Greetings from a new Thunderbolt user

BrettB

Reaction score
Hello to JohnDroid and the rest of you! I'm a new HTC Thunderbolt user. I got mine the first day they were available, and while I'm pleased with it I have data connection issues and I have my eye on new accessories such as docks. I'll just be moseying about seeing what info folks have to share. Greetings to all, and thanks in advance for another source of information. -Brett

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
Funny I should find this forum first. And while it appears that you have useful info here I also found the Thunderbolt Forum and will likely, of course, be over there more often...

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum! glad u made it over. r u on the 4G network? was curious as u mentioned data connection

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
I'm on 3G nearly all the time but close to the edge of a 4G cell at home. I've suspicions about the effect of the boundary at night when the atmospherics makes the signal just barely available. I will occasionally see 4G when I awake pre-sunrise and sure enough, nearly every morning requires a reboot to get my data back. Are there links where I can read more about similar issues, and possibly, solutions? Cheers, Brett

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ur very welcome. one more thing, is ur wireless/network set up with CDMA and as automatic? like my mine sometimes after a reset it goes back to Global network which slows my connectivity and eats battery life
good luck hope u find everything else awesome

burgeke

Reaction score
I'm on 3G nearly all the time but close to the edge of a 4G cell at home. I've suspicions about the effect of the boundary at night when the atmospherics makes the signal just barely available. I will occasionally see 4G when I awake pre-sunrise and sure enough, nearly every morning requires a reboot to get my data back. Are there links where I can read more about similar issues, and possibly, solutions? Cheers, Brett

I'm in the same situation and experience constant drops and switching from 3G to 4G. I've found that locking to one or the other (LTE on off from market) fixes my problems. Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
so 4G really isn't all that great huh. im sure there's still lots more upgrades to their systems

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
Thanks burgeke. I will certainly give that a try. I saw today that they are coming out with a software update (radio firmware maybe) for the TB. Maybe that will be the longterm solution.

Cheers,
Brett

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
Just as a follow-up to burgeke, I tried the suggestion and set my phone to 3G only and, for this morning anyway, it worked. I remained connected and continue to have uninterrupted data service. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

spindizzy

Reaction score
How are you guys selecting just 3g?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
I used "LTE OnOff" from the Market, and suggested by burgeke, and I am very pleased with it. I have not had a problem since blocking 4G. I did download the Thunderbolt update this afternoon and I am hopeful that will fix the issue. I have re-enabled 4G and I am looking forward to seeing if I have problems tomorrow morning.

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
Here is an update, as it may be pertinent to others...

After updating to the new Android version I still had problems with my data connection being lost in the morning. Yesterday Verizon asked that I do a factory reset. While frustrating, more of my configuration was preserved than I had anticipated. On the down side, my Thunderbolt crashed first thing when I used it this morning. After it restarted and was up for an hour or so I once again lost my data connection. :icon_evil:

Verizon has decided that it is a hardware issue specific to my phone. I will have a new phone (and a new chance to reconfigure it :icon_eek:) on Tuesday. I'll keep in touch...

OP
B

BrettB

Reaction score
New Thunderbolt, New Problems:

I received the new phone. It did not arrive factory reset and I called Verizon support to see if I should do it myself or just enter the accounts. There response was to just enter the accounts and proceed. I noted that, unlike when I had done the factory reset, Google Market forgot about all my free app downloads and I had to search each one out. I still ended up with data network outages except now it was on and off all day long, and this was happening at home and in the office and not someplace new. I also had a few complete crashes and reboots.

Back on the phone with Verizon, I was told to visit a retail Verizon shop and replace the SIM card. It has only been one day, but so far this seems to have worked. SIM card replacement, it seems, can be a fix for certain types of data connection problems involving folks living on the wrong side of the edge of a 4G cell.

Verizon support also asked me to contact Google at a specific number and ask them to remove some corruption he felt was associated with my account. I called Google at the number given and was told that they will not speak with Android users at all. Got to wonder where the disconnect was...

In any case, only a one day test, but I had 3G data this morning without having to do a reboot. Hurray!