[GUIDE] Making Google Search on Fascinate Permanent. (Requires Root)

FrostMan

Reaction score
Install attached apk. (Need to unzip first)

You will also need launcherpro for the widget.

Now either rename the app called I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk to I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.bak in system/app or just delete it.

Done.

Now the search key on the bottom will bring up google search, and searching will take you to google.com

Attachments

• EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.zip
    203.2 KB · Views: 2,082

DanManners

Reaction score
Install attached apk. (Need to unzip first)

You will also need launcherpro for the widget.

Now either rename the app called I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk to I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.bak in system/app or just delete it.

Done.

Now the search key on the bottom will bring up google search, and searching will take you to google.com

This works wonders dude. If I had to name one thing that bugged me about the phone the most, it would be Bing. This worked beautifully. Fixed my issue in 10 seconds.

Thank you, good sir.

EDIT: Don't do anything with the i500_bingSearchAndroid.apk, don't add .bak onto it, don't do anything, or you lose the functionality of searching through any Samsung applications, like music player. Also, some other things I've noticed is that adding that EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk to /system/app/ does in fact have the search button default to google, but in browser if you search it will automatically go to Bing. I'm going to take a look that this, but I have a feeling that maybe if we dump a different version of Browser into the /system/app/ location and overwrite/replace the original Samsung version of the browser that it might search Google, but I have no way to check currently.

crimsonblake

Reaction score
It does search google when i single click the eye glass, however when I long click it still goes to Bing voice search instead of Google. How can we change this to default to google?

OP
FrostMan

FrostMan

Reaction score
Dan, my search works fine under the stock music app. I just checked. The Bing default in browser is due to the apk itself, I might try one from a vibrant or captivate system dump.

Crimson, did u rename the Bing app in system, also make sure to open the voice search app from the app list at least once before long clicking the search button, because it works fine for me.

crimsonblake

Reaction score
Crimson, did u rename the Bing app in system, also make sure to open the voice search app from the app list at least once before long clicking the search button, because it works fine for me.

No I didn't. How do you rename it with Astro? I try but it says that I have "insufficient permissions".

DanManners

Reaction score

No I didn't. How do you rename it with Astro? I try but it says that I have "insufficient permissions".

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be), but Astro is not a root file browser.

And @FrostMan: I can't get the google voice search 'hold magnifying glass' shortcut to work either...do you remember if you replaced or changed anything else?

PsychoSimatic

Reaction score
i removed the bing search w/ titanium, and installed the google one linked, but i dont have voice search functionality, and the default search bar is still in place and i dont have the widget for the google search, so perhaps that .apk isnt working?

PsychoSimatic

Reaction score
i removed the bing search w/ titanium, and installed the google one linked, but i dont have voice search functionality, and the default search bar is still in place and i dont have the widget for the google search, so perhaps that .apk isnt working?

in fact when i try to launch if from astro, it tells me its missing - com google.android.providers.enhancedgooglesearch so it cant even launch

boostedjti

Reaction score
I know this a few months old, but I think I fixed the issue...

I deleted Bing all together using TI, then installed this apk and set everything with launcher pro, and voice commands work...

I also removed all of the Bing search bars the day I bought the phone which was a week ago. If I need to be a bit more descriptive on what I've done through TI let me know

Chargerfn909

Reaction score

I deleted Bing all together using TI, then installed this apk and set everything with launcher pro, and voice commands work...

I also removed all of the Bing search bars the day I bought the phone which was a week ago. If I need to be a bit more descriptive on what I've done through TI let me know

Excuse my newb-ness, but what is TI?

boostedjti

Reaction score

Titanium Backup, it will also prompt to install another version of BusyBox which I did

Chargerfn909

Reaction score

Titanium Backup, it will also prompt to install another version of BusyBox which I did

ahh, I was thinking that would be TB (unless, of course there is already another acronym for TB) lol

Also, if you do not mind; do we need the $$ TI or is the free one sufficient enough? I am just getting into all this fun stuff. Just rooted my phone using Z4Root today and am trying to learn the ropes..

boostedjti

Reaction score

ahh, I was thinking that would be TB (unless, of course there is already another acronym for TB) lol

Also, if you do not mind; do we need the $$ TI or is the free one sufficient enough? I am just getting into all this fun stuff. Just rooted my phone using Z4Root today and am trying to learn the ropes..

I used the free one. I also rooted my phone today after having it a week.

Chargerfn909

Reaction score

Sweet..Ok I am gonna continue to do my homework..

Kind of a thread jack, but do you d/l ROM's and Themes from a computer then import over, or is all that possible via your Phone??-- Thanks in advance, and last question I will ask lol!

boostedjti

Reaction score

Sweet..Ok I am gonna continue to do my homework..

Kind of a thread jack, but do you d/l ROM's and Themes from a computer then import over, or is all that possible via your Phone??-- Thanks in advance, and last question I will ask lol!

I do everything via pc but it can probably be done via phone. Pc is faster for me plus I can keep track of everything that way.