Group Texting! Droid Does!

Erich_F

Reaction score
I pulled the standard messaging app icon off my home screen, yes. But, if needed, it's still down in the app pull up.

To stop double notifications:

Open the standard messaging app.
Tap Menu.
Tap Settings.
Scroll down and uncheck Auto-Retrieve.
Scroll down and uncheck Notifications.
Back out and close the app.

smteacher74

Reaction score
Being new to Droid and smartphones I need to see if anyone can offer advice on how to sync the groups from gmail.

I have created groups in gmail, I am logged in to gmail on the Droid, but I cannot get my groups to sync with the Droid.

Any thoughts?

windstrings

Reaction score
Being new to Droid and smartphones I need to see if anyone can offer advice on how to sync the groups from gmail.

I have created groups in gmail, I am logged in to gmail on the Droid, but I cannot get my groups to sync with the Droid.

Any thoughts?

Make sure your phone is set to sync with the google account you are dealing with.

1. settings----->accounts and sync---->
2. make sure "auto-sync" is checked.
3. on the same page make sure the account you are dealing with is set to "sync is on"
4. you can touch that account and it will open... you should see a breakdown of all the things set to sync so you can selectively disable things if you want.
Contacts, Calendar, and Gmail

5. from the menu at the botton you can hit "sync now" or simply select which one you want to sync by unchecking and then rechecking it and it will sync.

Once you get it to do it once, it will do it automatically as long as you don't turn selections you did off.

*Note, contacts will sync with your contacts on that gmail account you have setup.
Calendar will sync with google calendar you have on that same account.
Gmail will sync with your gmail.

If you care, there is an app on your phone called "Gdocs" and will sync with google docs on the account you have set to sync with too.

Erich_F

Reaction score

Any thoughts?

I have my contacts in GMAIL grouped as well. As far as I can tell, the groups in Gmail do not transfer over to the Droid.

I have gone over to Handcent for Grouping for messaging. Gmail on the Droid does not support preset group emailing.

windstrings

Reaction score
I have my contacts in GMAIL grouped as well. As far as I can tell, the groups in Gmail do not transfer over to the Droid.

I have gone over to Handcent for Grouping for messaging. Gmail on the Droid does not support preset group emailing.

Mine groups sync just fine with the droid... now that youve created new groups.. go into your droid and go to contacts and then display options and you should see your new group there "if not go sync your account first in ssttings---> accounts & sync---> pick your account make sure sync is on" now uncheck everything and make sure "my contacts" is checked.

If that doesnt work go also check at the bottom "all other contacts".

If you had to check the latter, you need to go back into your google account online and make sure all your contacts are in your " my contacts" list and not just in that one group... otherwise you wont see them unless that specific group is checked in the droid.

Believe me it works....

my main gripe is you cant create, delete or edit groups from the droid.. that has to all be done from the online google account.

Once you get things where you can see the groups in display option in the droid contacts.. then handcent will see them too.

P.S. once you get everyone assigned to "my contacts" on your online google account, you won't even need to have the checkbox checked in the droid that says "all other contacts"..... I can just check "system:my contacts" alone and I can see all of my contacts, regardless of what group they are in.

Its almost like my contacts is the main directory and the other groups are subdirectories... but you have to make sure you have it set that way by including everyone you want to see in "my contacts"

I personally created another google account just for my droid so it doesn't get all the regular spam and communication that goes on with my regular google account.

I can always sync with it too any time I desire, but I don't desire!... that keeps the droid nice and clean without tons of false alarms coming through my email.
I don't give at address to anyone and the only correspondence I do is related to the phone.... but thats just me.
You may like all the conversation of your regular email.. but I have to work and would rather choose them when I want, not when they want me.

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
My LG Dare could create groups, delete groups, assign contacts to groups... none of which the Droid can do!

You have to go onto the google online account site and do it from there.. but the droid won't do it.

The only thing the Droid will do is send a message to a group or members of the group thats already been created from elsewhere.

I love the Droid, but lets not give it credit in this area till it earns it.

For something so simple, this should be a piece of cake for such a sophisticated device to accomplish..

Google has worked to accomplish some pretty cool things and overlooked some of the obvious.. figuring an app will fill in the gaps.

It appears its just not a priority with Google.

I personally think its lame to have to do such a needed task from online and not be able to do it from the phone.....especially when regular phones will do it.

Maheek

Reaction score
I'm with "WindStrings"... the Droid software pretty much sucks in the area of Group texting. My Blackberry Pearl has me spoiled. I've dowloaded chompSMS, texteasy, and HandCent. They all fall short in significant ways. I synced my GMail to my Pearl as part of switching to the Droid. Most of my contacts have home and cell numbers. With Gmail, I can set up only groups using only generic contacts in them. When HandCent sends, it asks me to choose manually (cell or home) for EACH person. Some of these lists have about a hundred people. I've not found anything usable for group texting that comes anywhere close to Blackberry. I am very close to returning my Driod and getting a newer BB.

Last edited:

okeeffm

Reaction score
Text Easy works with the native messaging service to provide a list of contacts you can checkmark to send group messages. For those who don't like handcent.....

windstrings

Reaction score
Text Easy works with the native messaging service to provide a list of contacts you can checkmark to send group messages. For those who don't like handcent.....

From what I'm reading, this app only sends to a max of 10 contacts and does not create or is able to edit groups from the Droid.

At least with Handcent I have no limitations "that I know of" as to how many contacts I can send a message to....
I know I"ve sent one message to over 20 contacts before on one send.

2young2bMimi

Reaction score
group texting without gmail?

I use a Microsoft exchange server for my contacts and do NOT use gmail. I'd like to be able to create a group to send texts to on a regular basis such as family, clients, etc. Is there a way to do this WITHOUT using gmail?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!