Grabbing an .apk?

meganimel

Reaction score
Hey, so earlier today I was trying to find a way to reactivate my old Droid 1 phone to grab an app from the market and found out that old phones cannot be reactivated, so, I have this question.

Can I download an app from th android market on my Droid X and grab the .apk from it and push it over to my old Droid 1? What I'm wanting to do is turn it into a webcam, since I can't currently afford one. I'm trying to get the .apk from the USB webcam app. I'd just use my Droid X, but it doesn't scale right with the camera.

So, how do I download an app and grab the .apk for it? And what's the command for pushing one to my old Droid and installing it?

Thanks in advance!

OP
meganimel

meganimel

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this!

I'd ask for the command to push it over, but I'm sure I can find that on my own. There's probably over 9000 tutorials!

darthrogue

Reaction score
I can't say that I know how to do this without astro (epic file browser, PM me if my idea works and you want it, it will make installing APK files easier...), but I know that PDANet transfers and initiates an installer, so i'm sure there is a way to do this with ADB... I wish you luck...

Also, another thought, if you browse to the page on your droid over wifi, you should be able to install it from the downloads window

hacku

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this!

I'd ask for the command to push it over, but I'm sure I can find that on my own. There's probably over 9000 tutorials!

If you have Astro on your Droid, just copy the file to your SD card and install it.

OP
meganimel

meganimel

Reaction score
Astro says it has expired on my old phone. Guh. It wont let me continue either. I think I'll just find instructions to install it via SDK. D:

Thanks anyways, though. If Astro would work, this would be a breeze!

OP
meganimel

meganimel

Reaction score
so I tried to install using Terminal Emulator, and it said "Cannot create /system/app/usbwebcam.apk" Read-only file system" how do I fix this? Guh.

Can I not do anything since I no longer use my Droid 1?

darthrogue

Reaction score
have you tried manually typing in the URL for the APK file I sent you?
If that works, i'll give you the latest astro too

OP
meganimel

meganimel

Reaction score
Guh, well that was cause I had my card mounted. I'm a genius.

Anyways, now its saying "Install: cannot stat 'usbwebcam.apk': no such file or directory. Whhyyy. I'm doing everything right, you know... cd /sdcard and stuff like that. I must have missed something, but what?

OP
meganimel

meganimel

Reaction score
have you tried manually typing in the URL for the APK file I sent you?
If that works, i'll give you the latest astro too

Well, I ended up renaming the .apk to just usbwebcam.apk to simplify it. And its sitting on the root of my sdcard, so I can't see where the problem lies.

Astro would be amazing, if I can get .apk's to install. I don't know how it found out it was out of date, though, being not connected to the internet and all.

darthrogue

Reaction score
A) The designer of Astro put in a failsafe so that it expires after time...
B) If you use the web browser to download it, your should be able to execute it from the notifications bar with the android stock app installer...
C) Why don't you have wifi???

fichdak

Reaction score
do you have adb and the drivers installed (assuming you're on windows)?

OP
meganimel

meganimel

Reaction score
Okay, I got it installed.

... but... it no longer resizes to my phones camera like it did last week. Guh. The universe must hate me.