GSM Galaxy Nexus Goes Through the FCC!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Arkbird, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

[​IMG]

Well it looks like our fabled Galaxy Nexus just passed through the FCC with AT&T, T-Mobile (only one band), and worldwide GSM bands. Although it's supposed to be a Verizon exclusive, these new details make you wonder if this is a timed exclusive or if Google and Samsung have some other ideas planned for their newest ICS device.

yBwej.png

Source: FCC

Attached Files:

2. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Could this be the device in the video leak? People were mentioning the fact that the power button was in the wrong place and what have you.

That could mean that something a bit different is coming for Verizon.
  3. 561427

561427 New Member

dont you dare take this away from me verizion.
  4. Arkbird

Verizon is still getting it...we just don't know who else is now.
  5. stinger161

stinger161 New Member

I've just got a sinking feeling that Verizon will be getting some watered down version to replace the Charge that won't match other carriers. Why? I just think they have their mouth latched too hard to the nipple of Motorola that they are going to keep the Bionic as their flagship device for the foreseeable future, until the Dinara comes out. And once again it will be Moto, just behind the curve of Samsung. Like I said, just a feeling. Hopefully it's just the burrito I ate.
  6. creaky

creaky Member

I get the same sinking feeling as you, stinger, and I had a salad for lunch. I hope, hope, hope this phone is all its cracked up to be for VZW. I might go to AT&T out of frustration....
  7. MadDroid

MadDroid New Member

Verizon had better get this phone. And without the bloatware. I like my carrier but I am willing to jump ship for this device.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums
  8. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

VZW and an open/unlockable - bloat free phone? That does seem a bit far fetched now that I see it on virtual paper. Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised!
  9. diggy488

diggy488 New Member

As long as the specs are good, I don't care too much about the apps that come with it. After it's rooted, it'll be as clean my D1.
  10. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

Im still not so quitely waiting on the vigor(which should blow the bionic out of the water). So either way....We have atleast one nice phone coming to verizon!! Even if the vigor comes out with 1ghz dual core, It will be unlocked and able to flash custom kernels.

Personally i wouldnt be to unhappy if either of these phone come with a second or third gen energy efficient 1ghz dual core processor with the boot loader unlocked(like my dinc2). It would still be a beast compared to the bionic(unless somehow they unlock its bootloader). Plus it would have a very decent battery life.
  11. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

^The Bionic is not in the water :p
  12. combatmedic870

Well, it is....if you have a contract with verizon... :)

Its the best, as of right now.
  13. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

It's not like it not being a Verizon exclusive takes anything away from the phone, just means more members for this board right?:)

Exclusive or not, the phone on paper seems awesome and from the mock up drawing it looks great. Whether it's strictly on Verizon or not doesn't matter to me, after all Verizon phones only apply to me.
  14. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

If Verizon doesn't carry this phone it'll be the last straw , I said that with the GS2 but after spending half an hour in the Sprint store I decided to give them one more chance . Sprint has pretty much the same coverage in my area
  15. Arkbird

Why is everyone doubting verizon will get it? Just because a GSM version passed through the FCC doesn't mean VZW won't get it. This just means it could and probably will be released for other carriers at a later date.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  16. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Could it possibly be a world phone on Verizon?
  17. Arkbird

Not this version. This one is strictly a GSM phone.

EDIT: My apologies, I see what you're saying. I honestly don't think it will be a world phone for Verizon if there are two versions of the phone. One being this GSM version and the other being Verizon's CDMA/LTE variant.
  18. bigdad63

bigdad63 Member

Say it ain't so!

I hate to be the conspiracy theorist, and I hope I'm wrong, but something might be smelling funny.
    1. Remember when someone posted about having an inside friend at verizon who had hands on experience with both Prime and Vigor prototypes? This source said that the Vigor was actually the better phone. But that didn't make sense with the bulk of the specs seeming to lean towards the Prime.
    2. Cut to this last week, when more 'solid' specs on the prime were first announced. It was 5mp in back, 1.3mp in front and 1.2 GHz dual core. And we hardcore fans were disappointed.
    3. Then "revised" specs of 8mp, 2mp, and 1.5 MHz dual core popped up seemingly out of nowhere.
    4. Now the Prime hits the FCC and it is not for verizon.
    5. Add to that the new rumor that vzw is only getting a dumbed down version of the phone and that could possibly explain the first set of 'inferior' specs.

And now that I've posted sufficient slop to chew on, I will say that I am quieting my (potential) anger by telling myself that Sammy postponed the undoing announcement because they realized how heinous it would be to stick big red with a crappier version of what will be the best phone in the world.
  19. combatmedic870

I do hope your wrong but at the same time....i dont....if the prime for vzw is dumbed down that means more people will get the vigor and that means there will be more DEVs for the vigor. So that would be nice! :)
  20. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

I have loved my Inc 2 and was looking forward to the Vigor, but honestly am getting tired of the battery and charging issues that HTC can't seem to get straightened out. Since rooting, my Inc and now my Inc 2 are better, but still, to unplug for ten seconds on green and plug back in for another thirty minutes of charging is a nuisance.

And hoping that Google is truly a Google Experience phone with direct support from Google would be nice.