Great Article About the Verizon Late Update.

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
I'm still torn between whether to go thru with it or not. Just dont know if i can deal with a buggy phone. I guess I need to read up some and go from there. Maybe if we're lucky the ota will come out before I decide.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm still torn between whether to go thru with it or not. Just dont know if i can deal with a buggy phone. I guess I need to read up some and go from there. Maybe if we're lucky the ota will come out before I decide.
Buggy really depends on what ROM you go for really. Also what kernel and performance settings you have it at. You can definitely opt for a ROM that's more stock and have more stability and less features. Alot of the big name devs have very stable ROMs and when I was using a few they weren't buggy at all.

Remember you should always do a backup of your stock ROM and if you don't like the new custom ROM of choice you can always flash back.

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
I see some of the toolkits and different roms looking through the stickies. What's a good one to go thru with so I know what I'm doing rooting my Nexus?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I see some of the toolkits and different roms looking through the stickies. What's a good one to go thru with so I know what I'm doing rooting my Nexus?
Honestly, read them all. It may be information overload, but it's better to be well informed than have any lingering questions. I've usually directed people to Wug's Toolkit, but GalaxyNexus Toolkit is pretty good as well. As for ROMs, that's definitely a personal preference. I'm not sure of the list of ROMs here at DF, but if you head over to XDA or Rootzwiki there are definitely more there. Also, check out our sister site for the Galaxy Nexus and you can find a ton of info there as well: Galaxy Nexus Forum - Samsung Galaxy Nexus Community

acalla4

Reaction score
We were all at that step the first time we rooted. I remember I was a wreck with my OG Droid when I was debating rooting or not. I ended up rooting it about 6mo into ownership and I never looked back.

The great thing about the OG Droid and our Nexus is that they were pretty much impossible to brick. I mean you really have to try to brick the Nexus (and I mean getting the wrong ROM or something that is almost obviously not correct). One-click toolkits make the process is even easier and more user-friendly/straightforward. I understand if people are still uncomfortable even with this method, it is a scary thing to "hack" your phone. But for me, the fact that contacts were backed up to my google account and apps could easily be recovered as they're also tied to my google account made the decision easier. Rooting, back around the OG Droid time wasn't as simple as one-click, but still easy enough to follow(thanks to the quality writeups found here at DF among other boards). Also making sure I had backups, after root of course, eased my mind as well in case I screwed things up (which I did). It's all about double or triple checking the steps and making sure you have the correct versions of what you want to flash. Once you get over the first bump, you're on your way to being a flash-o-holic:D

Advice I always give to those curious of root. When they upgrade to their next device, try rooting the old one. If you're comfortable in doing that it'll be a similar process with your new phone, if you choose to stick with Android of course.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was on the Thunderbolt before deciding to buy my Nexus. I came here for reviews. Even with all the complaints about lack of updates, bad radios, etc, I still went for it. Knowing how easy it would be to unlock and root this phone made the decision all the more easy for me. The Toolkit basically does everything for you but click. There are step-by-step instructions about how to do everything. I read, re-read, then re-read again just to make sure I had all the steps down. I even had a YouTube video with how to use the toolkit running at the same time, pausing before I was ready to go to the next step. I've been through several roms before I found the one I like (Carbon), and I can't imagine going back to stock. The guys at Carbon have done an amazing job with everything; especially with keeping everything looking stock (for the most part).
Also, what gets me is that some people ON DF, know how much help there is available to you, whether by posting a new thread or by simply using the search option. It's what helped me every step of the way. Don't be scared. Read up. Do your research. There's plenty information out there that should ease your mind.
I made the decision, and like most, I haven't looked back. No reason to. You own a Nexus. Act like it.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. I was on the Thunderbolt before deciding to buy my Nexus. I came here for reviews. Even with all the complaints about lack of updates, bad radios, etc, I still went for it. Knowing how easy it would be to unlock and root this phone made the decision all the more easy for me. The Toolkit basically does everything for you but click. There are step-by-step instructions about how to do everything. I read, re-read, then re-read again just to make sure I had all the steps down. I even had a YouTube video with how to use the toolkit running at the same time, pausing before I was ready to go to the next step. I've been through several roms before I found the one I like (Carbon), and I can't imagine going back to stock. The guys at Carbon have done an amazing job with everything; especially with keeping everything looking stock (for the most part).
Also, what gets me is that some people ON DF, know how much help there is available to you, whether by posting a new thread or by simply using the search option. It's what helped me every step of the way. Don't be scared. Read up. Do your research. There's plenty information out there that should ease your mind.
I made the decision, and like most, I haven't looked back. No reason to. You own a Nexus. Act like it.
+100 on do your research/homework.I can say more,but I'm gonna be nice.

Sent from my S3 rockin Jellybean 4.1.1

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
It would be so much more comforting if i had something to trial and error on. Finally gave in and made the attempt to root. Obviously not as easy as I thought since I've yet to get it to work.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be so much more comforting if i had something to trial and error on. Finally gave in and made the attempt to root. Obviously not as easy as I thought since I've yet to get it to work.
I had to do it 3-4 times before I corrected what I was doing wrong.

Sent from my S3 rockin Jellybean 4.1.1

Hugg727

Reaction score
Try Shiny

I was on Bugless beast for quite a while but when Pete stopped supporting it I found Shiny
[ROM][AOSP][4.2.2](3/3/2013) "Shiny", OTA-Like, Stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 - No bugs! - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

It has the closest stock experience and the support has been great. I am on 4.2.2 with Lean Kernel and there are ZERO issues with this setup....buttery smooth.
This was my first Android device, so rooting was new to me as well. Like Dezy says, Wugs Tool Kit is very helpful for unlocking / rooting. After you flash the first time, it takes 10 - 15 minutes whenever a new version of the ROM comes out.

I have friends that have S3 and Note 2's and they cant believe how good my phone works.

Let us know if you need help, thats what the forum is for!

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I was on Bugless beast for quite a while but when Pete stopped supporting it I found Shiny
[ROM][AOSP][4.2.2](3/3/2013) "Shiny", OTA-Like, Stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 - No bugs! - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

It has the closest stock experience and the support has been great. I am on 4.2.2 with Lean Kernel and there are ZERO issues with this setup....buttery smooth.
This was my first Android device, so rooting was new to me as well. Like Dezy says, Wugs Tool Kit is very helpful for unlocking / rooting. After you flash the first time, it takes 10 - 15 minutes whenever a new version of the ROM comes out.

I have friends that have S3 and Note 2's and they cant believe how good my phone works.

Let us know if you need help, thats what the forum is for!

WOW! I had not realized that Pete has stopped supporting the nexus as well .. that's a statement within itself.