group texting setup?

Reaction score
I am new to texting and wanted to know if it is possible to setup a group text on the android?
I am a coach of a soccer team and would like to send out a text message to each member of the team but only do it once rather than send each person one.
As I mentioned before I do not use texting often so I am not sure if I can do this.
Thanks,
Steven

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Handcent allows group texting - but I think you need to first set up your group in your contacts (address book) app.

Sent from my Droid X

johnnycool001

Reaction score
+1 for Handcent, touch compose and it pulls up your contact list, each has a check box, check the ones you want the hit back, compose and send.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Not sure which phone you have - but I have an X and if I open my contact app, there is a bar towards the top with a green + sign...click on this and select add group and then add the contacts to the group...

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have the original Droid and I do not see a green +

I do not have my D1 with me...possibly press the menu key when you are in the contacts area to see if you have "add group" option...

HOGMAN

Reaction score
Not sure which phone you have - but I have an X and if I open my contact app, there is a bar towards the top with a green + sign...click on this and select add group and then add the contacts to the group...

I have the Droid X also, but when I select the green + sign it only allows me to create a new contact, not a new group... I've been looking everywhere to create new groups that also allow me to use people from my facebook and gmail accounts as well as people I in-puted that are not in either locations.

DefAntNJ

Reaction score
I know this thread is old but I thought I'd provide some answers since it doesn't seem like anyone found an answer. At least for the DroidX.

For the Droid X, you press the Contacts list button on your main screen. Bottom right the one that looks like a mannequin. Then click the Menu hardkey. Press the "Display Group" and a menu will pop up. Depending on what you use, this will display your Gmail, Phone Contacts, Facebook, Favorites, and All Contacts groups. Here you can do "+ Create new group"

:)dancedroid

d5290

Reaction score
Create Contact Groups LG Ally

I see the group has managed to figure out how to create contacts groups for Droid. Anyone know how to do it on LG Ally? I have tried using Handcent but it does seem to want the groups to be preexisting.

thanks in advance for any info...:icon_ banana:

mcs2003

Reaction score
I tried all the above to create groups and none worked. I downloaded Handcent, and then adding a group to my Gmail with syncing.There was no "display group" option. Is there anything else out there?