[Guide] Itunes Movies to Android (OSX)

dale.j.gilbert

Reaction score
I did all this from my MacBook Pro running OSX Lion, should still work for Windows I think

OK so I've been trying to figure out how to convert my movies bought on iTunes to a format that could be put onto my bionic. Most guides that I found show you how to do it, but they also require you to download a $30-40 software. This didn't really work with me because I already paid for the movies, I didn't want or have the money to re-buy movies I already own. So with some googling I came up with this way to make it work, figured I’d post it incase anyone ells is looking.

You have to do two things to get to a file that your phone can see

1) First you need to have a file without the copyright protection, DRM, that iTunes movies come with.. So you'll have to strip it (which a lot of forms wont let you talk about... if someone can tell me I wont get blocked for doing this then ill add how I found to do it) just Google it. I found an app that works for free with no quality loss.

2) iTunes movies are in m4v which Android doesn't support, So after you get your protection free file you need to use a video file converter to change the video file over to something that is compatible.

What I used was Kigo Video Converter (I'd post a download link if I knew how too, Google should bring it up though) there is a free version of this app that lets you do everything you need without paying. Open it up, pick the m4v file (you'll need to go find the file, you can't just drag it out of iTunes) go down and select what file format you want (there is one that even says Google, when you have it the iPod logo will change to a little android (should change the file to mp4). after you tell it to start it will encode for about 20min and then you have your movie.
You can also change the place where it dumps the file too if you go into preferences, you hit the “…” button to navigate to the file. Just making a file titled "Unlocked_mp4" was a pretty good system to me. You could also set it up to dump it straight to your phone if you wanted too I think, just plug in your phone and while your in preferences navigate to the place you store your movies on your phone.

So again, any help on what I can post or how to host a download and ill fix my post.

Hope this Helps someone!

jayman350

Reaction score
have you tried a different video player than what comes w/ stock android? MX Player does an excellent job of playing just about any file that i have thrown at it, mp4, m4v, avi, mpeg, flv.

I don't know how the DRM will affect playback, or if it will play at all. you might want to try stripping the DRM and then try just that file. i used to convert all of my files using DVDCatalyst (excellent program, and only like $10 IIRC) but MX Player has allowed me to bypass the conversion altogether.

OP
dale.j.gilbert

dale.j.gilbert

Reaction score
As far as i could tell the DRM has to be removed to play it on anything that you don't sync to itunes. I could be wrong on that maybe.

I did try another app that said it should be able to view the m4v, but it didn't work.
Really i'd rather have a more versatile file that just works and doesn't require extra apps on my phone to work (I like just being able to use Play Movies for everything)