Group messaging problem on X?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So over the weekend I noticed that group messaging seems to be problematic on my Moto X.

While hunting, my hunting partners and I use group texting to communicate. One has an iPhone, one a S3 and one a S4. All on Verizon.

When I send a group text all receive it as the group. When the iPhone sends I get it as a group message. But when the S3 or S4 send it then I get only a message to me, the rest of the group is not on the message, though they got the message as a group message themselves.

Anyone else seeing this? Did some googling and group messaging on the X seems to be problematic carrier wide, though worse on some than others.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed the exact same thing. I also have a family member with an iPhone and one with an S3 and it's exactly as you described. When the S3 sends me a group text I don't know it's been sent to a group and I can't see who the group members are.

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed the exact same thing. I also have a family member with an iPhone and one with an S3 and it's exactly as you described. When the S3 sends me a group text I don't know it's been sent to a group and I can't see who the group members are.

I was able to mitigate it with the Samsung users by switching my texting client to Hangouts. However, I still experience this when my mom sends a group message using her dumb phone.

Should be noted, all worked fine on my Razr, it just started happening after I bought my X.

nri1998

Reaction score
As I said Hangouts helps, but doesn't resolve it.

ANyone with Motorola ties that can check this out?

I noticed this yesterday but why do you think it is Moto X problem rather than S3 or S4 problem? Group messages going out of Moto X seems to be fine but anyone with S3 or S4 in the group sending messages back is causing this problem. That's what I noticed.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I noticed this yesterday but why do you think it is Moto X problem rather than S3 or S4 problem? Group messages going out of Moto X seems to be fine but anyone with S3 or S4 in the group sending messages back is causing this problem. That's what I noticed.

As I said in an earlier post, my X does seem to handle the incoming group texts from different phones differently. But before I got my X (I had a Bionic) incoming group texts from those same phones were all handled fine - showing as a group, as they should be.

nri1998

Reaction score
As I said in an earlier post, my X does seem to handle the incoming group texts from different phones differently. But before I got my X (I had a Bionic) incoming group texts from those same phones were all handled fine - showing as a group, as they should be.

You are right. I was arguing with my friend (who has S4) on this issue last week. I thought he was sending separate message to me even though the chatting was a group chatting. He kept saying that he was not doing anything like that. I even took his phone and checked the settings but he was right. Now this thread confirms my suspicions.

tbolted

Reaction score
My BiL has an X, and group messages from him come in as an attachment, but when I open it I just have a text from him to me, no sign of it being a group message at all, even though I know it is. Not sure what phone my nephew has but he can see and respond to the group text from my BiL, but I see his as just a single text to me as well. Same with my wife and her iPhone 5.

I'm using GO SMS Pro, but I see the same behavior from Hangouts and Messaging. Been meaning to ask about it on here, but wasn't sure if it was a phone thing or not. Guess so, I'll be interested to see if someone figures something out.