Group Texting Issue

bishoy

Reaction score
alright, here we go lol:

My scenario:
I am in charge of sending out mass texts about church events. This group is consisted of 120+ people. it is always the same people so i have them saved in a group called "church people". These texts are sent out at least twice a week and as much as 10 times a week.

My Phone:
  • Motorola Droid 2
  • Stock 2.2 (Updated)
  • I use handcent to send the mass texts
  • The contacts are saved on Gmail

My Problem
1. Whenever I send out a text, I get this popup that says too many texts have been sent out. press OK to continue or cancel to stop sending. (i have to press OK about 50 times. If i accidentally miss one, it doesnt get sent)
2. about 50 of the (estimated) 130 people actually get the text.
3. Handcent freezes while sending the text. it gives me the option to either force close or wait for it to respond. I always click wait and it works. but i dont want it to freeze even if it works by clicking wait.

What I want
I want that message to go away. i understand that I may have to root for this. I dont mind.

I want everyone to get my text. this is embarrassing when I have to give the job to someone on tmobile who has a blackberry and it actually gets done right

Side question
Does vzw have a cap on how many texts i am allowed to send per day/hour/etc.? I know about the whole "no more than 10" rule but handcent takes care of that.

So....... any takers?

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Really? No one?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

poloman

Reaction score
I used to have that problem but now it is better. See if there is a setting for batch anywhere.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
The stock app doesn't allow you to send to more than 10 people at once

Milton515

Reaction score
There is an app in the market called "Mass Text Personalizer" its free and it allows you to send big mass texts.... The only thing is that it doesn't support MMS yet

Sent from D1 running metiCkMod v2.2 Complete Galaxy S Theme

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Ok I'll try that tonight. What about the message that says I have been sending a lot of texts? I know that this is a limitation in the android os, no matter what app you use to send texts. Is there a way to disable that?

ruvy01

Reaction score
The stock app doesn't allow you to send to more than 10 people at once

if its a regular txt less than 160 characters then you can send it to all your contacts.just press the green plus button in the texting app... if its mms then it might not.. never tried

Milton515

Reaction score
Ok I'll try that tonight. What about the message that says I have been sending a lot of texts? I know that this is a limitation in the android os, no matter what app you use to send texts. Is there a way to disable that?

Idk about that.... I know exactly what you are talking about, because I use chompsms for my txt and mms and I get that same message when I send out to alot of people when Im promoting for a party

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Idk about that.... I know exactly what you are talking about, because I use chompsms for my txt and mms and I get that same message when I send out to alot of people when Im promoting for a party

I am assuming it can be done (with root access of course) but I don't think there are enough people that need something like this to be done so no one wants to waste their time with it.

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
if its a regular txt less than 160 characters then you can send it to all your contacts.just press the green plus button in the texting app... if its mms then it might not.. never tried

Even if that is true, I don't want to manually select each contact (over 120 of them) every time I want to send a text

Milton515

Reaction score

I am assuming it can be done (with root access of course) but I don't think there are enough people that need something like this to be done so no one wants to waste their time with it.

Yea, I think that too.... BUt I wish somebody would take on the project, because it gets annoying after so long.... I would, but I dont know how to do it....

ruvy01

Reaction score

Even if that is true, I don't want to manually select each contact (over 120 of them) every time I want to send a text

true that :\

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Yea, I think that too.... BUt I wish somebody would take on the project, because it gets annoying after so long.... I would, but I dont know how to do it....

Yea same here, I wouldn't know how either. Hopefully there is a bored dev with lots and lots of time just dying for something to do reading this post

Milton515

Reaction score

Yea same here, I wouldn't know how either. Hopefully there is a bored dev with lots and lots of time just dying for something to do reading this post

U might be able to post this in the Tech Squad section and find a solution

Sent from D1 running metiCkMod v2.2 Complete Galaxy S Theme