Great Head Unit that works with the Droid

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
I recently bought the Kenwood KDC-HD942U at Best Buy. I love it. Previously I had a Premier that was very nice but the sub outputs died on me and I wanted the new one to have HD Radio and USB built-in (as well as AUX). This one fit the bill and it actually has better sound quality than my Premier did. I bet its very similar to yours on the inside. Mine may have more sound and frequency adjustments and whatnot though.

I usually end up using AUX. I do think that USB is a bit higher quality, but I find that navigating the music using my touchscreen is easier than the Kenwoods knobs. I also like that when a call comes in, it mutes the music and I just slide to answer. When done it continues playing. USB requires switching sources back and forth which takes some practice to do without looking...

I like that HU...and that's a great price! And I'm sure like you said they are very similar on the inside. I can already see myself using AUX more than USB for all the reasons you just listed. The only thing I like about the USB is it shows you on the HU display what song/album/artist is playing...but I'll get over that "cool" feature soon. Like I said before, I have never owned any Kenwood products, but I'm very satisfied...and that's saying a lot because all my comparisons are to Alpine products! Alpine is just a little to expensive for a po' man right now...

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have always used Pioneer (and Premier when I can afford it) and was always very happy with their products, but I have to admit, the sound quality on this Kenwood does seem to be a little better. I also like the song info showing on the HU (especially when mine has like 4 lines!) but at the same time, when I use AUX, my phone shows all the info on one screen also.

For now I use AUX for the phone and have a USB stick in there full of music for when I don't feel like hooking up the phone.

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
Haven't tried sticking a USB drive yet. Was listening to Pandora through AUX on the way to work this morning and was VERY VERY surprised at the sound quality. This "phone", if you can even call it that, is so awesome.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer poineer deh-p7000b and I LOVE IT.... connects my Bluetooth for phone and Audio it has a USB port IF I choose to mount my USB on the droid and use the SDcard for music OR I could use the Aux plug and use a male to male cable

my method of using the droid is Bluetooth. its wireless, hands free, and sounds plenty fine for me

-=Jason=-

Paul_C

Reaction score
This is another good one:
Amazon.com: Dual XHD7714 AM/FM/CD player and HD Radio Built-it iTunes Tagging: Electronics

I knwo it's a dual or whatever, but this thing is great for a droid. You can stream via bluetooth. You can even use the unit or remote to change tracks pause and play. So it pretty much fully integrates. You can mount the usb and play it that way. You can use a 2 way headphone jack and play it that way as well. It also has built in hd radio! I love this stereo with my droid. I can charge the droid while driving around listening to the playlists I want, or stream pandora.

I just got this head unit and am getting odd results via usb:
-the unit changes to usb mode and starts trying to read
-my droid screen turn on like it does when I plug it in elsewhere

however:
-the "usb connected" notification doesn't come up on the droid
-the droid doesn't charge

Is this stuff working differently for you?

NoraElZee

Reaction score
I've got the same Kenwood KDC-MP345U stereo - the USB works great with the droid, but is very particular about how many folders you have. It's easiest to simply dump songs into one folder. Using a music organizer like Double Twist seems to have just confused the HU - I'll just be dragging and dropping songs in from now on.

There are so many car stereos out there that have "iPod Control" but no Android support - I'm waiting for the magical app that will fix that problem, maybe make the stereo think it's reading an iPod...

The Kenwood's a great unit, however! Can't beat the price and I was able to install it myself with the Crutchfield instructions. Now I can endure any commute.

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
I've got the same Kenwood KDC-MP345U stereo - the USB works great with the droid, but is very particular about how many folders you have. It's easiest to simply dump songs into one folder. Using a music organizer like Double Twist seems to have just confused the HU - I'll just be dragging and dropping songs in from now on.

There are so many car stereos out there that have "iPod Control" but no Android support - I'm waiting for the magical app that will fix that problem, maybe make the stereo think it's reading an iPod...

The Kenwood's a great unit, however! Can't beat the price and I was able to install it myself with the Crutchfield instructions. Now I can endure any commute.

Yeah, I don't even use the USB feature anymore, just the aux...to much trouble! It is nice to have that option if I want it.

garyhesq

Reaction score
This is another good one:
Amazon.com: Dual XHD7714 AM/FM/CD player and HD Radio Built-it iTunes Tagging: Electronics

I knwo it's a dual or whatever, but this thing is great for a droid. You can stream via bluetooth. You can even use the unit or remote to change tracks pause and play. So it pretty much fully integrates. You can mount the usb and play it that way. You can use a 2 way headphone jack and play it that way as well. It also has built in hd radio! I love this stereo with my droid. I can charge the droid while driving around listening to the playlists I want, or stream pandora.

Just an FYI Amazon might have a price mistake on this radio right now. It's coming up at 40.82!

micjmac

Reaction score
So can you charge the android phones with the USB cable connected to the HU, WHILE you stream pandora or play MP3s via AUX?

Ironcross619

Reaction score
I bought a Dual XHD7714. I love the radio. I have recently bought a Android and would like to know if there is a secret to get it work. I am some what new with Androids. I've gotten my iPod Touch to work, haven't tried a USB Flash Drive yet. Every time I connect the Android via USB [Phone is set to auto USB MASS] the radio just sits there "Connecting" with the USB icon displayed.

Does music need to be in a certain folder? Not in a folder? If you guys could share some insight on how to get music playing via USB via Android on a Dual XHD7714 that would be appreciated.

The phone connects via Bluetooth no problem, and charges.

Thanks.

Last edited: