Greatest Invasion in History

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by DessoThumbs, Jun 6, 2010.

1. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

Today is the anniversary of D-Day.

Let us all remember fellow Americans who have fought, sacrificed and given their all and often their lives for our Freedom. Not only WWII, but all the conflicts during our nation's history.

Freedom leads to happiness and that is the goal of life.
  2. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

amen to that.
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Semper Fi!

Both of my grandfathers were there.
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

My paternal grandfather was the pilot for a "Flying Fortress" (b-17) over Germany - he pretty much did exactly what the movie Memphis Belle was about. (The story of "Screwball Express" and it's crew was written by the original bombardier) He's 92 and still plays tennis a few times a week with his buddies who are 20+ years younger... they do play doubles, though. ;)

My maternal grandfather was in the OSS during WWII - which I believe is now the CIA? It's a really interesting story and I didn't even know about it until after he had passed a couple of years ago.

Greatest generation indeed... we wouldn't be where we are without what they did. My grandfather's were huge influences on who I am today, which hopefully makes them proud!
  5. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

I miss my Grandaddy every day. He and Grandma raised me. They were the epitome of fine folks.

My wife's mom is from Germany and lived in a town called Konns (sp?). She was 17 during WWII and it was her job to sound the air raid siren up in a tower. She and her parents were absolutely against Hitler and even harbored a teenage Jewish girl. They saw Hitler and his army marching down the street and refused to Heil or whatever it's called. She's in her 80s and has some interesting tales. Since my better half is half German I call her sour kraut all the time. :)
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You should see if she would recored or video those stories.
  7. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

My bro in law did some pretty detail memoirs. As a matter of fact, he did a term paper from them in High School
    Yeah, she loves to talk and could easily fill up a few terabyte hard drives with videos :)