks in advance!

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mr Smith,

Great guide! I just got my Rezound yesterday to replace a broken Thunderbolt. I want to root the phone but I am hesitant because of the unlock proceedure through the HTC dev site. Once registered with them you need to get the identifying token from the phone and give that to them. Does this mean that the phone is now labelled as unlocked, rooted, voided, ect? I think the answer is yes, but just want to verify. I may need to wait for a while to root just to make sure that there are no problems with the phone that may need a warranty. Or can I root and if there is any problem, put it back to stock later? THanks in advance!

Actually no. Unlocking with HTCDev.com isn't truly unlocking. All they do is supply the unlock key. Also unlocking doesn't void the warranty unless the defect was a direct effect of unlocking. You can root and then come back to stock by using an RUU(Rom Update Utility). These are the only way we have to update firmware without going full S-Off.

mattmns

Reaction score
Thank you much for this detailed explanation, exactly what I was looking for! Super easy to read and follow :hail:

droidgurl1

Reaction score
I have unlcoked my Rezound without any problems but for the life of me, I can't root it!! When I type the commands I get "error: cannot load". The guide is very straightforward so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have unlcoked my Rezound without any problems but for the life of me, I can't root it!! When I type the commands I get "error: cannot load". The guide is very straightforward so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Are you still on Gingerbread or are you on an ICS leak?

hoboX10

Reaction score
So, I'm on the ICS Leak, but this whole guide should still work for me, right? And what someone mentioned about a nandroid backup guide too, is that for if my something went wrong installing a ROM? To get back to, for me, the ICS Leak? I plan on installing Newt's One XxX soon.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The nandroid will backup your phone exactly as it is. So when you restore it, its like you went right back to the point in time when you backed up the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

droidgurl1

Reaction score
Ok. I'm unlocked, rooted and got a recovery installed. Now... in order to flash a custom ROM, I need to determine if I have "s-off" or "s-on". How do I make that determination? I still have stock GB atm.

hoboX10

Reaction score
The nandroid will backup your phone exactly as it is. So when you restore it, its like you went right back to the point in time when you backed up the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So why couldn't nandroid be used as a way to get back to GB stock from leaked ICS