[GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3

bonesjones

Reaction score
Don't forget to watch your data usage, folks. Unless your timing was perfect the D3 upgrade probably included a data plan downgrade from unlimited to 2GB/month. VZW killed their unlimited data plan on July 7th.

(And I must say after "enjoying" the clogged connection on the mainland last month I can't say I blame them. Hawaii is FAST because there are no people here - it is a very noticeable difference.)

If you haven't upgraded your phone or your plan since that happened then you're unlimited plan is grandfathered in. But make ANY change to your service and it will (poof!) evaporate.

Not true. If an individual was/is upgrading from another smartphone with an unlimited plan, say something like an original droid or droid2, they still are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I can confirm that. I was. D2g unlimited. Now im d3 unlimited.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

bharrismac

Reaction score
Just did this on a 32 bit computer. RadioCom installed with very few issues and the process took about five minutes (not including the time it took to actually read the instructions). Works great! Thanks for sharing!

javipoo

Reaction score
So do we need to do anything special/different at all to follow this Tutorial but for a droid 2?
I looked around a fair bit and by what I could find nothing is different if for a Droid 2 as to droid 3.
Can any one confirm? Has anyone tried this on their D2 ?

km75

Reaction score
So do we need to do anything special/different at all to follow this Tutorial but for a droid 2?
I looked around a fair bit and by what I could find nothing is different if for a Droid 2 as to droid 3.
Can any one confirm? Has anyone tried this on their D2 ?

There is no difference whatsoever. I used this for my D2 and D3 using the exact same setup.

LRL

Reaction score
Just an FYI, you can also tether for free by using bluetooth, without all these modifications. I can understand the need for wifi tethering, but if you can use bluetooth instead I'd go that route. The setup for bluetooth tethering is a little different based on the device you're tethering to your phone.

1. On the device connecting to your phone, turn bluetooth on and make it discoverable(making it discoverable may not matter).
2. Turn bluetooth on your phone (settings, wireless and network settings)
3. Set the device name on your phone (settings, wireless and network settings, bluetooth settings)
4. Make your phone discoverable (settings, wireless and network settings, bluetooth settings)
5. On the device connecting to your phone, search for devices(pair,new connection, varies by device) and pick the device name you set in step 3
6. Select the service class or name of 'network access port' or 'PANU'
7. Enter a pin (of your choice)
8. go to your phone and enter the same pin
9. On the device connecting to your phone, select connect on your new connection/paired phone (if it is not already connected)

You should now be able to surf the web. :D I have done this with both my phone and my wife's and we've connected our laptops (bluetooth enabled), my wife's rooted ipad, my ipod and my xoom.

Last edited:

islander90

Reaction score
Just an FYI, you can also tether for free by using bluetooth, without all these modifications. I can understand the need for wifi tethering, but if you can use bluetooth instead I'd go that route. The setup for bluetooth tethering is a little different based on the device you're tethering to your phone.

<snip>

You should now be able to surf the web. :D I have done this with both my phone and my wife's and we've connected our laptops (bluetooth enabled), my wife's rooted ipad, my ipod and my xoom.

what kind of speeds are you getting on the device compared to the phone doing the tethering?

LRL

Reaction score
what kind of speeds are you getting on the device compared to the phone doing the tethering?

I've never gotten anything faster then 1.2 megs on my phone, and my throughput via bluetooth is equal to or just a tiny bit faster then my phone.

islander90

Reaction score
I've never gotten anything faster then 1.2 megs on my phone, and my throughput via bluetooth is equal to or just a tiny bit faster then my phone.

I ran a test last night... I got like 2.2Mb/s on the phone, then bluetooth tethered and ran the same app on the Xoom and got about 700kb/s. But it was the first time running the test on the xoom so I'm not sure if that makes any type of difference at all. Will play some more with it later on. But thanks for the tip; that's an awesome feature as long as Verizon allows it haha dancedroid:icon_ banana:

Snow02

Reaction score
Bluetooth will limit the connection. Typically to 1 mbps, so with overhead, that sounds about right. This is probably why verizon has not blocked bluetooth tethering. It's limited to one device and isn't really practical to use for streaming hd video or downloading large files.

Snow02

Reaction score
There is no difference whatsoever. I used this for my D2 and D3 using the exact same setup.

Yep. This works for all moto 3G phones. Unfortunately I'm betting their 4G offerings won't be quite so simple. We'll see.

LRL

Reaction score
Out in the sticks here, I'm lucky to get 1Mb and BT is fast enough. It's certainly not worth paying a tethering fee.

ModLife

Reaction score
Duh

Thats what this thread is about....using Wi-Fi FOR FREEdancedroid....because its so much fast he "better" option for most. HOWEVER:icon_eek: it does go against your data usage:icon_evil: so DONT forget that little tidbit folks.