[GUIDE] Milestone XT720 - Apps2SD and Froyo JIT

OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
yeah! stock 720MHz rocks this device! thanks Navalynt for the script.. will test out the nextheme out soon.

edit:
sorry this comes with launcher pro am i right? how do i remove that launcher?

I don't think I put LauncherPro in my v2 script, but if I did you need to connect via adb and manually remove it from the /system/app directory OR get an app in the market called Root Manager which makes it much easier to remove pre-installed apps. I use Root Manager to remove some of the useless crap like MotoNav after install.

baring123

Reaction score
Hello!

i´m in the way to install apps2sd.

I have the problem that i can´t open the apps2sd folder.
I did all steps an i´m at tools.adb.exe, so far it is ok.

i typed adb devices and adb shell an su an now i´m at the point with the # prompt.
now i want to type cd /sdcard/apps2sd but the answer is: can´t cd to /apps2sd.

When i type cd /sdcard, it ist ok and i´m at cd /sdcard.
But i cannot open the app2sd folder.

What ist my mistake?

Thank you!!!!!

EDIT!!!
I found it!!! Have to change the USB Modus at the XT720 to portal an tools.................. Sorry!

Last edited:

progenx

Reaction score
This is a little odd but my software version is newer.
STR_U2_02.18.3

Firmware 2.1 update 1

This was bought from Expansys, phone started in French, so I assume this should be euro rom too. Unless there's more than one, it boots at 550mhz.

@Navalynt, i've flashed my xt720 to euro rom.

in this version of software, cpu is set to 720MHz
and everything is smoother than 550MHz and HD video has greatly improved
link:
http://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...0R_UCASHOTBRTLRTCEE_P001_A008_HWp3_1FF.sbf.gz

and the results are tremendously better than stock without overclocking but it works even better with overclocking and JIT compiler only the bad part is that the NexTheme. it doesn't works well with this rom. especially when you go to messaging, it will show error. not sure of other bugs though. i've done another test without NexTheme installed and it works fine.

anyone wanna test it, go ahead.

dude, it's an official euro rom. maybe it's different part of euro. i have a friend having the same version as yours but this rom is totally a different update. this is equipped with stock 720mhz. it is way better than stock 550mhz. with 720mhz, everything is improved and some extra features.

shinobi

Reaction score
This is a little odd but my software version is newer.
STR_U2_02.18.3

Firmware 2.1 update 1

This was bought from Expansys, phone started in French, so I assume this should be euro rom too. Unless there's more than one, it boots at 550mhz.

@Navalynt, i've flashed my xt720 to euro rom.

in this version of software, cpu is set to 720MHz
and everything is smoother than 550MHz and HD video has greatly improved
link:
http://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...0R_UCASHOTBRTLRTCEE_P001_A008_HWp3_1FF.sbf.gz

and the results are tremendously better than stock without overclocking but it works even better with overclocking and JIT compiler only the bad part is that the NexTheme. it doesn't works well with this rom. especially when you go to messaging, it will show error. not sure of other bugs though. i've done another test without NexTheme installed and it works fine.

anyone wanna test it, go ahead.

dude, it's an official euro rom. maybe it's different part of euro. i have a friend having the same version as yours but this rom is totally a different update. this is equipped with stock 720mhz. it is way better than stock 550mhz. with 720mhz, everything is improved and some extra features.

Sounds a lot like the LG Arena updates if that holds true, number may be higher but actual fixes were lower OR different.. o_O

How can I backup my current ROM if this one gives me issues?

shinobi

Reaction score
I installed the firmware in this thread, performance and quadrant benches even higher. But the theme in the first post is defective, and will crash when messaging.

Also apps2sd fails on a file called ext2.ko, because it already exists, and no apps have moved to SD.

progenx

Reaction score
Use the 2nd version for euro roms. Its posted somewhere by the OP. maybe that would work.

shinobi

Reaction score
So, here's the "verdict" for me.
I reformatted my SD card with ext3, and a small swap just in case..

JIT on the Euro signed firmware works.
Theme does NOT work.
Apps2SD does NOT work, AND CAUSES PHONE TO NOT BOOT.
I had this thing working for a few weeks, I know what to do etc.

However, the euro firmware (compared to french expansys) is AWESOME
Even without JIT it's faster, and HD VIDEO FINALLY WORKS!
With JIT it's blazing fast.

As a bonus, the headphone output is absolutely deafening, used to be very very soft on max, French legislation most likely.

Halleluja ;P

progenx

Reaction score
why apps2sd is not working for you? some apps required a few fraction of internal space. i've installed like almost 20apps and it still stands at 100+mb. not all apps can be moved to sdcard. not sure, i could be wrong that your apps2sd really not working. i'm on euro rom and still using the 1st version of the script but i did not install the nextheme. i will try the 2nd version soon, this time including the theme installation.

Edit:
Okay i did a quick installation for the ver.2 of the theme frm the script. Messaging works so far but now theres another problem, market. I got an error message saying server error or something. My data connection is fine. I can surf, play online but not market. So, whats the problem now?

Last edited:

shinobi

Reaction score
why apps2sd is not working for you? some apps required a few fraction of internal space. i've installed like almost 20apps and it still stands at 100+mb. not all apps can be moved to sdcard. not sure, i could be wrong that your apps2sd really not working. i'm on euro rom and still using the 1st version of the script but i did not install the nextheme. i will try the 2nd version soon, this time including the theme installation.

Edit:
Okay i did a quick installation for the ver.2 of the theme frm the script. Messaging works so far but now theres another problem, market. I got an error message saying server error or something. My data connection is fine. I can surf, play online but not market. So, whats the problem now?

You have firmware str_u2_01.1e.0 and the script worked?

I've tried both scripts and both used his build.prop and my own modified version, still didn't boot after the apps2sd script. I waited half an hour after each time, only get the sphere-m symbol, and then it reboots after a while going in a loop.. :S

progenx

Reaction score
Not sure. Im waiting for navalynt for some answers too. Mine worked well so far..

darkpig

Reaction score
Apps2sd worked for me finally, but i noticed a problem.
I realised that the apps have been copied to the SD card, but i also noticed that the memory space on my internal memory have not been emptied!
I believe that the apps now exists in both the internal memory and sd card.
Is there anyway to clear the apps off the internal memory while keeping the apps on the sd card?

shinobi

Reaction score
Important about A2SD

I think I should share this little bit of info on Apps2SD.

I had some issues with occasional reboots on the French "Expansys" firmware, and I just assumed this was more or less normal, 2-3 times a week so I didn't bother about it much.

However, I read several forum posts last night stating that using A2SD on a card rated Lower than "Class 6" may cause random lockups and reboots, the OS expects faster response probably.

The card that comes with the, at least the expansys phone, is a Slow Class 2. (never above 2mb/s when benching through PC or Android.

My current microSD is a Class 2 from Sandisk that scores 4-5MB/s most of the time, but "dips" to 2mb/s often.

At the moment I've had no reboots without A2SD and the Euro firmware.

alex4motoblur

Reaction score
I just followed the directions on my Singapore XT720 and everything went well :)

However, what I did not realize was that I can no longer switch SD cards without the phone being stuck on boot with the "M". I had used a smaller 2GB SD card to do the install since I wanted to keep the original 8GB SD, just in case.

Now I'm stuck using the 2GB SD. Is there a way for me to remove the changes and start over with the 8GB?

Thanks.

Alex

tond

Reaction score
This is the XT720 configuration that seems the best in my personal tests:
- ROM "europe" STR_U2_01.1E.0
- JIT froyo (perfect guide in page 1 - thank you!)
- multitouch Droid X keyboard (it's really amazing, it's fast and feels even better than iPhone 3G!)

I did not install:
- NO apps2sd - it moves all apps and cache to sd. You need a very high speed sd, if not you will loose performances. It would be very useful if you could choose what to install in sd and what in internal memory
- NO overclock (with 720MHz rom and JIT froyo it's not needed any more IMHO)

If only I could reach evening with my battery this would be the perfect phone for me...