(GUIDE) how to root DINC2 2.3.3

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
I have installed everything but I can't get superuser to access the root. The update always fails both from the market and from the sd card. I installed the superuser update fixer and that fails also. Busybox is not allowed root access also. Everything else is working fine. Just can't install superuser. Any ides?

Try re-downloading and flashing the root.zip file first.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

gardner120

Reaction score
Finally got it. Had to go to androidsu.com to get the latest superuser zip. Copied it to my SD card and loaded it. Now have root access. Thanks all!

sprkplg76

Reaction score
Need help!

First of all, great tutorial! Walked me through every step and I am definitely a first timer or Newbee with rooting. I need some help though. After rooting my DINC2 I am unable to access the Market now. I have tried installing alternative apps such as AppsBrain and Appsfire but my DINC wont allow the apps to install now. When I attempt to launch the Market, the app flashes as if it is loading and nothing happens. I do however see the Market showing running as an active app in Advanced Task Killer but I cant access it. I also cannot access the GMAIL app any longer either. I cant access it through mail but not the GMAIL app. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
First of all, great tutorial! Walked me through every step and I am definitely a first timer or Newbee with rooting. I need some help though. After rooting my DINC2 I am unable to access the Market now. I have tried installing alternative apps such as AppsBrain and Appsfire but my DINC wont allow the apps to install now. When I attempt to launch the Market, the app flashes as if it is loading and nothing happens. I do however see the Market showing running as an active app in Advanced Task Killer but I cant access it. I also cannot access the GMAIL app any longer either. I cant access it through mail but not the GMAIL app. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It probably wont fix this specific problem, but my first suggestion is not to use advanced task killer, or any task killer. As for your actual problem, I don't really know what your problem is, but the typical troubleshooting method is to boot into recovery and wipe cache (you wont loose any data) and if that doesn't work wipe data (you will loose all data, but now that you have root, you can use Titanium Backup to get it all back) that fixes most problems you'll have.

sprkplg76

Reaction score
Thanks!

Had to wipe all data and then it worked again! Still have root access and everything is working great! Thanks for all of your help and hard work putting the tutorial together!

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Had to wipe all data and then it worked again! Still have root access and everything is working great! Thanks for all of your help and hard work putting the tutorial together!

I clearly wasn't thinking very well yesterday lol because I should have suggested that you do a nandroid restore (if you have one from before the bugs started coming up)

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I copied my first nandroid to PC just foe future miss happenings...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
I copied my first nandroid to PC just foe future miss happenings...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

That's not a bad idea lol but i wouldn't say it's totally necessary. Something would have to go seriously wrong to you to lose your nandroid backups (held on SD card)

DND

Reaction score
Anyway to get a Little more detailed help? I spent 3 hours last nite going between the YouTube video and these written instructions with no success.

I know I'm missing something. I got as far as connecting my phone to pc, but program couldn't find my phone.

I'm also wondering why can't I use the serial number listed under my phone info settings? Probably dumb question, but Had to ask.

Heeeeeelllllllppppppp!!!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
Anyway to get a Little more detailed help? I spent 3 hours last nite going between the YouTube video and these written instructions with no success.

I know I'm missing something. I got as far as connecting my phone to pc, but program couldn't find my phone.

I'm also wondering why can't I use the serial number listed under my phone info settings? Probably dumb question, but Had to ask.

Heeeeeelllllllppppppp!!!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

You probably don't have your HTC drivers installed on your computer. I think i added a link to them in the guide. Also you may have problems if you use the usb cable that didn't come with your phone. Also you need to make sure usb debugging is on and fastboot is off. Hopefully one of these are your problem because otherwise I'll have to get creative lol. You probably could use the serial number in your about phone but it's more convenient to have the revolutionary program give it to you.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea lol but i wouldn't say it's totally necessary. Something would have to go seriously wrong to you to lose your nandroid backups (held on SD card)

It's ALWAYS a good idea to keep a copy of the most recent backup on your PC. SD cards go bad unexpectedly.

Thoroughbred_Lover

Reaction score
Step 11 ( I believe)

So either I'm impatient or my phone really doesn't wanna let me reroot. I have installed revolutionary and I have got the beta key and everything. It registers my phone and lets me enter in the beta key. Then afterwards when it says it's Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.. I've let my phone sit here on this screen for almost fifteen minutes and nothing happens. What do I do or how do I fix this.. I'm new at this and it's frustrating me largely.... Help :-(

OP
estafusisx

estafusisx

Reaction score
So either I'm impatient or my phone really doesn't wanna let me reroot. I have installed revolutionary and I have got the beta key and everything. It registers my phone and lets me enter in the beta key. Then afterwards when it says it's Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.. I've let my phone sit here on this screen for almost fifteen minutes and nothing happens. What do I do or how do I fix this.. I'm new at this and it's frustrating me largely.... Help :-(

Sorry for being a couple days late and i'm sure by now you've either gave up or figured it out but i would suggest waiting about 30 mins b4 messing with this process to make sure it just isn't going to work, then just exiting the command window and trying again. If it still doesn't work i would re-download the revolutionary.exe and see if that helps.

Thoroughbred_Lover

Reaction score
Sorry for being a couple days late and i'm sure by now you've either gave up or figured it out but i would suggest waiting about 30 mins b4 messing with this process to make sure it just isn't going to work, then just exiting the command window and trying again. If it still doesn't work i would re-download the revolutionary.exe and see if that helps.

I have redownloaded the revolutionary program quite a few times and it never changes. I have tried the 30 mins but it hasn't changed in anyway.

hbsurfer

Reaction score
Awesome!!!!

I just finished rooting my phone and decided I'd help out anyone that's having problems with it or just hasn't gone over to XDA and tried it for themselves yet!

This process is for S-Off, Recovery installation, and Root permissions. This method will ONLY work on the DINC2 2.3.3 GB OTA. If you aren't sure if it will work for your phone just check your "About Phone" in the settings. It may be a good idea to create a recovery between steps 18 and 19.

First off I am not responsible for what you do to your phone or anything that happens to it as a result of using this process. (please don't sue me!)

Downloads:

1. HTC drivers - http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
2. SuperUser/root .zip (to be flashed from recovery, NOT unzipped) -
http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

Downloads for installing CWM (Optional):

Note: ONLY for use in installing ClockWorkMod manually. Do NOT download these if you let the Revolutionary S-Off tool download and install it for you.

3. Fastboot and ADB tool - http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1308537076
4. ClockWorkMod recovery .img - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10675316/cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img

Obtaining S-Off:

1. Go to
Revolutionary and click the download link at the bottom. (this guide is only for windows but i may update with linux instructions later)
2. Enter your OS (windows for this guide) device (HTC Droid Incredible 2) and HBoot version (there's only one option) in the blue box under the download link. Serial number will come in a minute.
3. Unzip/extract the zip you downloaded with your favorite zipping program. (I use WinRar but there are plenty of others that work just as well)
4. Run the revolutionary.exe
5. Make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging) and fast boot disabled. (Settings -> Power -> fast boot)
6. Plug your phone in to your computer via USB.
7. Enter the serial number on the revolutionary website (told you) and click generate key.

8. Enter the generated beta key into the command prompt window. (if it doesn't accept it you probably entered it in wrong)
9. It will do it's thing for a minute or so, and after a while it will say success (hopefully) and ask if you want to download and install ClockWorkMod recovery.
10. When this guide was first made that functionality was broken, but now it seems it has been fixed. Enter "Y" and if it works you can skip the "Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery" section of this guide and go strait to the "Obtaining Root Privileges" section. If the window closes on you randomly or tells you it failed you will need to manually install CWM.

Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery (Optional):

Note/Warning: Do NOT do this part of the guide if you used the Revolutionary S-Off tool to install CWM. (successfully)
Note: From this point on, the majority of my information (including files and links) comes from this thread [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers.

11. You will now need to download the fastboot and ADB tool (download # 3) and ClockWorkMod recovery (4) for the DINC2.
12. Open the command prompt and look at the directory it's pointing to. (should be something like "C:\Users\*your name*") extract the fastboot and ADB .zip to the *your name* folder, and move the CWM .img to the same location.

Note: I'm terrible with windows commands so there may be a way to do this without dumping everything into your user folder, but this works fine too.

13. Type "fastboot flash recovery *name_of_CWM_file*.img" into the command prompt and press enter. It should work for no more than a few seconds and then tell you it's done!
14. Now you can navigate the menu on your phone's screen with the volume up and down keys and select "Reboot" with the power key. BUT WAIT! Before it starts back up again you need to press and hold the volume down button until it turns on again! Did you read this before you selected reboot?? If not you had better hurry!!!! If you missed it it's fine you can just wait on the phone to boot up again and then reboot it like you always would. But remember to do it this time!

Obtaining Root Privileges:

15. Navigate the hboot menu with the volume keys and select "Recovery" with the power button. (If you don't see an option for "recovery" try doing step 14)
16. While you're waiting on it to reboot download/make sure you have downloaded this SuperUser/root .zip (2) (can you believe you still aren't rooted?? But it's okay you've been making good progress!)
17. Go back to your phone and take a look at that sweet new recovery! (I know. I wish i could change the color too.) Navigate to the "mounts and storage" option and select it (same keys as before) select "mount USB storage".
18. Copy the SuperUser/root .zip from your computer to your SD card once it shows up on your PC. (I like to have a folder on my SD card called "Updates" just to keep all my .zip files in one place)

Note: This is a good time to create a backup if you want to, but I haven't included those steps in this guide because it isn't essential to rooting your phone.

19. Once the file is done copying select "Unmount" then "***Go Back***" then "Install zip from SD card" then "Choose zip from SD card" then find the folder you put the SU/root .zip and select it then select "yes - Install *SU/root*.zip
20. Go back to the main screen in CWM and choose "Reboot system now" and you're all done!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back!

This is my first guide so I'd love feedback of any kind and if you have any questions don't be afraid to either reply with it or PM me and I'll see what I can do :)

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR FRESHLY ROOTED HTC INCREDIBLE 2!!
Don't be afraid to donate to Unrevoked and AlphaRev!
They did a lot of hard work and deserve to be rewarded for making all this possible :)

thank you for this! i just got done after a bit of questioning after the screen disappeared. didn't know if i had cwm for sure. i kept going cuz thought i did and all is well so far! thanks! was easy! almost as one click!!!
thanks again for all the work!