Grandfathered unlimited vzw, tether, and a tablet

jpayne97

Reaction score
I'm grandfathered into the unilimited data on my OG Droid and was told yesterday at a store that if I add the tether option for $30 to it BEFORE I upgrade to a 4G LTE phone that I will have unlimited data tether on that 4G phone. Wondering if its worth it or not. I'm getting the Nexus whenever it does come out this month and preordered the transformer prime. Not sure how much I will need data when I am not at home with the tablet. Does anyone out there have some insight into how much you actually need data on a tablet when not at a house? Do you use it that often to make it worth it? I don't really see me needing this very often. Then again, its the only way to get the unlimited data tether option.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Depends on what you use that tablet for. If you plan on doing nothing, but watch youtube videos the data will rack up quickly. Depending on what sites you go to as well can contribute quite a bit.

Now would I ever get a tethering plan? No. I personally don't think it's right that Verizon charges a tethering plan onto the same data we get in our phones. I know I would never use my data that much for my tablet (xoom) even if I'm on the road.

jseah

Reaction score
From what I understand, you do not need to sign up for the tethering now while you are still on a 3G phone. In fact, while still using a 3G phone, if you sign up for tethering, you will just be given the 2 GB plan. If you have unlimited data now, then you will get unlimited data if you upgrade to a LTE phone. Then once you have a LTE phone with unlimited data, then when you sign up for tethering, you will get the unlimited tethering. If you have a LTE phone with tiered data, then signing up for tethering will give you tiered tethering.

breedingh8

Reaction score
I'm grandfathered into the unilimited data on my OG Droid and was told yesterday at a store that if I add the tether option for $30 to it BEFORE I upgrade to a 4G LTE phone that I will have unlimited data tether on that 4G phone. Wondering if its worth it or not. I'm getting the Nexus whenever it does come out this month and preordered the transformer prime. Not sure how much I will need data when I am not at home with the tablet. Does anyone out there have some insight into how much you actually need data on a tablet when not at a house? Do you use it that often to make it worth it? I don't really see me needing this very often. Then again, its the only way to get the unlimited data tether option.

I'm also in the same boat however I am rooted and use wifi tether for my GT... Works great.. I went from 3g to 4g with all data unlimited..? Sounds fishy to me

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums