Gps?

SoSa

Reaction score
So I'm sure this question will show how new I am to all of this, but can someone please explain the pros and cons to having GPS on? My battery life seems to be better with it off but by having it off am I not letting certain apps run the way they should be?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gps gives a more precise trading of your location. Without it on, many apps will use cell towers to attempt to triangulate your position. The only way gps uses the battery at all is when you see the little satellite icon in your notification bar. The phone only uses it when it needs it, and it's not using battery unless the phone shows it as active.

Hope that helps a little!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
SoSa

SoSa

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it does help ... I norm. keep the GPS always on, not really sure why. I guess that I felt apps and the phone itself would run better with the GPS on, there are times when the GPS icon is in my notification bar for long periods of time I just don't know why. Guess I'll just stick to leaving it on. lol

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should look into that.

A common issue is that by default location is enabled for the Google home page in the stock browser. It will try to use GPS. Leaving the browser on that page can leave GPS active.

It's also possible that another app is using GPS when it shouldn't be. Or that an app uses GPS more often than you expect.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed! Download systempanel from the market. It gives you a good look at what's running in the background and how long it's been doing it. If it's something that uses gps and it's running all day in the background, that could be your issue...

OP
SoSa

SoSa

Reaction score
Agreed! Download systempanel from the market. It gives you a good look at what's running in the background and how long it's been doing it. If it's something that uses gps and it's running all day in the background, that could be your issue...

I downloaded the systempanel app (Not really sure what I should or shouldn't be seeing). I currently have these apps set to exclude/ignore.

Android Live Wallpapers
BatterLife
System (System panel)
Alarm clock
Beautiful widgets
Calendar
Gmail
Mobile defense

Anything on this list that shouldn't be? or is there anything thats stock on the phone that also should be on this list? Thanks for the help... :)