Gps

frank999

Reaction score
I am looking for a couple of things;

1. ANy way to make Google maps go full screen. When I have it in my car, unless i use the navigation driving directions, i can't clear the top task bar that takes up real-estate on the screen.

2. The GPS works even without WIFI / 3G as we know. However, if I am driving whilst on a call and getting say a 1x signal, driving directions are lost. Also, have to reconnect because they are not cached. Is TomTom or Garmin or some other technology available so I can use my GPS even with no internet or wireless connection, i.e. fully offline.

Thanks,

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
The GPS on the D2 and DX use satellites to direct it, not cell phone service. I have used it plenty of times out in the middle of nowhere with no 0 bars, no 3G, much less WiFi.

OP
F

frank999

Reaction score
The GPS on the D2 and DX use satellites to direct it, not cell phone service. I have used it plenty of times out in the middle of nowhere with no 0 bars, no 3G, much less WiFi.

That's what I said! I think :) What I am looking for is a map/navigation, for offline use when I only have GPS. If I have wifi, it works fine (Google maps or navigation).

setyourgoals

Reaction score

Actually, if i'm not mistaken, google maps + navigation does require mobile internet. Well at least initial startup, because if your not able to receive mobile internet then google maps cannot pull up the data (streets, location, etc) to use with the gps.

Correct me if I'm incorrect?

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
In your app drawer click on the blue arrow, it is a navigation app that works directly off satellites. Able to show you your location on a map in real time, as well as route you to from destinations.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score

Actually, if i'm not mistaken, google maps + navigation does require mobile internet. Well at least initial startup, because if your not able to receive mobile internet then google maps cannot pull up the data (streets, location, etc) to use with the gps.

Google Maps uses internet/cell phone service to work, because of the detail on the maps. Navigation (blue arrow) only needs satellites, it works like any TomTom, Magellan, etc........ Only showing you limited info but can still get you where you need to get.

setyourgoals

Reaction score

Google Maps uses internet/cell phone service to work, because of the detail on the maps. Navigation (blue arrow) only needs satellites, it works like any TomTom, Magellan, etc........ Only showing you limited info but can still get you where you need to get.

Hmmm, I was actually curious and tried this myself. I turned OFF my data connection (Settings>Data Manager>Data Delivery>Unchecked "Data enabled" and "Background data", and enabled my gps and then opened up Navigation. I actually already had a recently saved place (restaurant less than 5 miles from me) so i did not even have to search for a destination. As I clicked the address it seemed like it began to start-up fine, but then preceded to hang at the loading of "Getting driving directions". I let it sit for about 10 minutes before it finally announced that "Data Connection was lost".

Seems as if mobile internet(3g,wifi) is required for navigation.

To answer the OP's question, you can find apps in the marketplace that allow you to preload maps onto your sd card so mobile connection is not required.

OP
F

frank999

Reaction score
I have been using Maverick for offloading map data to use when I only have GPS and no wifi/3G. I am finding doc out there on how to load maps on the SD drive for offline working but it's not easy and I couldn't find any TOMTOM or Gamrin apps which is really what I want. i can use my Garmin Nuvi but I wanted to use the Droid X.. I will keep looking.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score

Hmmm, I was actually curious and tried this myself. I turned OFF my data connection (Settings>Data Manager>Data Delivery>Unchecked "Data enabled" and "Background data", and enabled my gps and then opened up Navigation. I actually already had a recently saved place (restaurant less than 5 miles from me) so i did not even have to search for a destination. As I clicked the address it seemed like it began to start-up fine, but then preceded to hang at the loading of "Getting driving directions". I let it sit for about 10 minutes before it finally announced that "Data Connection was lost".

Seems as if mobile internet(3g,wifi) is required for navigation.

To answer the OP's question, you can find apps in the marketplace that allow you to preload maps onto your sd card so mobile connection is not required.

Yes, you are correct. Forgive me if my information was misleading.

It may only be needed initially to send the phone route info, from there the GPS satellites merely interpret the info and direct you (regardless if there is a signal or not, I have used nav in the middle of nowhere a few times now).

setyourgoals

Reaction score
I am looking for a couple of things;

1. ANy way to make Google maps go full screen. When I have it in my car, unless i use the navigation driving directions, i can't clear the top task bar that takes up real-estate on the screen.

If it's the notification bar your talking about, the only thing I could suggest to you is using a different home launcher, such as ADW or Launcher Pro. Both have settings in which you can enable that hides the notification bar.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
Co-Pilot (already mentioned in the thread) and N-Drive use downloaded maps and so don't need a cell signal. Google will cache maps around your route for some distance and continue routing when on a short call, but not for very far.

There was an announcement a few days ago about a new HTC phone coming out with Tomtom maps built in. (see http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/90491-htc-going-kill-free-turn-turn-directions.html) I Would like to see it available for all Android. And now that the Garmin/ASUS partnership looks like it blew up, I would like to see Garmin bring their NuviPhone software to the market instead of tying it to one phone on T-Mobile.

Alan

harv2000

Reaction score
Wanted to add to the discussion that Copilot USA is an app put out by Copilot that seems to be full featured at $4.99. I've been impressed so far (still inside the 24 hour trial period).

techguru

Reaction score
Wanted to add to the discussion that Copilot USA is an app put out by Copilot that seems to be full featured at $4.99. I've been impressed so far (still inside the 24 hour trial period).

I have heard some complaints that the maps may be somewhat outdated, but Co-Pilot is a good app. Been around a long time on other platforms so they know what they are doing. $4.99 is a great price for USA maps even if they are somewhat out of date.

Alan