grounded.. dad taking my phone away & i want to keep my number

Crazy

Reaction score
Okay so here's the story.

I have a Motorola Droid and my dad took it away and is going to start using it for himself next week.

He said I can't have it back til my birthday. Which is in damn Feb 2011!!

I have a spare Droid because my friend didn't like it and gave it to me HEHE. My dad has no idea xD

I was wondering if I could transfer my number to somebody like T-Mobile and hold the # til I'm 18 and make my own vzw account then?? I really like my # and way too many ppl know my number too.. thanks!

bass_lover1

Reaction score
Maybe you should worry more about fixing your mistake, instead of going behind your father's back. Which, IME will inevitably make it worse.

TLBlackRose

Reaction score
hmm

Not entirely sure but i do believe you would have to cancel the verizon account,but im sure your dad would find out.Then you would have to purchase another phone from a different company.I think you have to change numbers when you switch wireless phone companies.No matter what you do to keep your number your dad will have to find out.

Just get a prepaid phone till feb or beg for your phone back.Do some chores!

OP
C

Crazy

Reaction score
I mean I learned from my mistake. I have np with my dad using my Droid but not with my # ... I have over 150 contacts and don't want them communicating with my dad

OP
C

Crazy

Reaction score
My dad has no problem with changing numbers but I want to keep mine! Anyway I can transfer it to a Verizon prepaid or anything?

bass_lover1

Reaction score
I mean I learned from my mistake. I have np with my dad using my Droid but not with my # ... I have over 150 contacts and don't want them communicating with my dad

Have you told him this? Maybe he'll be a bit more understanding then.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
your number..... bwahahahahahah!!!!111 it's always been your dad's number, he just let you borrow it.

Have fun with your Moto Razr

smokiedabong

Reaction score
You can take a phone number to any service provider , but this can't be done without the approval of the account holder . You can port your number to T-Mobile , but you can't use a Droid on T-mobile because they are using different technologies , actually you can only use the Droid on VZ .
If you try to create an account with T-Mobile and take the number from VZ , the VZ account will be canceled for that number and you have to pay an early termination fee of 350$ it you had a 2 yr contract with them .
So either convince your father to give you that line add a second one for him , or start giving your friends a new phone number

titans1

Reaction score
can i make a suggestion. First whatever you did must have been pretty good since he is taking that away. Second you are not old enough to sign a contract for a cell phone so you are outta luck till at least 18 some states 19. Third if you had learned from your mistake you wouldnt be trying to go behind your dads back and do this. fourth you dont want your friends talking to your dad raises all kinds of alarm bells in my head. Sounds like maybe you didnt learn your lesson after all.

Lastly a little fatherly advise( i have 4 children) if you sincerely appologize and ask if there is some way to keep your phone and actually be very sincere you might have a chance depending on what you did wrong to begin with. Also depends on your history with your parents. I can say this if your dad is anything like me and he senses some bs you will be outta luck. take it or leave it. hope this helps.

OP
C

Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My dad has no problem with me having a phone but he wants to take my Communication abilities away such as data and text. So he only wants talk only. So would it be possible to xfer my # to something like vzw prepaid and use some cheap phone for the time being? Thanks.

titans1

Reaction score
depends...was your number the primary on the account. if so then no you cant, without closeing the accoubnt. if not then yes you can but then your dad is going to have to hook up the droid to his number and its a little time consuming at a vzw store. You can maybe get prepaid transfer i dunno though. why dont you just get a plain phone of craigs for verizon and add it to your dads account? then you dont have to have data and everything else.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
you cannot, under any circumstances, port a number between a contract and a prepaid plan, and vise versa, even on the same carrier

at least that's what every carrier has told me as I had a prepaid number for years and didn't want to give it up... talked to tmo, vzw, at&t, and sprint - all told me the same thing

smokiedabong

Reaction score
you cannot, under any circumstances, port a number between a contract and a prepaid plan, and vise versa, even on the same carrier

at least that's what every carrier has told me as I had a prepaid number for years and didn't want to give it up... talked to tmo, vzw, at&t, and sprint - all told me the same thing

That's weird because last year I bought a VZ prepay number only to test it to see if I have better signal than ATT . After two weeks I switched to a full contract and I kept the same number , after 2 months when the ATT contract expired I was able to port my ATT number to VZ as my new main phone number at no charge or without canceling the contract .

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

That's weird because last year I bought a VZ prepay number only to test it to see if I have better signal than ATT in some areas were I was going . After two weeks I switched to a full contract and I kept the same number , after 2 months when the ATT contract expired I was able to port my ATT number to VZ as my new main phone number at no charge or without canceling the contract .

You're right... I lied - when I was doing my research, I remember now that VZW did tell me that you could keep a # going from prepaid to contract if it was all on Verizon, though I don't think it worked the other way around (contract to prepaid - though, obviously my memory isn't perfect on this one ;)). Unfortunately, in my case, my prepaid plan/# was with T-Mobile, and I couldn't move it to a contract with TMO or any others. AT&T was the same way.