Gtalk advice

saxman34

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm a recent convert from BlackBerry, and I have a couple of issues with my phone, but they're minor (I still can't get the hang of the touch screen keyboard... but I assume that will come with time, and I'd like a broader cut and paste capability - I lost a friend's number, and she gchatted me the new one, and I had no way of adding it to her existing contact page without a pen and paper).

That said (and I never thought I'd say this), I feel like the android's native gtalk app is far worse than the one I had on Blackberry (and lest you get confused, I'm not talking about BBM, but the BB gtalk app). As best I can tell, there aren't any alternatives in the android market, but things I had on the BB and would appreciate are (again) some copy and paste, better integration with the other phone functions (such that I could call or text or email someone from the gtalk interface), and, (I know this is trivial) most important to me, the ability to see a contact's gchat status in the dialogue window, or at the very least in my open conversations without having to get to my friend list, long-hold over their name, and specifically click on info.

Do you guys know any alterations to the app that will allow me to more readily see my friends' gchat status? If not, do you know of another gchat app that has that kind of functionality?

Also, if you guys know of any free live wallpapers that have a noirish picture of NYC at night or damn near anything related to jazz (preferably horn players) that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm a recent convert from BlackBerry, and I have a couple of issues with my phone, but they're minor (I still can't get the hang of the touch screen keyboard... but I assume that will come with time, and I'd like a broader cut and paste capability - I lost a friend's number, and she gchatted me the new one, and I had no way of adding it to her existing contact page without a pen and paper).

That said (and I never thought I'd say this), I feel like the android's native gtalk app is far worse than the one I had on Blackberry (and lest you get confused, I'm not talking about BBM, but the BB gtalk app). As best I can tell, there aren't any alternatives in the android market, but things I had on the BB and would appreciate are (again) some copy and paste, better integration with the other phone functions (such that I could call or text or email someone from the gtalk interface), and, (I know this is trivial) most important to me, the ability to see a contact's gchat status in the dialogue window, or at the very least in my open conversations without having to get to my friend list, long-hold over their name, and specifically click on info.

Do you guys know any alterations to the app that will allow me to more readily see my friends' gchat status? If not, do you know of another gchat app that has that kind of functionality?

Also, if you guys know of any free live wallpapers that have a noirish picture of NYC at night or damn near anything related to jazz (preferably horn players) that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Well, you can see everyone's status on Gtalks main page. Long press on the picture and 5 options come up. One is for going to the contacts page, one to phone, one to text, one to gtalk. You can press on the picture anywhere you happen to be in Gtalk or contacts to do this. to make this happen.

You can open a conversation by swiping the window to the person you want to have a conversation with. If you've cleaned up your windows then you would have to go to the main Gtalk page.

Look in the Market for a copy paste app, I think there is one in there now. For a long time that was an issue, now there are paid and free apps.

Hope that helps you.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can use any combo chat app to do Gtalk (eBuddy, meebo, etc). Don't know if that will help you but the paste thing in GTalk does bother me sometimes.

You can also go to your google profile page and see every conversation you've had on gtalk. Maybe you can copy and paste from there?