gps

dro-idiot

Reaction score
how do i find out what app is using gps signal? i tried closing everything but the gps icon is still flashing. if i go into settings, loc and sec, i can turn it off but it doesn't say what's using it. please help. tried to search "gps" but turned up no results!? mahalo in advance.

eshef

Reaction score
That happens to me with Maps and Weatherbug if I hit the Home button instead of the back arrow. For some reason I have trouble remembering to back out! :icon_ nono2:

iPirate

Reaction score
ive had this happen with the browser, maps and bar code scanner

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
if i just keep hitting the back button, would that close everything i have open or do i have to actually close it? gps icon went away, don't know why, and now it's back on again, don't know why? not using anything that would require gps. here's what i have in case you're wondering what would use gps:
bt toggle
fast call
gesture search
gstrings
home++
maps
mylock
pandora
retro clock
ultimate stopwatch
none of which i am using now (that i know of) and the gps icon is going to town. any thoughts?

ShowTime

Reaction score
Go to Settings > applications > running services.. and see what's running when the icon shows up. Let us know and we might be able to diagnose. If there's no obvious choice there, it may be the browser. There's an easy fix for that, if it isn't an obvious app.

eliassami5

Reaction score
using the browser with google set as your home page? If you have the auto locate setting on the google home page and it dosent detect your location then it will stay on sometimes after you back out of the browser and wont go away till it finds a signal. I turned off auto locate for that reason.

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
Go to Settings > applications > running services.. and see what's running when the icon shows up. Let us know and we might be able to diagnose. If there's no obvious choice there, it may be the browser. There's an easy fix for that, if it isn't an obvious app.

holy crap! there's all kinds of stuff going on. is that what a task /app killer program would control? gps is not on now so i don't know whats causing it. at least i know where to look when it happens again. very cool, thanks.

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
using the browser with google set as your home page? If you have the auto locate setting on the google home page and it dosent detect your location then it will stay on sometimes after you back out of the browser and wont go away till it finds a signal. I turned off auto locate for that reason.

yes but i think it's disabled. "allow use of device location?" is checked no. is that the one? opened maps, gps icon came on, then backed out, icon went out immediately. go figure. at least i have a few things i can check now when it happens again. thanks a lot.

ShowTime

Reaction score
In answer to your question... eh yes and no. I stand firm in my stance that you do not need a task killer. A lot of that stuff "running" is tied into the OS and even if you kill it, it will always restart. Also, because of the way the OS works, having apps listed as "running" doesn't necessarily mean they are actively being used. Many apps will show up even though they are actually just waiting in the background, not using any resources, so that the next time you need them they can respond faster.

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
In answer to your question... eh yes and no. I stand firm in my stance that you do not need a task killer. A lot of that stuff "running" is tied into the OS and even if you kill it, it will always restart. Also, because of the way the OS works, having apps listed as "running" doesn't necessarily mean they are actively being used. Many apps will show up even though they are actually just waiting in the background, not using any resources, so that the next time you need them they can respond faster.

ok. thanks for the info. gps icon always went off when i backed out of whatever i was doing last night so haven't been able to track it down.