Greed?

mjs31

Reaction score
And there hasn't been a "whole bunch" of phones, just the Nexus 1 and that is a #fail in regards to sales.
Motorio? 8 megapixel camera, as well as some retarded amount of internal memory

Which carrier? Nobody knows yet. When for sure is it coming? Nobody can say for absolute sure. Side by Side comparison? Nope...not yet.

To many what ifs.....just let it go and enjoy the Droid

P.S. I am still not close to filling the memory I have....

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
8 Megapixel? Who needs it? Bigger screen? Won't fit in my pocket. More memory - sure I'll take it but not at the expense of a overall worse phone.

Everyone thought the Nexus One would be great and it's not.

There will always be something new coming out. The Droid is great - does everything I need. Who cares.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anybody else, but I for one feel a little used and abused. A little more than a month ago I bought what I thought was the best phone availble to the market (Droid). Now google and motorola have released numerous "super phones" almost directly after. I'm a little more than upset about this, how do they expect to build a proper fan base, i.e. iPhone followers, if each time they release a phone they step on all their customers the next month with a better phone????

They have? That's news to me... they have announced a few phones that are coming (mainly to GSM networks) but other than the Nexus (which is NOT available on VZW yet) there hasn't really been anything even close to resembling your post... but in all honesty WELCOME TO TECHNOLOGY... what did you expect? For Moto and Google to wait 6-12+ months just so you could enjoy being at the top?

(and in all actuality you will still be at the top for at least 6 months because it will be that long for the announced phones to come to market and get any market share)

I dont see anything better out there. Look over at the Google Nexus complaint logs...its horrible.

Yep, hope Moto and VZW really take their time before pushing 2.1 OTA given all the Nexus problems (many of which are OS related). There is always a HEAVY price to pay to being on the 'bleeding edge' of the curve.

OP
schertz7

schertz7

Reaction score
guess some are just sipping the droid cool-aid more than others haha. Like I said, I love the phone, its great, has some issues. Little dissapointed I have to hack the phone to get it to do what others do from the factory, But none the less happy. I was just bitter about the explosion of concept phones directly after my purchase. Call it buyers remorse I guess.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think sc4fpse hit the nail on the head with their very thoughtful response. I also agree that no matter what you buy, appliance, car, phone, radio, computer or whatever else, rest assured it will be obsolete. As for the Moto Droid - nawww, you've got the best phone available, and I don't see anyone challenging it for a while. When that next phone that is better than the Moto Droid comes out, it will be time for me to upgrade anyway.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I love how some people think just because a new product is out, suddenly what they have becomes "junk".

I need to find someone with last years Ferrari Modena that has the same mindset.
I agree....people need to realize that they are witnessing the birth of a brand with the Moto Droid.

It too will evolve over time. As it stands now it already has a very strong fanbase. The very same end-users that own the device now will more than likely buy the 2nd iteration and the 3rd so on and so forth. So the OP has to remember the true fanbase realizes the value of the current device and is not detracted by newer devices. Newer does not necessarily equate to better.

The Moto in it's current state is a SOLID and VERY RELIABLE device and this comes only after 3 months post launch.

I think people forget how 'perfect" this launch went. Out of the gates the device performed very well and lived up to, if not exceeded, expectations. Thats huge. There were no widespread issues, outages, or hardware problems that marred it's release. This is what makes the launch and the device a huge success. If it went any other way it would have been a disaster. They put all their eggs in one basket and took a HUGE risk on this device. A $100M USD risk to be exact.

The current Moto will remain very relevant for some time. You can bet from this point on the name Droid will carry with it a reputation of a reliable, stable, cutting edge device with stellar hardware and excellent build quality. They have established that and now they must continue to meet and exceed that with their future Moto Droid(s).

Google/VZW/Moto have their work cut out for them. The fanbase is there. They now have the job of expanding it.

The Moto Droid is the future for VZW.

bossrogue

Reaction score
As far as the fanbase is concerned, Android is steady climbing and iPhone fanbase is taking some hits. Welcome to the world of technology. Everything you buy depreciates, no matter what it is. Especially cell phones. Moto/VZW/Google, etc aren't just going to sit on their hands.

Woork

Reaction score
I'm a college student so I'm not really in a position to replace my phone every six months in order to adopt cutting-edge tech. I'm sure that the new phone reveals are tugging at the early adopter in all of us, but an updated version doesn't automatically mean that your current phone is crap. You need to remember that Motorola is a business; they're in it to make money. They don't owe you a thing.

tktouch12

Reaction score
yes there will always be something better. but think in 2 years you will be carrying a tiny little laptop-phone in your pocket. that helps me get through these tough new phone releases. also, if there are a bunch, then they should be cheap on ebay/ online after not too long(?). the operating system is android, so they can keep a big fanbase since its all the same software (basically)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
"If it doesn't make dollars then it doesn't make sense":icon_ lala:

OP
schertz7

schertz7

Reaction score
Lots of good points, thanks to some of you guys for taking the time to reply in a mature manner.

vtrider159

Reaction score
I just got my phone last Friday and in no way have buyer's remorse as mentioned here. This phone does well beyond what I ask of any phone and after seeing an engadget link about the Motoroi and the possiblity of it comming to the U.S., I don't see the plusses of the phone over the droid.

An 8mp camera for me does nothing but use battery power, I have an excellent digitial cam for that, and the bigger display just tells me it may be less portable for me because I pocket my phones and never attach them on belts. I also like a full button keyboard at times.

In regards to the iphone competition, the posts made here are all excellent in making their points that Google has the tech, money and innovation to compete with Apple, and droid users will have an assortment of phones in a year or two for people to choose as Apple may have just one, it's innovation and profit for Google and android.

These phones are expensive, and the thirst for tech by consumers make for profit, new tech, phone specs and upgraded memory make huge profits.

I especially like the above post about the Ferrari 360 owner lol My friend owned an F355 from 1997 and the car was awe inspiring so that comment made me laugh like hell lol.

aosman

Reaction score
I have some sympathy for the original poster of this thread. When I bought my Droid last November, I knew 3 things:

1. I don't like the physical keyboard. I can do without completely or at least have the darn thing centered correctly with a little bigger buttons that my big fingers can click.

2. I knew that this is just the beginning. I told my wife that 2010 will be the year that we're going to start to see awesome new Android phones and that she should wait for a few months before she replaces her phone. Unfortunately, I could not wait. I was on a Razor and was dying to get a smart phone.

3. I was aware of the soon to be released Qualcomm 1Ghz Snap Dragon processor or whatever they call it.

I went ahead and bought the Droid anyway fully aware of the "issues" and knowing that this phone will be outdated withing 4-6 months. I could not wait no more and I was not willing to be locked with an iPhone. Most likely I will be with this phone for two years before upgrading again...

After seeing the pictures of the Motorola Shadow, I started drueling! it looks so nice! They finally centered the keyboard and it is much thinner that the Droid. I am sure the weight is also reduced.

For now, I am happy with my Droid and I am patiently waiting for the 2.1 update :)