GSM Functionality

Tha187um

Reaction score
I should have searched on this before it took my trip overseas :( Im using scott's GBE rom 1.7.5 and discovered I could no longer use my phone overseas, I thought something was wrong with the phone. But is it possible the ROM has something to do with it? I use LTE switch (not 4636, which by the way seems to look the same on either method) well I was able to receive a text message when I charged the overseas sim card, but the carrier never locked, i was not able to make or receive calls and the bars kept getting dropped even though on status it said edge connected but no carrier... now keep in mind I've used this feature twice before without a problem...

so could this be the actual rom? or the radios flashed (not sure what the terminology on this is) Thanks...

Updated 09-06-2012
~~~~~~~~~~
Im reviving this old thread just to update that with the latest Global RUU, FULL GSM functionality is wide open... I just came back from overseas and I was now able to use Voice, SMS, and Data (edge). Trust me with the data prices, I am glad is only edge
smile.png
at least I was able to use whatsapp

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you haven't updated your firmware, or flashed new radios after s-off than you should still have the same stock radios I believe. I am going to say it's probably the rom if it worked for you before and doesn't now, or it could be a bad sim. I wasn't aware that you could use the Rezound out of the US though.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rezound is cdma/lte which can only be used with Verizon. Its not a GSM phone.

pbickel

Reaction score
Droid-Xer said:
The rezound is cdma/lte which can only be used with Verizon. Its not a GSM phone.

The rezound does have a built in radio and can be used over seas by changing the connection type via the hidden menu

OP
T

Tha187um

Reaction score
If you haven't updated your firmware, or flashed new radios after s-off than you should still have the same stock radios I believe. I am going to say it's probably the rom if it worked for you before and doesn't now, or it could be a bad sim. I wasn't aware that you could use the Rezound out of the US though.

Thanks, yeah i think recall flashing the radio some time ago when i flashed to a leaked version of ics that required me to, bummer :/

and the sim was good, i tried the same one i used before. i had to use a backup blackberry :)

Droid-xer, yeah the phone is not listed as a world phone but indeed it is by simply switching the radio mode to wcdma from the hidden menu or lte switch app :) ive used it on previous trips with no flaws...

I still was able to use it as my stand alone GPS :)

OP
T

Tha187um

Reaction score
But when you root the phone don't you lose the hidden menu?

No, ive heard that it depends on the rom, but im rooted on gbe and ics from scotts rom and hidden menu is still there but i always use lte switc to make the change.

pbickel

Reaction score
shockracer said:
But when you root the phone don't you lose the hidden menu?

Depending on what Rom you're using. I am on Scotts Rom 4.4 and it still has the hidden menu. If you use the newest ics leak I believe they removed the hidden menu

OP
T

Tha187um

Reaction score
Depending on what Rom you're using. I am on Scotts Rom 4.4 and it still has the hidden menu. If you use the newest ics leak I believe they removed the hidden menu

Lucky you, i cannot longer use ics as the phone starts rebooting every few seconds :( after scotts ics 3.7

pbickel

Reaction score
Tha187um said:
Lucky you, i cannot longer use ics as the phone starts rebooting every few seconds :( after scotts ics 3.7

You need a firmare batch if you are still on GB firmware. If you don't use the patch then it will reboot like crazy. When you download Scott's ics roms it comes with a patch.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Using the 4636 hidden menu, with stock GB, people have been able to get GSM working - but I have read the Rezound's radio might not support all GSM frequencies.

People have been successful getting voice calls working - both receiving and originating calls.
Texting is a problem, and DATA seems to need jumping through many hoops and may not be reliable.

You can read about it in this rather long thread:
[Q] Global Phone [CONFIRMED] (SOLUTION MAY BE ON THE CARDS SOON FOR SMS) UPDATE 12 - xda-developers

The general feeling is that the Rezound's hardware makes it a Global phone, and that Verizon's software interferes with this. The Pokemon ROM is working to get these Global Phone capabilities working better, but the last I have read it is not completed.

It would be nice to have the capability to change the SIM card and have a working cell phone while visiting another country. It is also possible that some people may want to save money and after their Verizon contract is expired move their Rezound phone to another service like T-Mobile.

Howard

OP
T

Tha187um

Reaction score
You need a firmare batch if you are still on GB firmware. If you don't use the patch then it will reboot like crazy. When you download Scott's ics roms it comes with a patch.
Are you serious??? I hope you are right... Ive asked everywhere and no one had a clue, mr. Smith recommended i went staright to scotts' forum and had no response there either...Ok so the patch extratcs itself from the rom.zip???

pbickel

Reaction score
Tha187um said:
Are you serious??? I hope you are right... Ive asked everywhere and no one had a clue, mr. Smith recommended i went staright to scotts' forum and had no response there either...Ok so the patch extratcs itself from the rom.zip???

Read all of his instructions on the install on his site he will mention a GB firmware patch and give the directions to download and install in recovery

Sent from my super fast rooted HTC Rezound running Scott's CleanRom 4.4 using Droid Forums