Greed?

schertz7

Reaction score
I don't know about anybody else, but I for one feel a little used and abused. A little more than a month ago I bought what I thought was the best phone availble to the market (Droid). Now google and motorola have released numerous "super phones" almost directly after. I'm a little more than upset about this, how do they expect to build a proper fan base, i.e. iPhone followers, if each time they release a phone they step on all their customers the next month with a better phone????

iPirate

Reaction score
Droid > "super phone"

What is wrong with the Droid or what is better about the other phones?

Last edited:

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Theres always a better gadget down the line..

Buy a top of the line PC today and next month Intel releases a faster CPU.
Buy a new iPod today and in 2 weeks Apple will announce the next generation.

Gadget buyers know that something newer is weeks if not days away from being released.. the question is do you like what you're looking at enough to buy it today without any remorse?

I for one am EXTREMELY happy with my Droid.
Even *IF* Apple does announce that iPhone 4g will be coming to VZW at their presser in a couple weeks I wont have any regret for choosing this device.

mikes

Reaction score
You obviously thought the Droid offered value-for-the-money when you bought it, and it can do more today than when you bought it. Maybe if I complain, maybe Sony will take back that 13" Trinitron I bought for $400 back in 1980, and I can go out and buy a 32" flatscreen.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's hard to keep everybody happy. No matter how good something is people will still complain.

OP does it occur to you that we will soon be on the same OS as the N1? And there hasn't been a "whole bunch" of phones, just the Nexus 1 and that is a #fail in regards to sales.

I don't feel used, abused or anything. I'm very happy with the Droid even with the current OS.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I don't know about anybody else, but I for one feel a little used and abused. A little more than a month ago I bought what I thought was the best phone availble to the market (Droid). Now google and motorola have released numerous "super phones" almost directly after. I'm a little more than upset about this, how do they expect to build a proper fan base, i.e. iPhone followers, if each time they release a phone they step on all their customers the next month with a better phone????

The problem is that while Apple's market strategy is to have only one phone with their operating system being sold at a time, Google/Android is instead taking the "attack from multiple angles" approach to competition, trying to bring as many people into it's userbase as possible. It's a wise strategy, save for a few sore feelings here and there (often times a result of a conversion from the Apple market). By building multiple phones with different features appealing to different consumer markets, Google/Android is wisely gaining market share by appealing to as many people as possible. The Droid had a strong consumer following, as we see with this forum. Problem is, it didn't appeal to everyone. The physical keyboard wasn't appealing to many. The aesthetics of the device were attractive to some, but others found the design to be clunky and unappealing.

Even the iPhone isn't immune to this problem. There are a few people (myself included) who feel that the design is far too feminine (And, we saw Verizon take advantage of this fact with their "Droid is not a princess phone" TV advertisement.), and that the aluminum-appearance of the rear of the device looked cheap. Thing is, many people have simply put these dislikes aside, having realized that Apple is following anything but a typical marketing strategy, and will not be making additional devices in the same generation that look different.

I think you'll find that over time, customer satisfaction will climb with Android devices. With the iPhone, Apple's herds of sheep have accepted what they are given over time. The few that may have had qualms about the design of the device have decided to stop complaining, because it was clear that Apple just didn't give a damn. With Android, if someone wants a physical keyboard, they can look to the Droid, or one of the other Android phones with physical keyboards. If they don't want a physical keyboard, they can go to the Nexus One or the Droid Eris.

While you may feel "used and abused" by Google/Android when your device suddenly isn't the top of the line phone a few months after you purchase it, you have to realize that in reality, this is probably a better market strategy for the Android operating system.With multiple devices from multiple different manufacturers with different features and selling points on each, it is much more likely that a customer looking for certain things in a cellphone will find a model with Android that has most of if not all of the features that they desire. With the iPhone, it's take-it-or-leave-it.

Android is always developing, and more importantly, because of Android, smartphone development is increasing. In the end, this is better for the consumer, pure and simple.

If you want to feel special about your phone for a year, go get an iPhone. You'll be one of a zillion people with an iPhone, but at least you can feel special knowing that you have the best iPhone available for a year or so. But if you want to be part of a revolution in smart phones, if you want to be part of a non-static community, one that is constantly on the move and is constantly moving towards bigger and better (both software and hardware), then you'll want to stick with Android. The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

redpillorbluepill.jpg

allikanbe

Reaction score

Damn, women complain about the same thing. You date them a few times and then sure enough something new comes along - newer, upgraded, more gadgets, etc. Dump the old for the new if you can. :)

SGTiger

Reaction score
A little more than a month ago I bought what I thought was the best phone availble to the market (Droid).

I have yet to see any thing better than the Droid. To each his own I guess, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i love my droid. it does so much more than i expected it to be capable of, and i,ve only had it a couple of months. sorry but you're wrong. the droid IS the best phone in the market, especially considering the network it's on.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
I love how some people think just because a new product is out, suddenly what they have becomes "junk".

I need to find someone with last years Ferrari Modena that has the same mindset.

OP
schertz7

schertz7

Reaction score
I love how some people think just because a new product is out, suddenly what they have becomes "junk".

I need to find someone with last years Ferrari Modena that has the same mindset.
In no way do I think my phone is junk. I love this phone, my question and concern was towards the market moving too quickly for a solid fan base to take hold. But a couple of comments have made some good points about having multiple phones with the same OS to meet everyones needs and not just a single "here ya go" phone that everyone has to get used to.

OP
schertz7

schertz7

Reaction score
And there hasn't been a "whole bunch" of phones, just the Nexus 1 and that is a #fail in regards to sales.
Motorio? 8 megapixel camera, as well as some retarded amount of internal memory

droiddoes1912

Reaction score
The Motoroi is more meant for South Korea. Yes it is coming here in March, but it doesn't change the fact that the Droid is still an awesome phone.:icon_ banana:

mjs31

Reaction score

In no way do I think my phone is junk. I love this phone, my question and concern was towards the market moving too quickly for a solid fan base to take hold. But a couple of comments have made some good points about having multiple phones with the same OS to meet everyones needs and not just a single "here ya go" phone that everyone has to get used to.

And I hope they keep getting better....That being said, I have yet to see anything I would take over my Droid. This new phone that will be coming to the US looks damn nice, but it is not here yet.
By the way, it is not just phones. Funny to watch the photo forums when new DSLR cameras are released. Some people spend so much time worrying about what will be coming next that they don't enjoy what they have.